Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 6, 2011, 9:45 PM   #1

Default First shots with 18-135 zoom

Well, I finally found a little time to try some night shot with my new 18-135. these were all shot between 3200-5000 iso hand held. I'm happy with the results. I added just a bit of noise reduction with NIk's Dfine, otherwise they are Jpegs right off the camera. The first shows some reflections from my UV filter. These were shot rather quickly in extremely low light. The compositions are horrible! Just wanted to see what it did.

tony3dd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 7, 2011, 8:47 AM   #2

Looks like a nice combo with your K5, you should have lots of opportunities for night shots in Italy, they came out very nicely you should be happy. Now lets see some daylight.

Hans

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2011, 9:56 AM   #3

Looks like it's working, and ... I'm sure now I have to get out more at night

Ronny
Old Nov 7, 2011, 11:00 AM   #4

The lens focuses great! This was very low light, and it had trouble only once, but by moving the camera a bit off target it locked. Out of 32 I would say 2 were unacceptable for being to soft. Based on this test, I'm wondering if a monopod is all I'll need in Italy? Do you think these exposures look good? The originals have a bit more contrast. Once uploaded for some reason the Gamma gets a bit messed up. They actually look better on my screen.

Last edited by tony3dd; Nov 7, 2011 at 11:02 AM.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 3:12 PM   #5

I think they look very good. And from these, I think you could easily get away with just taking a monopod for a bit of extra support. There's an art to using one really effectively that I've only partly mastered.

As far as changes between original and uploaded versions - I've sometimes seen that but usually with particular colors. Sometimes the photo hosting site will compress the file, and that will sometimes do strange things, too. But even so, I'm really impressed with this series, the lens works really well.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2011, 3:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
I think they look very good. And from these, I think you could easily get away with just taking a monopod for a bit of extra support. There's an art to using one really effectively that I've only partly mastered.

As far as changes between original and uploaded versions - I've sometimes seen that but usually with particular colors. Sometimes the photo hosting site will compress the file, and that will sometimes do strange things, too. But even so, I'm really impressed with this series, the lens works really well.
Thanks. So far I really like it. Focus seems spot on, fast, and really quite. I think tomorrow I'll go to Disney at night, and try out some more serious shots. The only thing I miss is the distance scale, but that's no big deal. I have a mono pod, but have rarely used it. Is there some trick to it?
Old Nov 7, 2011, 8:18 PM   #7

These are looking really nice. Looks like you made a good choice for your trip to Italy. Looking forward to seeing your Disney shots.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2011, 1:16 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhmom View Post
These are looking really nice. Looks like you made a good choice for your trip to Italy. Looking forward to seeing your Disney shots.

Patty
Hi Patty! How are you doing with your K5? Yes, I really like this lens. It's everything I thought it would be.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 6:45 AM   #9

Tony, it looks like you have a great combo to take on your trip. These hand held shots are very nice. Can't wait to see your Italy pictures.

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2011, 7:58 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keltech View Post
Tony, it looks like you have a great combo to take on your trip. These hand held shots are very nice. Can't wait to see your Italy pictures.

Lou
Thanks Lou. I'm really impressed with the K5's high ISO performance, and dynamic range at low ISO. These being shot between 3200-5000 in almost no light, really makes me feel good about Italy. I was in Itally in 2001, and know that there is more light at the monuments then I had in these shots, so things should work out well. I will probably pack my tripod just in case.