Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 8, 2011, 7:54 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony3dd View Post
Hi Patty! How are you doing with your K5? Yes, I really like this lens. It's everything I thought it would be.
So far the K-5 is everything I thought it would be and more. Great shots in low light with that lens.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2011, 8:59 AM   #12

With the K-5 I'd personally be more worried about having enough memory cards with me than having the tripod. Make sure you have ample memory for the camera as with the K-5 you get amazing shots and you could find yourself shooting loads of images. You may depending on amount of memory you have available want to shoot in the 10MP mode to save on storage space. I'd just stick with a mono pod in your Italy travel gear as with the images you took I see no reason why you'd need a tripod let alone want to lug it around with you.

So what memories cards do you have........

Thanks for sharing those images I may be getting that lens for my K-5 (for poor condition image shooting) after Janurary. So far loving my Sigma 18-250mm.

dave
Old Nov 8, 2011, 9:48 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photo 5 View Post
With the K-5 I'd personally be more worried about having enough memory cards with me than having the tripod. Make sure you have ample memory for the camera as with the K-5 you get amazing shots and you could find yourself shooting loads of images. You may depending on amount of memory you have available want to shoot in the 10MP mode to save on storage space. I'd just stick with a mono pod in your Italy travel gear as with the images you took I see no reason why you'd need a tripod let alone want to lug it around with you.

Thanks for sharing those images I may be getting that lens for my K-5 (for poor condition image shooting) after Janurary. So far loving my Sigma 18-250mm.

dave
I'm taking 3 Sandisk 16 gig class 6 cards. That should give around 3000 images at full resolution I think. I'm also bringing two Pentax batteries, and one Pearstone for emergency backup battery.
tony3dd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2011, 8:11 PM   #14

My goodness, the K5 and that lens are a great combination for low light.
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2011, 11:37 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photo 5 View Post

dave
I almost bought the Sigma myself. I just couldn't give up the weather resistance, and quickshift.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 7:10 PM   #16

These images look good to me also Tony. It's very encouraging that you say it focuses so quickly. This lens looks like a winner -- I think I'm going to have to get it at some point.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2011, 9:02 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnman View Post
These images look good to me also Tony. It's very encouraging that you say it focuses so quickly. This lens looks like a winner -- I think I'm going to have to get it at some point.
You'll love it. Not only is it fast, but very accurate even in low light, and dead quite.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 7:40 AM   #18

3 16GB cards should give you about 3,200 photos in the highest 4 star 16MP jpeg mode. One thing you may or may not wantg to consider is if you plan to shoot shoot shoot is to lower the mega-pixel mode down to 10MP at the 4 start image quality setting. Sure you won;t get wall size posters but on your computer screen the images will look great and you gain several 100 more frames that you can shoot.

When I travel I carry 2x 16GB Class 10 Cards, 1 16 GB Class 6 card and 3x 8GB Class 6 cards with me at all times. I'll also carry a memory card reader with me and a couple of DVDs in my suitcase in case I fill up the cards and then I can find a computer and move some of the images to DVDs to free up space. Although on my last trip to Atlanta I only filled up 1 1/2 16GB cards using my Fuji HS20. But was nice to know I had the DVDs etc just in case something happened and I got extra shutter happy.

I am loving the images you got with that lens. I will be looking at getting one in early 2012.

dave
Old Nov 15, 2011, 11:24 AM   #19

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony3dd View Post
You'll love it. Not only is it fast... .
I think industry standards reserve the "fast" designation to apertures of f/2.8 or larger, typically used for low light action photography. At 135 mm, this lens has a maximum aperture of f5.6 which would make it a slow lens and impractical for action shots.

Never the less, the IQ is pretty impressive for low light shots on your K5...perhaps more a function of the K5's low noise than the lens.

Jehan
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2011, 1:37 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman View Post
I think industry standards reserve the "fast" designation to apertures of f/2.8 or larger, typically used for low light action photography. At 135 mm, this lens has a maximum aperture of f5.6 which would make it a slow lens and impractical for action shots.

Never the less, the IQ is pretty impressive for low light shots on your K5...perhaps more a function of the K5's low noise than the lens.

Jehan
This is very true, but I must say focus speed, and accuracy impressed me.