Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 2, 2011, 2:26 PM   #1

Default Need helfull suggestions

Hi All

I have the Pentax K-x and the 18-55mm kit lens , the 55-300mm kit lens, also a DA-35mm and a FA-50mm also have an external flash.
I am suppose to take pictures of my in-laws 60th wedding anniversary. I told them I am not a photographer. But they want me to do it anyway. I usually try to shoot in Aperature priority mode. Do you think I should shoot in auto mode with the 18-55mm and external flash and hopefully get some good sharp images.
I really could use some help here I have about 3 weeks before the event.

Thanks
Mark
Panasonic FZ-100, FZ-150, LX5, LX7, Pentax K-x & K-5, Bower Flash, FA-50 1.7,FA-100 2.8, FA-135 2.8, DA-35 2.4,DA-18-135 3.5,DA Limited 15 4, DA Limited 70 2.4, DAL 18-55, DAL 55-300, Pentax 1.7 Teleconverter, Sigma 70-200 2.8
popellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 2, 2011, 4:39 PM   #2

I ran into the same situation some years ago with my son's wedding. Assuming this will be an indoor event, I would try to get access to the place where the event will be held ahead of time so you can do some test shots. I'm not familiar with your Bower flash, but I got some unexpected results with my Pentax FG360 and the 18-55 kit lens. There seems to be a tendancy to under expose. I don't have a K-x but I understand it has great high ISO capability, so if you can do some trials I think I would experiment without flash also. If the place where the event is to be held has windows, I would also try to get some test shots at the same time of day that the event will be held. Daylight coming through windows can create some challenges also. I think I would try to make use of your primes (DA-35, and FA-50) also.

You can google "wedding photography tips" or "event photography tips" to get some advice on camera settings, composition, formal vs candids etc.

Good luck, and congratulations to your in-laws - 60 years is awesome! You don't hear of that everyday (just to add a little more pressure to the photographer).

Jim
a200user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2011, 4:56 PM   #3

I completely agree with Jim -- if you can get into the venue and try some photos before the actual event, that will give you a good idea of what you're in for. I also am not familiar with your flash, but I assume it has an adjustable head. If so, and if the venue has a white ceiling you can get much more natural looking flash photos by setting the flash pointing up at about a 45 degree angle, and bouncing the light off the ceiling. (This is a very basic flash technique. I'm assuming you're fairly new at this -- please excuse me if you're sufficiently far along that you already know this technique.) This technique will not work well if the ceiling is colored, as the light illuminating your subjects will take on the color of the ceiling. I don't know how the Kx communicates with your flash; you might need to adjust the exposure (or kick up the ISO) if you do this.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2011, 7:32 PM   #4

thanks mntman and a200user

The flash is TTL wich I believe is through the lens. It also does swivel so I can bounce the flash. it also has a built in diffuser and a white reflector also. More feature's then this beginner knows what to do with. Yes this event is inside, but I have never been there before. As far as windows not sure if this will be a problem, the event is at 6:00 pm and here the end of October it will be dark out.

Would you use the "Auto Pict" mode or "program Mode" or do you think A priority?

Thanks
Panasonic FZ-100, FZ-150, LX5, LX7, Pentax K-x & K-5, Bower Flash, FA-50 1.7,FA-100 2.8, FA-135 2.8, DA-35 2.4,DA-18-135 3.5,DA Limited 15 4, DA Limited 70 2.4, DAL 18-55, DAL 55-300, Pentax 1.7 Teleconverter, Sigma 70-200 2.8
Old Oct 3, 2011, 7:46 AM   #5

Shoot RAW. It can save the day.
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2011, 12:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by popellis View Post
thanks mntman and a200user

The flash is TTL wich I believe is through the lens. It also does swivel so I can bounce the flash. it also has a built in diffuser and a white reflector also. More feature's then this beginner knows what to do with. Yes this event is inside, but I have never been there before. As far as windows not sure if this will be a problem, the event is at 6:00 pm and here the end of October it will be dark out.

Would you use the "Auto Pict" mode or "program Mode" or do you think A priority?

Thanks
I suggest shooting in A priority so you control the aperature for depth of field. When shooting portraits and people candids with a "busy" background I would want a fairly large aperature (f2.8 or larger) to blur out the background. A small aperature will bring more of the background into focus which could result in a distracting composition. Your primes (DA 35 an FA 50 will come in handy for this as the kit lens will only open to f3.5 and thats at 18mm, as it zooms out it quickly goes to f4. I have a DA 50 F1.4 and it is superior to the kit lens and I am sure your DA 35 and FA 50 are also superior to the 18-55 kit lens.

I also agree with pboerger - shoot RAW - it will give you greater control over making adjustments to exposure and white balance in post processing. If you're not comfortable with RAW post processing I think the K-x can be set to take photos in RAW + jpeg which will give you both file formats.

Jim
a200user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2011, 6:37 PM   #7

Not knowing what Bower flash you have it may not work in "Auto Pict", "program Mode" or A priority modes, I have a Pentax TTL flash and need to use manual (set required aperture and let the flash determine exposure), you need to do some trial shots to better understand you flash and it's capabilities.

Hans

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2011, 7:02 PM   #8

Thank you all for your suggestions I will have to play with it.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 10:10 PM   #9

Remember to take an extra set of batteries for both the camera and the flash - maybe an extra SD card. Swap SD cards 1/2 way through so that if one fails at least you have 1/2 the pictures.

Also, just a thought and I have seen this a couple of times. Put a cheap throwaway cardboard camera on each table, so that all the folks can take pictures and you will have them. You Grandparents are interested in seeing and having pictures of everyone. This way you can get a wide variety for them.

interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2011, 11:05 PM   #10

I agree with everything said here....but, I would add one thing. I have never used the Kx, but I'm assuming it has the RAW+ mode. I usually shoot in this mode for events of this nature. If the JPEG is good, I don't have to take the time for RAW adjustments in post processing. If not, I still have the RAW versions to go back to

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote