Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 4, 2011, 10:19 AM   #1

Default Iguazu Falls

A long absence explained.

We barely made it out of Boston last February to begin our South America adventure as a severe snow storm hit about 1 hour prior to take off. Our plane was de-Iced and then the runway at Logan shut down while it was plowed and treated. We then were de-iced a second time and after spending 3.5 hours on the ground we took off for Miami. After our departure Logan closed for two days.

I became ill on the third day of the Pre tour at Iguazu Falls when we were thoroughly drenched in a boat ride under the falls (about 7 weeks later 4 tourists were killed when their boat capsized taking the same boat ride under the falls). We then were taken on a jungle tour in an open top truck and it began to torrentially rain. Being soaking wet to my skin for a couple of hours and then going from 100 degrees F and 99 percent humidity into an air conditioned buss was all it took to put me over the top.(My wife remained well ti'll we got home).

Once at sea I visited the ships infirmary and did get a little relief but my hearing was lost in one ear and it remained that way the whole trip.

Our trip to Machu Picchu was also a never to be forgotten adventure. We sat on a train in Ollantaytambo, Peru for 4 hours and then were told that there had been flooding and a landslide and the trip was canceled. The tour company did a remarkable job of recovering the day. While having dinner at 10:00 PM we were told that the landslide had been cleared and the track fixed and that the weather report was more favorable and we would go to Machu Picchu the next day for a 4 ˝ hour tour.

I was sick for 5-1/2 weeks and in the end had lost hearing in both ears. Happy to say that the virus finally ran its course and my health and hearing were restored. All in all despite the health problems I had the trip was fantastic and we would do it again in a heartbeat.

Upon returning home I went to load my pictures onto my 9 year old desktop PC for editing only to find all its USB ports to be non-functional. After a week and a half of setting up my new PC and installing PS5 and learning to use the software, I got back to taking and editing pictures again.

Everything since returning has been a giant blur. Camera and bird club activities have taken over my life and I have not had time to do anything but occasionally get on Steve’s to have a quick look at what is going on.
One of the nicest things that happened to me on the trip was that I got to meet Ed Mathis (Snooked). We had a great time together shooting birds at Wakodahatchee and Green Kay Wetlands. Ed is an inspiration to any bird photographer and a fine gentleman.

I have taken more photographs this year than I ever dreamed possible. My life with the K7 has come together nicely. I have learned to get the most form this camera. My K100 is now a dedicated Macro shooter and I leave my homemade macro flash attachment and 105mm Viv series 1 lens on it permanently.

Enough chatter, here are some pictures from Iguazu Falls:

Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 4, 2011, 10:32 AM   #2

I'm getting "Content Protected by Owner" No pictures.
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2011, 11:14 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pboerger View Post
I'm getting "Content Protected by Owner" No pictures.
Thanks pboerger, I think I have cleared them now. It's been a long time not posting and my rust is showing! Looks like I double posted as well.

Please Ignore this post and go to the second as it has all the pictures.

Lou

Last edited by Keltech; Nov 4, 2011 at 11:18 AM.
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote