Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 16, 2011, 4:19 PM   #1

Default PSE8 and Camera Raw 6.2

Getting totally frustrated here. I have PSE8, which when I went to open my new K5 photos in I realized it wouldn't open my K5 files. So, I downloaded the Adobe Camera Raw for PSE8. Camera Raw 6.2 per the Adobe page which is supposed to open K5 files.

Unzipped the files and loaded them into the plug-ins folder I have. First I realized that I've been running PSE off the plug-ins folder on my C:\ drive, so I changed the preferences for it to find my plug-ins on my S:\ drive. Although, it seems to make no difference which drive the file is on.

When I'm on my desktop computer that has the S:\ drive physically attached to it, I get the following message when I try to open PSE8 - "The application or DLL S:\Patty's Documents\pse4 plug-ins\win64\Camera Raw.8bi is not a valid windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette". It will skip past this message and will open the K5 files. But, I always get the error message. I see there is a Camera Raw.8bi file in the plug-ins folder and one in the win64 folder in the plug-ins folder. When I delete the Win64 folder (I have a 32 bit system), I don't get the error message, but then I can't open the images any more.

On my laptop, I don't get this error message, but the following message (which was the first message I got when I tried an hour ago on the desktop and laptop before downloading the newest camera raw file - "Cannot open 'S:\Patty's Photos\Pentax K5 photos......\IMGP0060.PEF because it is the wrong type of file." The S:\ drive is mapped over my network.

Every once in a while I have a chemo brain episode and this is one of them. I just can't think this through to figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Any help for me? I've got Lightroom I can process images in, but it's not loaded on my laptop yet as I haven't quite figured out how I'm going to work the catalog between the two computers with all the images being on the one. I have the posts people wrote me a while ago about how to do this, but haven't managed to get through it yet. Too many new things all at once for this feeble brain I have right now.

Thanks, Patty

Last edited by nhmom; Oct 16, 2011 at 4:31 PM.
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 16, 2011, 5:53 PM   #2

Sorry Patty, I can't help with this issue at all, but if you record your raw images as .dng files, I'm sure the PSE 8 raw converter will have no trouble. I have never been able to see any difference in image quality between .pef and .dng files. Adobe introduced .dng format (which is an abbreviation for digital negative) as a standardized format for raw images, and they hoped it would become a universal format. (Obviously that hasn't happened.) Still, I'm guessing that all future raw converters will recognize .dng files, and therefore I try to take all my photos using that raw format.

But my suggestion won't help with the files you're dealing with now, so I hope someone else can suggest a solution to your immediate problem. Good luck!
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2011, 2:14 PM   #3

Sorry to say but the K-5 isn't included in the 6.2 version, it appears for the first time in the 6.3 version for pse9.
But if I remember you also have lightroom, you could import the pef's in lightroom and convert them to dng raw files.
Those are editable in pse8. Dng's are a bit larger but as good as the pef's.

Ronny
Old Oct 17, 2011, 11:22 PM   #4

I'm not an Adobe user, but I seem to remember that there was a standalone DNG converter program which would convert any OEM RAW to DNG. I assume that they update this regularly, so the latest version should include the K-5, and you shouldn't need another commercial program to use it. --

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2011, 1:44 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by snostorm View Post
I'm not an Adobe user, but I seem to remember that there was a standalone DNG converter program which would convert any OEM RAW to DNG. I assume that they update this regularly, so the latest version should include the K-5, and you shouldn't need another commercial program to use it. --

Scott
I didn't think about freeware, Patty if you want another (free) conversion program, take a look at rawtherapee. (http://www.rawtherapee.com)
That should also read the pef files.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 8:06 AM   #6

I would recommend everybody in here just loaded up the free Ubuntu operating system and GIMP. Both are free and installation for even a low end machine is entirely workable.
I am surprised that GIMP (P S equivalent) has a raw file plug in. But I am not sure if it works for Pentax. It should though. I will be trying that out in next few days.
To install Ubuntu you can put it alongside your Win7 or XP. Putting in another older IDE harddrive (for desktop) or in another partition (in laptop) is straight forward.

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2011, 2:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielchtong View Post
I would recommend everybody in here just loaded up the free Ubuntu operating system and GIMP.
just a sidenote, the GIMP works also perfectly on a windows machine, so you don't have to change operating systems.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 6:32 PM   #8

And Gimp works on Mac too!

And what about Pentax Digital Camera Utility?
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2011, 6:51 PM   #9

Well, I'm glad to know it wasn't me. Well, I guess it was really me as I hadn't noticed the K5 wasn't on the list. Well, I did notice it wasn't on the list, but thought it was just because it was maybe in an earlier version and they only listed new cameras added in each version.

I do swear that I did get my images open in PSE8 on my desktop computer at one point. It was just giving me an error message before it would open them. On my laptop right now. Will have to try on the desktop again that this weekend when I have some time. I wonder how I did it.

I realize there are other programs (Pentax utility, Lightroom, etc), but have used PSE for years and really like it. I know exactly what I have to do to my photos in it and where to find it. Not another new program to learn. I'm still trying to learn our new software at work, too. And, haven't taken the time to really play with Lightroom I've had a few months now.

The other option not mentioned is to upgrade PSE to version 9 or 10. I usually only upgrade every other version. So, that's probably my real solution now that I know what the problem is.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2011, 9:56 PM   #10

The other option is to download the free camera raw conversion utility from Adobe. It is a stand-alone program that will convert the PEF files to DNG so you can open them in the version of PSE you have. Scott mentioned it, you can download it on Adobe's website. I used to use it all the time before I started using DNG as my raw format.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote