Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 30, 2011, 9:18 PM   #1

Default Misty Bridge - taken with K-5 + DA* 16-50/2.8

Suspension Bridge at Beaver, AR.

This is a single lane, wood plank surfaced suspension bridge spanning a smaller section of Beaver Lake in NW Arkansas. This area was so heavily covered with fog/mist, I converted the image to B&W.

EXIF

Summary:
Date Taken 2011-10-29 08:13:37
Camera PENTAX K-5
Exposure Time 0.05s (1/20)
Aperture f/10
ISO 80
Focal Length 16mm (24mm in 35mm)
Photo Dimensions 4928 x 3264

Gear Summary: Pentax K-5, DA* 16-50/2.8, Gitzo 3541XLS, SLIK AF2100 head, cabled remote; 2 sec. MLU.

Yes, I now own the K-5 + battery grip! The extra resolution is wonderful - still exploring the possibilities of this camera! I'm also renting the DA* 16-50 and the Sigma 8-16 for 10 days, to see what they can do.

Regards,
Marc

“The camera is only a tool: the image is the product of your mind and vision.”
Marc Langille is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 30, 2011, 9:34 PM   #2

Well done! Love the shot. Looks like you aren't having any trouble adjusting to the new cmaera (love ISO 80!).

What do you think of the DA*16-50? I keep considering this lens but then hesitate. Having WR in a lens in that range would be really nice. Just wondering how you find it.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2011, 9:52 PM   #3

Love it. Great shot!

K5, Sigma 50 1.4, Tamron 28-75, Tamron 70-200 2.8, Panasonic LX5, Canon G15
Dr. C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2011, 10:20 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
Well done! Love the shot. Looks like you aren't having any trouble adjusting to the new camera (love ISO 80!).

What do you think of the DA*16-50? I keep considering this lens but then hesitate. Having WR in a lens in that range would be really nice. Just wondering how you find it.
Thank you!

Sorry for the delay: I was typing out a response when Firefox suddenly went exponential on memory use to 1.4GB... I had to kill the session and reboot my computer.

Yes, the K-5 is expanding the possibilities for me, no question. The base ISO 80 is very, very good and I'm amazed at how well the sensor handles the mist as proper gradient/softening, not noise in older cameras. That means no NR is needed - so far.

Regarding your lens question: I think it's a great lens, no question. I've owned the DA 12-24 and it was a great lens, especially it's FL. I sold it due to some circumstances at the time, not because of any issues with the lens. The DA* 16-50 is not super snappy given it's FL range, but with the K-5, it's very accurate. Resolution is wonderful on the K-5 and details are excellent and to the standard I would expect on a lens in this price range. However, I've not shot very much at larger apertures, so I will be going that route soon enough. Hopefully enough by November 7th! I'd rather spend the rental fees and be certain it's what I want of course. I suspect it will end up in my kit along with the Sigma 8-16.

Total for both lenses with 2-day return shipping and a damage waiver of $8/lens (read info on site) meant the total was $135 (with coupon) for 10 days. A very good bargain for $1500-$1600 in glass! As an FYI, it's CameraLensRentals.com and this is their WA lens page: http://www.cameralensrentals.com/category.asp?catid=14

Again, thanks for the kind words!

Marc

Old Oct 30, 2011, 11:42 PM   #5

Cool shot Marc ..... but I'm having trouble finding the hummers ?

Firefox - maybe next time you can try killing shockwave via one of the plethora of small programs that abound to tell you which programs on your system are using what processes etc. ? Then you just reload each page. It's always Shockwave in Safari and Chrome that causes that sudden burst in memory usage for me.

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2011, 11:24 AM   #6

Very, very nice from an Arkansas (Marvel), native, Marc!! Really like the mist.
tsquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2011, 7:42 PM   #7

Very cool, Marc. And, so appropriate looking at it on Halloween night. Spooky!

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2011, 8:53 PM   #8

Beautiful scene, beautifully captured, and very nice B&W conversion.

Just curious about the 16-50... I have the DA 16-45, and find it works fine for most landscape shots. Does the 16-50 have sufficiently greater IQ to justify the price difference?
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2015, 10:46 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole View Post
Beautiful scene, beautifully captured, and very nice B&W conversion.

Just curious about the 16-50... I have the DA 16-45, and find it works fine for most landscape shots. Does the 16-50 have sufficiently greater IQ to justify the price difference?
Well this reply is a long time coming... I would say yes. Sorry about the delay!

Old Dec 6, 2015, 2:04 PM   #10

Good idea to convert to gray scale. Like the way the bridge disappears into the fog bank.