Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 8, 2011, 1:02 AM   #11

I really like the 18-135 WR as a walk-around.... but I would never want to stretch the range any further. I too enjoy the wide ratio on an ultra zoom P and S. And I love my Fuji HS10, but I try to remember that I use a DSLR most of the time because I want the combination of a good body and a good lens. I use the 18-135 when rapid lens changes, or carrying a wide selection of lenses, isn't practical, or when I'm worried about rain, fog, etc. or when I know the situation is going to be essentially a very easy shot and I can get excellent quality without pushing the lens...

I wouldn't push it beyond that.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2011, 9:03 AM   #12

Maybe I should stick with the Pentax 18-135 so I don't end up on the high end of a poorer performance lens. I suppose if I bought the Sigma 18-250 I wouldn't have much use for my 55-300 which really is a nice lens. I also do really like quick shift focus.
tony3dd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2011, 10:15 AM   #13

I do have the Tamron 18-250 that I use if I'm going some place (like Disney) where I want range, but won't have good opportunity for switching lenses. And, if I just want shots. Nothing spectacular. Although, my 18-250 has given me good results. It is a heavy lens, though. So, carrying it around all day can be tiring.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2011, 8:19 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhmom View Post
I do have the Tamron 18-250 that I use if I'm going some place (like Disney) where I want range, but won't have good opportunity for switching lenses. And, if I just want shots. Nothing spectacular. Although, my 18-250 has given me good results. It is a heavy lens, though. So, carrying it around all day can be tiring.

Patty
Hi Patty. How's the new K5 working?
Old Oct 8, 2011, 9:12 PM   #15

Actually, great! I took it today when we went along the coast. I love it! First time I've really been able to get out and use it besides around the yard/house. Quick focusing. Nice coloring. Still trying to learn the controls. But, did okay.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2011, 12:16 AM   #16

Good glad to hear it. Mines been fine as well, but I'm still keeping my fingers crossed.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 2:00 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony3dd View Post
I really Hate to have to change lenses basically because of dust on the sensor. I'm really paranoid about it. I just bought the big rocket blower, but have not used it yet as I rarely change lenses. When I do it's always indoors, but there are so many times thats just not possible. I'm very happy with the results I get from my 55-300. What spoiled me is I came from a Lumix FZ30 with a 12 to 1 zoom. I'm really use to that, but I do love the image quality of the K5 sensor. I was just at Disney World the other day, and took a total of 8 shots because 55mm was just to much zoom for a lot of the shots I wanted.
This may be a little harsh but you really do need to get over this P&S mentality otherwise your excellent camera is going to go to waste and you would have been much better off with a large zoom range bridge camera from Panasonic or Sony.

I've worked alongside many Pros (not usually as a shooter) in the media room as sporting events and half of them don't even care for their cameras as much as we do when changing lenses ... just take a lens off, wander around a bit, have a coffee and a chat, oh and I need to put a lens back on the camera which is still sitting there ! Worse case scenario is you get a little dust which a rocket blower sorts out (and that is maybe a 2 or 3 times a year occurrence).

I did a paid shoot recently where I had no option but to only take one K5 as I haven't yet bought a second K5 to replace the K7 I sold. I must have changed lenses 50 times that day switching back and forth from 300 to 50-150 to 85 to 15 !!

Lose you inhibitions and go forth into the world and enjoy your camera and lenses (plural) !

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2011, 2:58 AM   #18

I have to go with Kevin's last remark. Hard as it may be but you have bought a dslr to have the possibility to change lenses.
ok, there is always a danger of dust bunnies, but I'm talking about very small dust bunnies,
and unless you are changing lenses on the beach or in a desert it's a small change.
And changing lenses at home isn't all that safe either, not many homes are dust proof.

I normally have at least two lenses with me, and I change them when needed.

And when you've got dust inside your camera, a few years back I got myself an artic butterfly.
It's a kind of brush you use to get the dust of the sensor. (the dust sticks to the brush).
Never had any liking for the rocket blower, I always blow the dust around, and seem to be blowing more in than getting out.

With all the changing and messing around, I have to clean my sensor at max 2x a year.

If you're not sure on how to change lenses, Kevins has explained it as good as possible,
so why not try it at home where you feel safe.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 5:42 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie_Traveller View Post
I agree with your worries about dust - my lens swapping is not quite as refined as mole ^ but dust bunnies turn up all too often and really bug me
I can see why many of my more-serious 'tog mates have 2 bodies and just don't change lenses

Regards, Phil
Phil that is more often than not (with Pros) just to save time so they don't miss the shot and really has nothing to do with dust (unless on the beach, in the desert etc.). There is no way you will usually have enough time to faff around changing lenses on a shoot !

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2011, 5:21 PM   #20

Not to beat this thread to death, but as others have said, dust on the sensor is not a huge concern -- especially with the K5, which can shake the sensor, removing all but the most stubborn dust particles. Further, dust on the sensor creates only a small smudge that is almost always simple to fix in pp. Here's an example. Ignore the fact that the shot is terribly out of focus -- that's a separate issue. If you look carefully to the right of the eagle you'll see a small spot -- that's what dust on the sensor will do, and in those rare occasions when I've had a dust spot, 15 seconds with the spot healing brush in PSE takes care of it.
Attached Images

mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote