Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 7, 2011, 3:50 PM   #1

Default Wedding Advice

Some of you know that one of my daughters (Vole) posts here from time to time. Well Vole is getting married this spring, and has asked me to be the "official" photographer!
I did take some photos at her older brother's wedding, and they did come out rather nice, but am definitely not experienced in "people photos," especially not wedding photos. So would be delighted for any advice, suggestions, etc. - suggestions for equipment needed, special methods, or anything else you think might help. Thanks so much!!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 7, 2011, 5:17 PM   #2

Just wishing you luck. I did one of my Son's wedding in may. It was outdoors with tough lighting, my outdoor experience helped there and the photos came out fine. I was a nervous wreck though and do not feel qualified to give advice. I did use fill flash, with a Gary Fong flash suppressor, to fill in shadows in the daylight. I would scout out the locations you will be working in with your camera and a subject to help determine the best lenses and lighting situations. I shot in aperture priority to get the DOF I wanted for the situation. Remember to use smaller aperture for group photos. Good luck, hope to see some great photos , as usual.

Ed
snooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2011, 11:08 PM   #3

Tell her congrats - she hasn't been around recently and I miss her pictures. Can't give you any advice at all, I've actively avoided such situations.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2011, 12:39 AM   #4

I shot the wedding of son #1 with the help of son #3.... at the time my wife threatened with extreme pain if I even considered shooting when either of the others get married....
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2011, 1:32 AM   #5

Seriously.... any help I can give, I'll be happy to offer. I have only done a few weddings, but there are some questions that have to be answered.... the same ones that you'd ask about any shoot.

What are the lighting conditions? What do you consider the highest priority shots? Are there any that will require supplemental lighting?

same questions you would ask on any shot
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2011, 2:40 AM   #6

You are the father of the bride ...... tell her you'll take some shots but hire a Pro who knows what they are doing. There is just so much responsibility in both roles and trying to be both father and official tog will mean both will suffer.

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2011, 5:06 AM   #7

I'm going with Kevin's advice. Hire a pro and see that he/she knows you might be talking pictures to. you're daughter doesn't need to remember her father only behind his camera.
But don't forget to take the camera with you, that pro can't be everywhere.

just my 5c
Old Oct 8, 2011, 7:52 AM   #8

I have been the second shooter for two weddings. It is a highly specialized type of photography, needing sophisticated gear. Wedding moments are once in a lifetime events that cannot be redone. Hire a professional.

Last edited by pboerger; Oct 8, 2011 at 7:54 AM.
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2011, 10:13 AM   #9

I shot a few in the early 80's and it's a pain. As tog you must run the event and keep everything moving to get through the day. The available light shots during the ceremony, the group shots and shots recreating the ceremony at the church are the easy ones. The tog runs the rest of the day to get the required shots. You have to orchestrate all the activities to get the shots. That means the cake cutting, all the dances, throwing the flowers, garter, ring shots, mood shots in the garden or sunset, toasts, wedding party and couples at several locations, table shots and all the ones I just forgot. With all the pressure to not only get the shots but get good shots you will not have time to enjoy the event. Remember you must be in many of the shots. Having said all that if you still want to do this, make a list and agree on all the shots your daughter wants of the event, decide ahead what images you want to shoot yourself, assign someone to get every shot you can't or don't want to take, put disposable cameras on all the tables and ask everyone to take shots of all the couples invited to the event. Ask all your friends to bring digital P&S cameras and provide you with files of the images they shoot, Get with the DJ to as he (or she) has an agenda of things they normally do at a wedding and coordinate your shots with them. We all know you can shoot great images remember to also have a good time, and pass off some of the responsibility.

Hans

Bring lots of batteries, a backup camera, flash and lens, a tripod, just use the kit lens, and a big off camera flash

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:

Last edited by hnikesch; Oct 8, 2011 at 10:42 AM.
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2011, 8:18 PM   #10

Ed - Thanks for the detailed advice. We went to visit this weekend and checked out the lighting, etc at the Church, and tested some lenses. I do not yet have an external flash, but am saving my pennies and hope to purchase one in the next few months, to give me time to learn how to use it...

Harriet - I will tell her she is missed. Her new job has kept her VERY BUSY, and now even busier with wedding preparations!

Paul - Thanks so much for the suggestions - based on your ideas, I have asked them to make a photo list, and will also be asking her 5 siblings to assist as much as possible...

Kevin, Ronny & Pboerger - I appreciate so much your concern - yes, a pro would do a much better job, but would be far beyond their (or our) budget...

Hans - Thanks for the exhaustive (maybe exhausting?) list! Much food for thought...
We are working on the list, and do have some friends & family who will bring their cameras.
mole is offline   Reply With Quote