Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 1, 2011, 10:03 AM   #1

Default K-5 Additional Thoughts

I will post some pictures later this week, but here are some additional thoughts after using it Halloween night to do a newspaper event (Kids Parade and Costume Contest).

- Removing the memory card so I can put it in my memory card reader attached to the computer is still an issue. I feel lie I am going to break the card trying to get it out. In fact at one point I had a micro SDHC card in an SDHC adapter and pulled the micro card out of the adapter and the adapter didn't wan to come out still without fighting with it. It pops out about half way but with my hands I can't seem to grip it to pull it out as the weather seal on the memory card access door gets in the way. But after fighting with it I got it out. Thats about the only negative I have so far.

- Using the Sigma 18-250mm lens even though it is a so called slow lens it seems to focus rather fast, slower in live view than without live view. Seems to zoom for a focus point and hunt in live view mode (zooming mode is not selected) Also when it focuses it locks quickly and the overall images are in focus

- Battery life can't say much yet as I have only shot 450 images total, but the battery indicator is in the yellow stage vs the green stage it started with after charging the battery and I used a lot of flash last night when I was outside. I did get 2 spare batteries to play it safe. So far no worries I won't have enough batery life to make it through big newspaper assignments.

- Camera still seems to be lighter than I expected it to be, although its no featherweight. With the lens on the body it is well balanced and easy to hold in my hand. As I said in my first thoughts post the camera strap is poor and one is on order to replace it.

- One thing I quickly noticed is on a 16GB card with images taken at 16.3MP (top setting with best quality set 4 stars) I only get half as many images as I did in the 16MP total setting on my Fuji HS20. But when I processed the images to save them on a DVD using Adobe Photoshop batch procesing saving as high quality jpegs (vs max) and numbering them in number order that the images ended up almost the same size as the batch processed images from the Fuji HS20. However the Pentax images look brighter and more colorful in lower light. This is not a complaint it just something I need to remember and you need to know if you shoot a lot of images, so you have enough memory card space available. The straight out of the camera 16.3MP look great and the only real editing I did was cropping and once in a while if the image was a little dark I used the auto correct mode in Photoshop Elements 7.0 to fix the brightness issue.

- Also make sure if you use the pop up flash which was all the flash power I needed to remember to set it to red eye reduction mode or you will have NASTY RED EYES in all your images. Forgot about that and had the first dozen images with BIG RED EYES.

- Overall image quality. I had auto ISO on set from 100 - 3200 and the images never once were taken in ISO3200. The images in ISO1600 were impressive with no visible shake, noise and the amount of brightness needed. They had much more brightness than I was able to get on my Fuji HS20

- Flash -- I had my hotshoe flash with me figuring I would need it but never once put it on the camera as the pop up flash did the job. Also make sire you take off the lens shade when you use theflash in conjuction with the Sigma 18-200 or your get a shadow from the flash on the bottom 1/6th or so of the photo.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 1, 2011, 10:34 AM   #2

Interesting that you used the pop-up flash and got good pictures. I don't think I've used mine except as a controller for an off-camera flash since I got the camera. Never liked the flash on the DS so went to a hot-shoe with it and wireless off-camera flash once I got the K10. Maybe I'll have to try again, though I'm so horrible with flash, it never does what I expect it to, I'm sure there's something I'm missing.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2011, 6:58 PM   #3

I just popped it up with it set on red eye flash mode and shot away. No real issues at all except I forgot to remove the lens shade-hood for the first few images......

dave

Last edited by Photo 5; Nov 1, 2011 at 8:28 PM.
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote