Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 19, 2011, 4:19 AM   #11

Hi all,
For people more accustomed to PS style, "Gimpshop" is a modified version of Gimp, to help PS users convert. ... Jack.

http://www.gimpshop.com/
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2011, 6:05 AM   #12

I switched to saving my images as DNG in my K-5 to avoid these issues
philneast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2011, 7:05 AM   #13
Administrator

Gimpshop hasn't been updated in 5 years (last update was in 2006), so it doesn't have a lot of features you find in newer versions of the GIMP.

Note that a single window mode was included in the GIMP 2.7.3 development snapshot (pre-release version). So, the next stable release should also include it (the current stable release doesn't have that feature).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2011, 7:15 AM   #14
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhmom View Post
...Unzipped the files and loaded them into the plug-ins folder I have. First I realized that I've been running PSE off the plug-ins folder on my C:\ drive, so I changed the preferences for it to find my plug-ins on my S:\ drive. Although, it seems to make no difference which drive the file is on....
If you've got multiple versions of it in various folders, that may be confusing Elements, since it may look at one folder before looking at another. I'd set it up so that it looks for your plugins on your C: drive, where Elements is installed.

You'll find the instructions Adobe has for installing it in Elements 8 here:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...jsp?ftpID=4810

IOW, you want to unzip the download to extract it's contents. Then, copy the CameraRaw.8bi plugin to this folder (where Elements 8 should look for any file conversion type plugins by default):

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\Elements 8\File Formats\

If you're running under 64 bit Windows, note that the correct path might be this instead (something the instructions don't note), since 64 Bit Windows 7 uses C:\Program Files (x86) versus C:\Program Files to store 32 bit programs (and Elements 8 is a 32 bit program). So, I'd also check to see if this folder structure exists, and if so, copy the plugin to it, too (and if both exist, I'd probably copy it to both to make sure it sees the correct version when started if it's looking in more than once place for it).

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\Elements 8\File Formats\
Old Oct 19, 2011, 8:15 AM   #15
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhmom View Post
Getting totally frustrated here. I have PSE8, which when I went to open my new K5 photos in I realized it wouldn't open my K5 files. So, I downloaded the Adobe Camera Raw for PSE8. Camera Raw 6.2 per the Adobe page which is supposed to open K5 files.
That does not appear to be correct.

I just checked the readme files for Adobe Camera RAW, and the K-5 wasn't added until Camera Raw version 6.3, which is not compatible with Elements 8 (according to Adobe, the latest version of Camera Raw that works with Elements 8 is 6.2, which does not support the K-5). Note where the K-5 was added to Camera Raw 6.3 (which is not compatible with Elements 8).

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...jsp?ftpID=4917

The K-5 is not listed as a supported camera in the readme file for Camera Raw 6.2 (the last version of Camera Raw that will work with Elements 8)

http://www.adobe.com/special/photosh...6.2_ReadMe.pdf

So, it looks like you're just spinning your wheels trying to get Elements 8 to open your PEF files unless you upgrade to a newer version of Elements, or use DNG instead:

Note that you could convert any existing PEF files you already have to DNG using the free Adobe DNG Converter:

I'd just use the latest 6.5 release of it (as 6.3 and later support your K-5):

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...jsp?ftpID=5258
Old Oct 19, 2011, 10:32 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Gimpshop hasn't been updated in 5 years (last update was in 2006), so it doesn't have a lot of features you find in newer versions of the GIMP.

Note that a single window mode was included in the GIMP 2.7.3 development snapshot (pre-release version). So, the next stable release should also include it (the current stable release doesn't have that feature).
Thanks for that info Jim, I must admit I was a little doubtful when I was finding the link earlier. ... Jack
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote