Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 30, 2011, 8:46 PM   #1

Default K-5 first thoughts

Got my K-5 Friday and was just able to first use it tonight. Here are my first thoughts on it.

- The thing that sticks in my head is how hard it is to remove the memory card from the camera when I am ready to transfer images to my computer. The weather seals and the door that goes over the card slot seem to get in the way and it was slightly hard for me to get my hand in to get the card out once the card was popped out of the slot.

- Camera was lighter than I expected it be with battery, memory card and 18-250mm Sigma lens

- The lens took a few minutes to get used to as I wanted to keep turning the zoom the wrong way

- Photos taken on my Fuji HS20 in the 16MP mode vs Pictures taken on the K-5 in 16MP mode..... the K-5 images are larger in file size.

- The first image were messed up very bad because I had IS in the body and on the lens. Realized that and set it in the body only after that

- Did a series of fall colors (leaves on trees) and then sunset images till approx 5 minutes before it was black outside. The images had great color, contrast and sharpness down to the last image.

So far I like the look of the 16MP and the 10MP images I shot. The camera is not heavy and evenly balanced with the lens on the camera.

The one major dislike is the camera strap stinks. I have a black rapid on order. The camera kept wanting to fall off my shoulder (the strap and camera that is) and it was uncomfortable to a point vs other camera straps I have used in the past. 4 people suggest the Black rapid and I actually ordered one when I ordered thew camera but it was back ordered and will be here end of this week.

Will do some extensive testing of the camera tomorrow night when I photograph the annual Halloween parade and costume contest.

dave

Last edited by Photo 5; Oct 30, 2011 at 9:11 PM.
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 30, 2011, 9:17 PM   #2

I agree with you about the camera strap, I replaced mine with an Optech strap that's much more comfortable. Also, a number of people have complained about the memory card on both the K7 and K5 - I have small hands and don't have a problem, but was surprised at just how cramped the space is when I got the K7. You might try pushing just a bit harder when you go to remove it, it'll pop out a bit further.

Looking forward to some of your first pictures!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2011, 9:55 PM   #3

How do you like the Sigma lens? I'm thinking of buying it for my K5.
tony3dd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2011, 5:14 AM   #4

Sorry to hear about the strap. I use an OP/Tech USA Fashion Strap 3/8", and have been very pleased with it. It's a three piece strap, with the middle piece made from neoprene, and the ends are made from the same material and connectors they use on bicycle helmets. I have the two ends sized to form a wrist strap, but keep the middle neoprene part for when I want to hang it around my neck.

Other than that, and the thing with both the lens and the camera both trying to stabilize at the same time, it sounds like you're doing well with the K-5 (except for the memory card thing.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photo 5 View Post
Will do some extensive testing of the camera tomorrow night when I photograph the annual Halloween parade and costume contest.
The Sigma 18-250 isn't very fast, so I'd play with the high ISOs and the noise reduction. The K-5 has some impressive settings in that area.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2011, 4:34 PM   #5

I'll try to post some pictures from tonight in the next few days. So far the lens seems to be working good for me. At ISO 1600 the photos looked good.......
Old Oct 31, 2011, 4:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony3dd View Post
How do you like the Sigma lens? I'm thinking of buying it for my K5.
I only tested it for a little while yesterday but the images from ISO100 up to ISO1600, didn't have a need to use ISO3200 yet, looked good to me. Other than the fact I kept wanting to twist the lens in the wrong direction..... it seemed a lot lighter than I expected it to be. I try and post some of the images I will be taking tonight with it and the K-5 in the next few days.

dave
Old Oct 31, 2011, 7:35 PM   #7

Glad to hear you are liking yours. I've only had mine about a month and am very impressed with it. Family was here over the holiday weekend a few weeks ago and I think I got some really nice images. And, I am surprised every time I take a photo how quickly it focuses and takes the photo.

I, too, had problems with the card, but am getting used to it now. I did take some at 12,800 ISO Thursday night in the snow. It was dark and the car was moving. Set it as high as I could see in the dark and it actually wasn't too bad.

I do wish the left hand side had a little more to hold onto. But, I'll get used to it.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2011, 8:47 PM   #8

Photo 5 - Congratulations on the new camera! Will look forward to seeing your great images with it...
mole is offline   Reply With Quote