Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 4, 2011, 8:13 PM   #1

Default Kiawah Island SC, USA

Here are some shots from our trip to Kiawah. Although it's known for it's golf courses (5) with one of them the site for the PGA next year, there are some other things that make the island attractive and here are a few. They are all taken with the ist*DL and either the kit lens or the 50-200.

A couple of the beautiful beach

Some very interesting creatures!

A camera club getting a shot of this Blue Heron

And finally a gorgeous Hibiscus

Last edited by Lyrics51; Nov 4, 2011 at 8:18 PM. Reason: misspelling
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 4, 2011, 9:24 PM   #2

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Excellent captures...you sure make that old DL and the kit lenses sing! Amazing detail on the Hibiscus and beautiful lighting on the beachscapes (#1 & 2). With quality like this, who needs the K5. Nicely done Glenn!

Jehan
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2011, 9:46 PM   #3

A beautiful series! Love the hibiscus and the beaches, always great fun to photograph.

Recently I've moved my photos onto an external drive and then keywording them in a Lightroom collection. Some of my early DS shots really were lovely (and a lot of junk, but that wasn't the camera's fault). That 6 mp sensor really was wonderful.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2011, 1:49 PM   #4

Glen, You make a great case for the ist, now if I can learn to use mine as well!
Beautiful Shots.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2011, 3:13 PM   #5

Beautiful images. The last one is fantastic,great color, sharp and the shadow of the stamen makes the picture look 3D.

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2011, 3:16 PM   #6

I really like that first beach shot. Lovely. And, the hibiscus is amazing.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2011, 5:20 AM   #7

Thanks for the comments everyone. The DL is a great little camera, although I envy those of you with more up to date technology. The three things I would really like are less lag time for sports shots, quicker focus in many situations, and better high ISO capabilities. I need to win a contest or something so I can afford the K 5!
Old Nov 6, 2011, 7:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyrics51 View Post
Thanks for the comments everyone. The DL is a great little camera, although I envy those of you with more up to date technology. The three things I would really like are less lag time for sports shots, quicker focus in many situations, and better high ISO capabilities. I need to win a contest or something so I can afford the K 5!
I have (3) Ist DS's and wouldn't trade them for any new model-especially for the price these days. Bought my 3d one about 4 months ago for less than $200 and it only had 1100 shutter actuations.
DMJJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2011, 7:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyrics51 View Post
You would definitely see those three with the K5. I am really impressed with mine. Found out today I could have gotten it for $150 less locally thru today, but don't regret having had it the past six weeks.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2011, 5:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMJJR View Post
I have (3) Ist DS's and wouldn't trade them for any new model-especially for the price these days. Bought my 3d one about 4 months ago for less than $200 and it only had 1100 shutter actuations.
A lot has to do with what you want it for. In many cases the DL works great, but there are certain situations where I would really like a little more latitude. Even so the DL gives me a lot more freedom than my old Minolta XD 1 and then my Canon Rebel. Looking back on it now it's hard to imagine having to wait several days to get my slides back and find out what I wish I would have done!!