Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 8, 2011, 9:19 AM   #11

Congratulations! It was a wonderful shot.

This will be a good topic for me with the new camera. Make me learn something else about it.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2011, 8:28 PM   #12

Okay. After reading the manual today to figure out how to get into the digital filters on the K5 (realized I couldn't be in RAW mode), I played around with some different filters. Tried the Toy Look (??), fisheye and black and white with one color. We were at Nubble Lighthouse at the time. So, here's my first attempt. Now that I know how it works I think I'll try for something else for the month. But, this will get me started.

This was my first processed photo from the K5. I like how this worked. Didn't have to do all the adjustments I used to have to do with the K20.

Patty
Attached Images

Old Oct 9, 2011, 1:05 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhmom View Post
Congratulations! It was a wonderful shot.

This will be a good topic for me with the new camera. Make me learn something else about it.

Patty
Thanks Patty !

Good start with the selective colour shot, I love that filter too. It's great the way you can adjust the strength and also even add a 2nd colour if you wish.

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2011, 9:20 AM   #14

I really want to try the fisheye. It gave some interesting results with the lighthouse yesterday. I didn't realize I could adjust the strength and add another color. Better go back to reading the manual some more.

Patty
Old Oct 9, 2011, 8:00 PM   #15

Patty - cool shot, I like how it came out.

I'm not sure you can add another color - I tried it on the K7 and couldn't make it add a color, just take away the first color so that it was completely b&w. But give it a try and see if it works any differently with the K5. I, too, noticed that the K5's pictures require less processing.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2011, 8:24 PM   #16

Harriet, I was playing with the K5's settings. I think you can add in a second color. I played with it today with some pics of fly fishermen.... nothing I'm ready to post.

Patty, I love the shot you took and the way it worked out. FAR better than anything I've gotten so far.

Great idea for a challenge.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2011, 10:26 PM   #17

Paul - I went out at lunch today with the K5 - you are right, the K5 has the ability to retain two different colors. I'm almost positive the K7 didn't have that option, because I once wanted to do that and got frustrated because I couldn't. That makes the selective desat more interesting to me. This topic is turning out to be even more interesting than I had expected.

Here's my entry for the moment. I may start another thread with some of the other variations I came up with for this picture. And I'm going to continue to play with this, it's just fun.

Water color filter for the first hint of autumn.

Edit: I'm changing my entry. See below for a new message with the new image.

Last edited by mtngal; Oct 20, 2011 at 8:45 AM.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2011, 10:03 AM   #18

mtngal, please start another thread. I am a having a ball playing with the filters, but a terrible time deciding which one to post.
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2011, 11:41 AM   #19

I'm impressed with the results I've seen so far. When I got the kx last year I looked at the filters and thought "gimic" feature and didn't bother to mess with them at all. I'm thinking I may have to spend more time with the gimics.
Osnap65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2011, 11:17 AM   #20

Like everyone else, I'm having fun with this topic with mixed results. For now, this is my entry. Applied the extract color filter and extracted purple, then went back with a high contrast.

(shot pulled for a later entry....see below)

Shot with the K-5 and a Tamron 28-75.

Paul

Last edited by Trojansoc; Oct 25, 2011 at 10:02 PM.
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote