Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 26, 2011, 8:58 PM   #11

I'm chiming in late, but I think you're making a good decision to bring the K5. I'm very fond of my FZ30, but there's no denying that my K20 produces better images, and everything I've read about the K5 indicates that it produces much better images than my K20. If you want a convenient camera, the FZ30 may be a good choice. If you want the best quality images, the K5 seems to me to be the clear choice.

In terms of changing lenses, that's part of the deal when you buy a DSLR. I honestly can't see much point in owning a DSLR if I weren't willing to change lenses regularly. If you really want to stick to just one lens, I'd say the 18-135 is probably your best bet. Of course, you're the one going on this wonderful trip, so my opinion counts for very little -- you have to decide.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2011, 12:09 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnman View Post
I'm chiming in late, but I think you're making a good decision to bring the K5. I'm very fond of my FZ30, but there's no denying that my K20 produces better images, and everything I've read about the K5 indicates that it produces much better images than my K20. If you want a convenient camera, the FZ30 may be a good choice. If you want the best quality images, the K5 seems to me to be the clear choice.

In terms of changing lenses, that's part of the deal when you buy a DSLR. I honestly can't see much point in owning a DSLR if I weren't willing to change lenses regularly. If you really want to stick to just one lens, I'd say the 18-135 is probably your best bet. Of course, you're the one going on this wonderful trip, so my opinion counts for very little -- you have to decide.
Hi! I went on this same trip in 2001. I know that changing lens would be very inconvienent most of the time. I would also be changing lenses very often because there are tons of details in places like the form where you will need telephoto. I have decided though to bring the K5 as it is insured under my home owners anyway.
tony3dd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2011, 7:21 PM   #13

Glad you decided to take the better camera, and hope you will find a lens that will work for you as well. Changing lenses doesn't bother me when it's just me on the trail, but might be annoying for other family members...
In any case, will look forward to seeing your great photos of the trip!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2011, 5:49 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole View Post
Glad you decided to take the better camera, and hope you will find a lens that will work for you as well. Changing lenses doesn't bother me when it's just me on the trail, but might be annoying for other family members...
In any case, will look forward to seeing your great photos of the trip!
Thanks. Think I'm going for the Pentax 18-135.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 6:16 PM   #15

If you need more zoom check into the Sigma 18-250 or the Tamoran 18-200.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2011, 9:18 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photo 5 View Post
If you need more zoom check into the Sigma 18-250 or the Tamoran 18-200.

dave
Trouble with third party lenses is you can't take advantage of the in body geometry correction, or the chromatic abrasion.

Last edited by tony3dd; Oct 29, 2011 at 9:21 AM.