Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 2, 2011, 10:05 PM   #1

Default K-5 Jpeg Compression

Okay... I've owned my K-5 for a month but it is only now that I have time to begin playing with it. (I know. I work in news and have a busy life.). My question: Do most K-5 owners set jpeg quality at "premium" (four stars) or the default "best" (three stars)? With my 10mp K200D there was no question - top image size and quality at all times. But this is my first 16mp camera. I am also open to any suggestions about other settings that deviate from factory defaults. Thanks in advance.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 3, 2011, 4:35 AM   #2

Hi Biro,

I shoot jpegs almost exclusively, and have found that there's little difference other than file size between *** and **** for either the K-7 and K-5 for what I consider normal processing of images.

There might be some additional edge artifacts in the *** that are brought out only by extremes in sharpening, especially repeated applications (as when one tries to "save" an image that probably should just be trashed or just printed at a small size to have some record), but for me, these are few enough that I'd rather just spend some extra time in PP than slow down the throughput for every shot.

If you plan to shoot jpegs at higher ISO, I'd suggest trying setting the in-camera sharpening to -4, and do any sharpening in PP after applying a good NR program. I use Topaz plugins for both of these functions (DeNoise and InFocus), and this works out well for me up to @ 10,000, and 12,800 if I really need it. At very high ISO, it always helps to get the exposure pretty close, of course.

I found that ** compression shows some visible artifacts, so if I needed smaller files (either for greater speed or more shots/card), I'd rather cut the resolution than increase the compression, but I've never done this, as I use 16GB cards and have only filled one once on a shoot (400 + shots).

Also, remember that the last shot can be also saved as a RAW file while the file is still in the buffer by chimping and pressing the AEL button, so there's the ability to gain an after-the-fact backup that can accept a higher degree of processing for an important shot.

That's about it, other than my preference for using the "Natural" setting and adding contrast or saturation in PP as needed, but my tastes tend towards less of each of these than a lot of people.

If you shoot jpegs for the speed, it's very important to remember that in-camera Lens Corrections and memory cards slower than 20 MB/sec will slow things down considerably.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2011, 9:51 PM   #3

Thanks, Scott. Your comments are all very helpful. I figured in-camera lens correction would slow things down - just like any additional processing will. I got a great deal at B&H on some SanDisk 45 MB/sec SDHC UHS-1 cards. I realize I don't need quite that much speed but the price was right and at least I know the cards won't slow me down. All of my other cards are SanDisk Extreme 30 MB/sec. I use those in my K200D and my micro four-thirds cameras. And I will definitely try your settings. Hopefully, I'll post pictures soon.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote