Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 26, 2011, 10:15 AM   #1

Default K5 Or FZ30 to Italy?

Hi All, I love my new K5! I'm planning a trip to Italy in November, and I'm struggling with which camera I should bring. If I bring my K5 I will need to buy a walk around lens. I was thinking of the Pentax 18-135. That will set me back another $429.00. Now I was looking at some the past photo's I shot with my Lumix FZ30 recently, and I'm really considering taking this camera instead. It has a fantastic Leica lens. 12-1 zoom! The camera takes very decent shots in my hands, weights less than my K5, handles highlights, and shadows very well for a point, and shoot, and there would never be a need to change lenses. I'm bringing a tripod anyway, so low light really won't be an issue. I am also a bit worried about traveling with my K5. If anything happened to it, it would totally ruin my trip! Really want your take on this. I have attached some sample I took with my Lumix FZ30.
Attached Images

Last edited by tony3dd; Oct 26, 2011 at 10:23 AM.
tony3dd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 26, 2011, 11:16 AM   #2

I attended the Monday Night Football game in Jacksonville this past Monday. I don't go to very many football games so it was a special treat, it was MNF which I have never attended, and it was with Baltimore (my home town and favorite NFL team). I was planning on taking my kx, but I was worried about trying to get the 70-200mm 2.8 lens through security, I was worried about the beer drinking fans next to me spilling on the camera, I was worried about holding/storing the bag in the stands with the crowd. Finally I realized that the trip was more about a great family time and getting to see the Ravens play. I took the wifes point and shoot canon and had a great time. Maybe I would have gotten a couple other pictures that would have been slightly better, but I'm not planning on printing poster size. And it was just a football game.....

You have to decide what the point of your trip is going to be. If the trip was planned as a great family vacation, don't ruin it by being worried about the K5. Take the old camera (which seems to take great pictures) and have the time of your life. However, if you think upon your return you will be left regretting not taking the K5 (think about the great pictures I might have gotten) then take the K5 and find some way to deal with your concerns. Most likely, if you will regret not taking the K5, you will regret not having bought some other great lens or other accessory to take with you also. That is the problem with this type of hobby there is always that next best item that we can buy that will make our pictures even better....

Just my two cents.... Hope you have a great trip. I look forward to seeing the photos... :-)

Last edited by Osnap65; Oct 26, 2011 at 12:06 PM.
Osnap65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2011, 12:34 PM   #3

Excellent advice from Osnap.

Personally I'd say why buy the K5 if you are not going to use it in such photogenic surroundings ? Get your gear fully insured and if the worst happens at least you know you will be able to get a new one on your return (Italy has a deserved reputation for pickpockets and thieves).

Just make sure you keep your camera close and don't advertise it (camera bag should not look like a camera bag). Being a Pentax helps deter thieves anyway since it's not as easy to off-load

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2011, 1:18 PM   #4

You're quite right that the fz30 is a great camera and takes great shots.

But ... the low light capabilities of the k-5 will be something you are going to miss, especially when taking pictures indoors. And don't think they'll be happy to see you enter a church with a tripod.

And Kevin's remark makes the most sense to me, why get a k-5 when you don't want to use it.

just my 5c

Ronny
Old Oct 26, 2011, 2:30 PM   #5

Not sure I'd be shooting with a dSLR if I hadn't bought an FZ30 after my Sony F717 developed problems - I never got along well with it. It had nice color, but the noise at higher ISO was difficult to handle and it didn't have as good dynamic range as the old Sony did - I never managed to get the detail out of the Panny as I could from the Sony. So, since I disliked the FZ30 so much, I'd take the K5 without hesitation.

I'm so used to changing lenses quickly or else finding the best way to use the lens I have on the camera, that I would take the 18-55 and 55-300. Both are light and relatively small, they would fit in a small bag or the one not being used could fit in a jacket pocket. Being a girl, I'd skip the purse much of the time and put my wallet in a small shoulder camera bag, using it as a purse (with a hand on it most of the time, it's a convenient arm rest). I once was in Italy with a shoulder bag purse - someone tried to casually grab the back strap but let go when he realized I had a good hold of it.

My dSLR cameras have traveled to Yellowstone and other national parks, gone hiking with me etc. But then I'm willing to do that, it gives me great pleasure. Not everyone would agree with that.

The insurance idea is excellent, that should help your peace of mind. You could always take both, but I wouldn't because the FZ30 is too large for a both situation. If you had a compact point and shoot taking both would make more sense.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2011, 2:40 PM   #6

G'day tony

Well mate ~ it's horses for courses as the old saying goes

For me, I would take the FZ30
I sold mine some time ago and bought a pentax Kx + a couple of lenses covering the 12x zoom of the FZ30 - and the Kx sits around all day gathering dust as it simply does not compare with the FZ

As you say, the Leica lens on the FZ30 is superb ... I would say that mine outgunned every Sigma lens I have for the pentax ... although I do admit that noise issues at ISO-400 & 800 are an issue on the FZ30

For size, weight & convenience for travelling, I would take the FZ30 every time and love it to death

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2011, 3:23 PM   #7

I am also going to Italy for a week in Nov. doing some consulting so mostly work time, I will be bring 2 Canon P&S cameras with larger 1/1.7 sensors that I have had great images from. If I were going for vacation I would bring my new Kr with several lenses and also the P&S's. The memories can't be replaced, the camera can. Bring several sd cards and backup the images so you always have a copy OUT of the camera. That way if the K5 is lost or damaged you still have your images. Check with your home owners ins. before you go. Bring both cameras.

Hans

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2011, 4:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnikesch View Post
I am also going to Italy for a week in Nov. doing some consulting so mostly work time, I will be bring 2 Canon P&S cameras with larger 1/1.7 sensors that I have had great images from. If I were going for vacation I would bring my new Kr with several lenses and also the P&S's. The memories can't be replaced, the camera can. Bring several sd cards and backup the images so you always have a copy OUT of the camera. That way if the K5 is lost or damaged you still have your images. Check with your home owners ins. before you go. Bring both cameras.

Hans
Well, I just called my home owners insurance co., and my entire setup is covered under my home owners insurance, so I guess I will bring my K5 after all. I really would like to just bring just one lens as there will be many times changing lenses just won't be practical. I like the convience of the 18-135.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 5:25 PM   #9

What lenses do you have for the camera already?

David Stemple
[email protected]
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2011, 6:13 PM   #10

I have the 18-55 kit, and the 55-300. Point being I don't think I want to be bothered changing lenses.