Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 4, 2011, 8:22 PM   #1

Default For Wingman

Jehan, when I saw this sequence I thought of you and your passion for aircraft shots. I was on the top of Sugarloaf Mt. in Rio and the plane was landing at the downtown airport (Santos Dumont).

Sequence taken with K7 and Tokina 80-400mm.

The helicopter was a better way to get up on Sugarloaf. I went the hard way, on two very steep and long cable cars.

Lou

Last edited by Keltech; Nov 5, 2011 at 3:02 PM.
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 4, 2011, 9:02 PM   #2

Really interesting photos Lou. I was under the impression that a single mountain stands above Rio. But your photos show that Rio is surrounded by many mountains. I just learned something new -- thanks!
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2011, 10:29 PM   #3

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Thanks Lou...that's a heart thumping sequence of the Gol 737! You'll be blowing my travel budget showing me these beautiful places...and you thrown in the aviation phot ops and I become a total basket case!

Sounds like a truly memorable trip...would love to see the full complement of vacation slides if you post them on a web album.

Jehan
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2011, 10:49 PM   #4

What a beautiful location, the scenery is certainly spectacular. Don't know which would be worse - the helicopter or the cable cars. Both look like hair-raising trips. Love the photos.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2011, 11:23 PM   #5

Very nice series of shots, what a place, I've been to Brazil on business but never Rio, Looks like I missed the best scenery in the country.

Hans

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2011, 2:44 PM   #6

Again, Lou. Great photos!
I knew Jehan would love em.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2011, 4:34 PM   #7

I'm with Harriet. I don't know which would be worse, the helicopter trip or the cable cars.

Very nice. I can see now why you said "for Jehann".

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2011, 9:18 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnman View Post
Really interesting photos Lou. I was under the impression that a single mountain stands above Rio. But your photos show that Rio is surrounded by many mountains. I just learned something new -- thanks!
Thanks Mtnman, I was under a similar impression until I got there. More pictures of Rio will follow in another post.

Lou
Old Nov 6, 2011, 9:23 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman View Post
Thanks Lou...that's a heart thumping sequence of the Gol 737! You'll be blowing my travel budget showing me these beautiful places...and you thrown in the aviation phot ops and I become a total basket case!

Sounds like a truly memorable trip...would love to see the full complement of vacation slides if you post them on a web album.

Jehan
Thanks Jehan, I flew a GOL 737 from Rio to Iguazu and was impressed with the airline and its service. I did not fly out of this airport but would have liked to see that landing sequence from inside the cabin.

Lou
Old Nov 6, 2011, 9:53 AM   #10

Mmtgirl, Hnikesh, GW, & Patty, Thanks for your nice comments.

Rio was a breathtaking place for scenic beauty but the city's infrastructure left a lot to be desired. From afar it looked great but up close you saw the blemishes. The buildings were showing a need for a good steam cleaning. I think that the high heat and humidity causes mold to form quickly and takes away from some of the sparkling look that would put it over the top. Also lots of Favela (shanty towns). Perhaps with the upcoming Olympics they will get things cleaned up.

Brazil's economy was booming and they made acquiring a visa a difficult procedure. The Canadians who traveled with us were complaining even more bitterly about it. Brazil was the only country in S.America that I visited where I got the feeling that if you stayed home they wouldn't care and may even applaud you.

Lou