Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 13, 2011, 2:59 PM   #1

Default In-Camera Filter Discussion & Examples

I'm not trying to take away from this month's challenge, but rather to add some information about in-camera filters. While I have both the K7 and K5, these pictures were all taken with the K5. The two cameras have some differences with the filters, but both more or less work similarly. I would assume both the Kx and Kr would be similar also.

First, what caught my eye when I looked at this construction site was the bright green panels. Here's selective desat, choosing green:

But it looks a bit washed out (was shooting more or less into the sun, there's probably a bit of flare). So no problem, I do the same desat and then instead of saving the result, I add another filter and choose high contrast.

Oh dear, that is a bit bright. Back to the original, add the same desat then add pastel. For some reason (not quite sure what it's supposed to do) it changes the crop on the picture and sharpens the edges.

But wait a minute - maybe I'd rather point out the inspectors going about their job checking out the construction.

What's nice is that you save the changes as a new file, so you can do all kinds of things with it, without changing the original file. Here's the original picture I took:

Switching to a totally different picture:

Here's the original picture, just a flower but its a bit noisy (wasn't paying attention to camera settings when I took it).

Here's the same picture with the soft filter applied. I'm not all that crazy about it over-all, but could see how I could use it parts of it with the original to get what I would like.

I didn't do that as the purpose of this thread was to (hopefully) give people ideas of what the filters do and perhaps spark a way to use them in someone else.

Add a high contrast filter to the soften filter got me this - totally different feel to the picture (perhaps over the top though).

I've got another example with some very different effects caused by the custom filter but I've run out of time on my lunch hour. So that will have to wait until later.

Feel free to jump in with your own examples - this is just for fun, not trying to create a major work of art or anything.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 13, 2011, 4:14 PM   #2

Very interesting, Harriet!
Good example for what can be done with a little experimenting. I wasn't aware you could do that in camera. But then I never really looked into it either.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2011, 9:51 PM   #3

GW - I played with them a bit when I got the K7 but then forgot about them. I'm really glad this topic came up because it's been fun to play with them again.

A couple more examples.

My favorite outdoor bench, always love the weathered wood texture.

This is with the sketch filter:

And the original photo:

Another shot of the bench, this is the original shot:

Pastel filter:

This time I used the sketch filter, which converts the picture to b&w. Then I used the color filter to give it a tint.

There's an option to create a custom filter. There's something like 4 different things you can adjust to create all sorts of effects. Here's one:

And another one, with completely different settings. Bet those who have shot film will recognize one of the parameters I changed.

There's still more filters that I might be interested that I haven't explored yet. I hope that others are having as much fun exploring these as I am - it's some light-hearted fun (not serious photography, but its been bringing a smile to my face as I explore some new things).
Old Oct 13, 2011, 10:44 PM   #4

Very nice subtle use of the filters. I went more extreme and artsy. Both are toy camera with watercolor. A trail through the forest and a garden shot.
Attached Images

pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2011, 8:46 AM   #5

Those two filters seem to work well together for an arty look - think the first one is extremely effective. I'll have to try that combination, so far I've been ignoring both the toy camera and the retro. But looking at these two have given me a couple of ideas to play with.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 12:34 PM   #6

Thanks for introducing this thread Harriett - it's a great idea to get people to experiment a little more with the filters and hopefully to post some really interesting photos in the October comp. thread. The more the merrier and I can see that it could be really difficult trying to find a winner this month !

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2011, 2:03 AM   #7

A few more using soft, watercolor and fisheye. I thought the fisheye was effective to give the trail a sense of being encased in the trees.
Attached Images

pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2011, 5:06 PM   #8

The fisheye filter does some rather strange things, it's not exactly like the effect you get with a true fisheye lens. I like how it worked with Paul's picture, and I thought it was interesting how it affected this picture. It also had selective colors (green and yellow chosen) because I found the red distracting. Here's the picture with the filter applied:

And then the original picture:

I've played around in the past with IR, using a K100 and an R72 filter. The same filter on the K5 acts like a very dark red filter, not capturing any of the reflected IR light from foliage. The IR option on the monochrome filter doesn't exactly re-create what you would see if you were using an IR sensitive camera with an R72 filter, but it gives interesting results. In this example I used both the IR monochrome and the high contrast filters:

And then going back to the selective color option, by selecting both red and yellow I got:

It's fun to be able to add a second color, the yellow load on the crane really added to this picture.

Here's the original:

Yesterday I got much more creative and think I'm going to change my entry for the monthly challenge. Can't decide, more about that later.
Old Oct 15, 2011, 8:46 PM   #9

Had no idea there were so many creative possibilities in the in-camera filters! Not all ones I'd use, but fascinating to see the results...
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2011, 9:30 AM   #10

Another set of examples. I used two filters for most of them and I'm not sure I can completely remember what all I did to them.

Here's the original, somewhat uninspiring picture:

There are elements I really like about this scene, though I thought that the noon lighting doesn't do it any favors at all.

Here I used the monochrome filter and the IR option under it. While the grass looks somewhat close to what I would see using the R72 filter and the K100, the foliage doesn't quite manage to look right to me.

Since IR records reflected IR light from foliage, I then tried the same filter using the green, to see if the effect would be the same (perhaps they were thinking that since foliage is so bright with IR photography, they would lighten the greens to simulate the look). It isn't quite, there's less contrast but it shows the IR option does take the greens into consideration:

Then, to get a bit more creative - I took the monochrome version, added water color for a painting like effect, and then used the custom filter to invert the colors.

Going back to the color version - a custom filter with the colors inverted and probably several other things done to it. I thought it gave the picture a really interesting, almost ghost-like feel to it.

Same type of thing with the water color effect added in. I don't like it as well, but thought I would offer it as something as an example:

I've been somewhat fascinated with the water color filter, and how it interacts with the other filters (as you can see from these examples). Here's some examples:

Watercolor with toy camera:

Watercolor with soft filter:

Watercolor with pastel filter (this filter doesn't affect the color, it really makes it look more like a sketch):

Finally, watercolor applied to the same picture twice. Of all of the series I did of this one picture, for some reason I like this one the best, and I changed my entry into the challenge to this one.

There are all sorts of other variations one could come up with. Some effects will work for one picture while they won't work for another. It's been just pure fun to play around with these things, especially the watercolor effect. When I saw it for the first time I thought there was no way I would ever use it or even play with it - thought it was horrible. However, after playing around with it for a while, combining it with itself or with other things, I now see it as something fun and playful. Certainly not for those times you are trying to capture the All-World Best Photo, it's great for times when you are bored or frustrated or just looking for an escape.

Anyone else have some examples?