Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 7, 2011, 1:08 PM   #1

Default Need Advice on Lens

Hi All, I'm still looking for a walk about lens for my K5. I currently have the 18-55, and 55-300. I want a lens I can pretty much keep on the camera 90% of the time. I was looking at the Pentax 18-135, but I would like a bit more reach than that. So I started looking at the Tamron Zoom Super Wide Angle 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 XR Di-II LD Aspherical (IF) Macro Lens for Pentax Digital SLR, and the Sigma Zoom Super Wide Angle 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 DC Aspherical (IF) Lens for Pentax Digital SLR. I want something with reliable focus, and fully compatibility with my K5. I do like the fact that the Pentax is weather sealed mainly to keep dust out. I don't mind spending extra money on the Pentax, but also want the extra reach. Which third party lens matches the K5 body color best? If that 18-135 were 18-200 I'd jump on it. I was also thinking of the Sigma 18-250. I'm not sure I like the Finish on the Sigma lens barrel. I don't know. Any suggestions would be great. Ready to order now.
tony3dd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 7, 2011, 1:31 PM   #2

Tony - why buy a high end camera and put a cheap superzoom lens on it? That just doesn't make sense. The "best" superzoom lens is like the "best D student in the class".
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2011, 1:33 PM   #3

Must agree with John - the first lens I purchased for my K-M was the Tamron 18-250. It was rather convenient to have so much range in one lens, and the color quality was pretty good. But it never did yield very sharp results. Still have that lens, but almost never use it anymore...
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2011, 1:44 PM   #4

I really Hate to have to change lenses basically because of dust on the sensor. I'm really paranoid about it. I just bought the big rocket blower, but have not used it yet as I rarely change lenses. When I do it's always indoors, but there are so many times thats just not possible. I'm very happy with the results I get from my 55-300. What spoiled me is I came from a Lumix FZ30 with a 12 to 1 zoom. I'm really use to that, but I do love the image quality of the K5 sensor. I was just at Disney World the other day, and took a total of 8 shots because 55mm was just to much zoom for a lot of the shots I wanted.

Last edited by tony3dd; Oct 7, 2011 at 1:46 PM.
Old Oct 7, 2011, 1:47 PM   #5

Tony - I've been "out on the trail" on several mountains for much of the past week, changing lenses many times (for example, on today's trip I used 5 different lenses!). If you are careful how you hold the lenses, careful to notice wind direction, and practice changing quickly, dust isn't usually that much of a problem.
Old Oct 7, 2011, 1:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole View Post
Tony - I've been "out on the trail" on several mountains for much of the past week, changing lenses many times (for example, on today's trip I used 5 different lenses!). If you are careful how you hold the lenses, careful to notice wind direction, and practice changing quickly, dust isn't usually that much of a problem.
Ok, what is your procedure for changing lenses quickly? I'm afraid I may drop a lens.
Old Oct 7, 2011, 2:05 PM   #7

My procedure:

Camera strap around neck, with Lens #1 mounted.
Turn so wind is at my back.
Press lens release button and turn lens #1 SLIGHTLY.
Hold lens #2 in left hand, use right hand to remove rear lens cap, and hold lens cap between teeth(!!)
Hold lens #1 (still mounted on camera but ready to be taken off) with right hand.
Keep lens #2 in left hand, hold it just to the left of lens #1, turned so red dot is at the proper location for mounting.
Finish turning lens #1 with right hand so it is ready to be removed.
As right hand takes lens #1 away, left hand places lens #2 into the lens mount.
Turn lens #2 with left hand to mount it securely.
Take rear lens cap with left hand and mount on rear of lens #1.

Sound complicated, but works well & quickly for me.
Have only dropped a lens while mounting once - on a very cold day at a waterfall when my hands were very numb from the cold & damp.

(others may have different/better methods, hope they will "chime in")
Old Oct 7, 2011, 5:06 PM   #8

G'day Tony

I would suggest a compromise ... think about the 18-125 range for a GP lens + the existing 300mm for extras
I agree with your worries about dust - my lens swapping is not quite as refined as mole ^ but dust bunnies turn up all too often and really bug me
I can see why many of my more-serious 'tog mates have 2 bodies and just don't change lenses

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2011, 6:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie_Traveller View Post
G'day Tony

I would suggest a compromise ... think about the 18-125 range for a GP lens + the existing 300mm for extras
I agree with your worries about dust - my lens swapping is not quite as refined as mole ^ but dust bunnies turn up all too often and really bug me
I can see why many of my more-serious 'tog mates have 2 bodies and just don't change lenses

Regards, Phil
Yes, two bodies is really the way to go. No way can I afford that though. I probably should have kept my k7 as the second body seeing how I have the 18-55, and 55-300. That would have been perfect.
Old Oct 7, 2011, 9:48 PM   #10

I change lenses all the time and follow a similar procedure to mole's. The only difference is that I have the new lens in my right hand and remove the old lens with the left. Also, the rear lens cap gets put in a pocket or the camera bag when I'm changing lenses - I can always use a soft lens brush if I get dust on the back element of the old lens before putting the rear cap on. The front caps are on the two lenses during the mounting process, otherwise I end up with fingerprints on the front element (I've learned to check the mounted lens now). I know that many don't change lenses at the beach, but if it's not too breezy and I'm not too close to ocean spray I don't hesitate to change.

Making sure you have your back to the wind is very, very important. Don't ask me how I know about it (once had a DS with a HUGE amount of dust in the viewfinder prism).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote