Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 26, 2011, 9:19 PM   #11

Thank you for another delightful ramble through your beautitful forests. Box turtles were rather abundant in the woods where I grew up, and when I was a young boy I brought many home. Box turtles still have a special place in my heart.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2011, 7:31 PM   #12

Les - You are too kind! Glad you enjoyed these...
You should post a picture of your pet turtle - have never seen that species, and I'm sure others would enjoy seeing her too.

Paul - Thanks for the helpful and specific comments. Your favorites were all taken with the DA 35 Macro - sure is a sharp little lens!

Dr. C - Thanks so much for your kind words. I agree that Eastern Box Turtles do tend to have a grumpy look most of the time (it's hard to smile when you have no lips!!)

MtnMan - So glad to be able to bring you some good memories!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2011, 9:00 PM   #13

A lovely series - my favorite picture of the frog is the one on the finger - I didn't realize just how small it was until I looked at that photo. The box turtle shots are really outstanding.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2011, 12:43 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole View Post
Les - You are too kind! Glad you enjoyed these...
You should post a picture of your pet turtle - have never seen that species, and I'm sure others would enjoy seeing her too.
Hi Mole,

I do enjoy your photography very much. I've tried to post pix on different websites...so far don't seem to have the knack. I'm not great with computers...pretty well just can do the basics. My 20 something kids (ages, not number of children ) have vainly attempted to show me how to expand my computer abilities, but i fear I'm not a great student.

Not a lot of difference between the Eastern Box Turtle in your photo and the Western Ornate Box Turtle (our pet)...some colour differences, etc.

I believe the Western ornate Box Turtle lives in the wild from around South Dakota to about Texas....in the Great Plains.

Our 'Western' is quite a little character and strangely enough eats only cat food from the can ???

Les
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2011, 4:27 PM   #15

The eye in that last turtle shot is great, I also like the white tail dear, the ones in Mich seem to have bigger ears

Hans

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2011, 3:15 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole View Post
And here is a little "snack" for the neighborhood spiders - a fine little Fungus Gnat, posing on a rather decayed shelf fungus.
We call those St Mark's Fly's over here!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bibio_marci

Awesome shots, especially that last turtle!
Tamron Adaptall 2 - 28mm, 28-80mm, 500mm Mirror
Pentax KAF - 18-55mm WR, 28-105mm PowerZoom
Pentax K - 50mm f/2, 50mm f/1.7, 28mm f/2.2
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2011, 7:45 PM   #17

Les - to post a photo, just click on the "new thread" button at the top left of the screen. After typing your text, click on the "manage attachments" button and navigate to the location of the photo on your hard drive.

Hans - Thanks! That 35mm macro is a great lens for details! Deer tend to be smaller, and with smaller ears, the further south you go - design for survival in different climates...

Tachikoma - Thanks for the link - have never heard of St. Mark's Fly! Glad you enjoyed these, and glad to see you posting again. Hope to see some of your great photos again soon!!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2011, 5:05 AM   #18

I love the eastern box turtle series. Wonderful.
MacBook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2011, 7:54 AM   #19

Thanks mole. Been away as split up with my Lebanese girlfriend so wasn't in a creative mood. Bought 74(!) Vintage cameras recently so been cleaning and fixing those which has motivated me a bit. Will be doing some photos soon, got some ideas for night photography rather than my usual bug photos.
Tamron Adaptall 2 - 28mm, 28-80mm, 500mm Mirror
Pentax KAF - 18-55mm WR, 28-105mm PowerZoom
Pentax K - 50mm f/2, 50mm f/1.7, 28mm f/2.2
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2011, 5:02 PM   #20

Les - to post a photo, just click on the "new thread" button at the top left of the screen. After typing your text, click on the "manage attachments" button and navigate to the location of the photo on your hard drive.

Mole...thanks for the tip...I will give it a try.

Les
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote