Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 7, 2011, 7:11 PM   #1

Default An M42 experiment

It occurred to me the other day that I haven't used my two M42 lenses in some time. Was heading out to nearby Laurel Run park for some trail inspection, etc., and decided to try using only these two lenses. Forced me to pay closer attention to angles, perspectives, field of view, etc. Missed plenty of photos, but got a few that came out pretty good.
Attached Images

mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 7, 2011, 7:15 PM   #2

If you've ever seen the Sissy Spacek/Mel Gibson movie called "The River," you've seen Laurel Run. The movie was filmed here, and then they donated the land to the county (Hawkins County Tennessee) for a county park. Laurel Run is a fine little stream that splashes its way on down to the Holston River.
Attached Images

Old Nov 7, 2011, 7:16 PM   #3

Low water in autumn makes for some great pools along the stream to reflect the autumnal tints..
Attached Images

Old Nov 7, 2011, 7:18 PM   #4

Some very interesting rock strata - somewhat concealed at this season by the falling leaves...

(which view do you prefer?)
Attached Images

Old Nov 7, 2011, 7:19 PM   #5

And some interesting fungi, and some fast-fading ferns...
Attached Images

Old Nov 7, 2011, 7:22 PM   #6

Have posted (too) many shots of the falls at Laurel Run, but hope you don't mind just a few more. What do you think - does this old lens do an OK job with the waterfall?
Attached Images

Old Nov 7, 2011, 7:26 PM   #7

Will end with the only "critter" shots of the day - a passing Monarch butterfly on its way to Mexico that paused to enjoy some sunshine among the Clematis seeds.

Can you guess which two lenses were used on this little trip? (note that the exif data is wrong for one of them, I accidentally entered the wrong length...)

Thanks for your comments, critique & suggestions!
Attached Images

Old Nov 7, 2011, 7:44 PM   #8

I have no idea on the lenses used. But, of the strata, I prefer the first shot. The second makes me feel too cramped.

Never too many waterfall shots. I really like the first one. The leaves lying around just add to it, too.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2011, 8:29 AM   #9

Ok I had to cheat and looked at the exif, Great job with the old lenses. What tripod do you drag around an your hikes, I just can't bring myself to use mine. I was visiting an antique shop over the weekend and ran across a few jems, a SMC-A 28 f2.8 and a Vivitar PK-A 2X macro focusing tele-converther. Your shots make me want to go out in the rain and fog today and use them but my Kr is not weather sealed. Love the water falls and the Monarch shots.

Hans

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2011, 11:43 AM   #10

Without looking at the Exif I'll guess Takumars 50/1.4 and 135/3.5 ? I love the colours !

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote