Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 1, 2011, 8:25 PM   #1

Default New Ornament for the Front Yard

I somewhat unexpectedly have something new in my front yard.

Earlier this week we had decided to hang on to our Honda Fit, we've been debating getting a new car (at 270,000 miles, the Fit is getting long in the tooth) but decided to wait something like 6 months. It needed tires, and a major tune-up. It also had a check engine light that came on occasionally, so it probably needed to have the O2 sensors replaced. We stopped on Thursday to get the tires replaced and have the codes read. Unfortunately, the code it was throwing most often requires a new catalytic converter - ouch! With the repairs required being half to 2/3 the value of the car, somehow it didn't seem sensible to fix it (and it would have to be fixed this year as the smog check would be required at the next license renewal).

So now any new photo toys will have to wait a year or two or three. Good thing no lenses are really calling my name right now.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 1, 2011, 9:23 PM   #2

Good call. Sometimes it just doesn't pay to hang onto them any more. Besides you have a K5 what more do you need.
tony3dd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2011, 11:18 PM   #3

We recently replaced the air conditioner's compressor and with the new code it looked like the car was going to quickly become expensive to maintain. The engine and the transmission both were fine, but the other stuff can quickly get expensive.

The Fit was a really good car, it was very reliable for over 5 years. The maintenance didn't kill us off either. We had compared getting a new one compared to buying the Prius and were having trouble making up our minds, the reason we had originally decided to hang onto the old Fit for another few months.

Tony - the funny thing is that I really don't have any particular desire to add more lenses. There are several I'd like to buy some day, but don't feel deprived because I don't have them. And I'm very, very happy with the K5, so I'm not reading threads about speculating what it's replacement will be like (other than I was curious about the new 24 mp sensor, to see how it was as far as noise and dynamic range). There's really not any new features around that I'd be interested in, and I don't feel that the K5 is limiting me (I feel like I'm the limiting factor - I still don't know how to get the most out of the K5). So buying the new car isn't going to frustrate me photographically at all.
Old Oct 1, 2011, 11:37 PM   #4

I've never driven a Prius but the Fit are great little cars ! We often holiday in Phuket (we were actually there when the Tsunami hit) and always hire a Honda Fit to use during the vacation, they pull remarkably well for such small engines, even up major inclines on this mountainous island, and with 3 or 4 people in the car) and the juice seems to last forever.

Your new car looks really pretty ! Enjoy.

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2011, 1:54 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
We recently replaced the air conditioner's compressor and with the new code it looked like the car was going to quickly become expensive to maintain. The engine and the transmission both were fine, but the other stuff can quickly get expensive.

The Fit was a really good car, it was very reliable for over 5 years. The maintenance didn't kill us off either. We had compared getting a new one compared to buying the Prius and were having trouble making up our minds, the reason we had originally decided to hang onto the old Fit for another few months.

Tony - the funny thing is that I really don't have any particular desire to add more lenses. There are several I'd like to buy some day, but don't feel deprived because I don't have them. And I'm very, very happy with the K5, so I'm not reading threads about speculating what it's replacement will be like (other than I was curious about the new 24 mp sensor, to see how it was as far as noise and dynamic range). There's really not any new features around that I'd be interested in, and I don't feel that the K5 is limiting me (I feel like I'm the limiting factor - I still don't know how to get the most out of the K5). So buying the new car isn't going to frustrate me photographically at all.
I just want to get the 18-135 lens, and i'm done. The K5 is going to last me at least 3 years. I just can't imagine anything I'd want that I don't already have with the K5.
tony3dd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2011, 2:40 AM   #6

I know the mixed feelings - it's nice to see the new car outside the window (yours really looks nice!), less nice to look into the bank account. But hey ho, you earn money to spend it!

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2011, 5:59 AM   #7

getting the tires replaced and coming back with a new car.

why not, hope this will be as good as your previous.
Old Oct 2, 2011, 6:25 PM   #8

If the Fit gave you 270K miles with reasonable maintenance and repair costs, you did very well. And do I recall that it met up with a bear at some point? I'm glad for you that you are well set for both lenses and a K5, since I know the feeling all to well of wanting to upgrade both lenses and body, but not having the budget to upgrade.

My car (a VW Jetta TDI) has 190K miles, and I'm hoping to run it up to 350-400K.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2011, 7:52 PM   #9

The Honda Fit was pretty remarkable, all in all. It's first mishap was with a bike that fell off a car on a rainy, dark night and it punctured the oil pan, along with some other body damage. That was fairly early-on. Then, as mtnman remembered correctly, it had a run-in with a bear, when traveling about 55 mph, when it had 135,000 miles. The bear disappeared while the Fit came close to being totaled. The whole front end needed to be replaced, and then after the repairs were done I had to take it back to the body shop - no one picked up on the fact the axle was bent, too. So in many ways I was happy I didn't have to sell it privately - by the time I told them about the bear and the possible cat converter problem, along with the 270K miles, I wouldn't have gotten much, if anything. Who wants to buy that much trouble? I didn't mind accepting the $1,000 trade-in the dealer gave me as they will wholesale it out and it will probably be bought for parts, I would guess.

I read to my other half what I wrote above about not having much interest in buying anything photographic at the moment - his comment was that he should send me to a psychologist right away, to find out what the matter was.

We had thought about trying to get the Fit up over 300,000 miles, but it wasn't to be. Perhaps this Prius will go that far, who knows?
Old Oct 2, 2011, 8:25 PM   #10

Well, having seen the Fit, and having seen your camera and lens kit, I think the new car was a good choice. There aren't many empty slots in your lens kit but there are a lot of miles yet to be driven. Hope you enjoy the Prius.
FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, FA 80-320mm f4.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-P2, E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses