Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 7, 2011, 7:52 PM   #1

Default warranty on K5

Just wondering what other's know about this. I finally got around to registering my new K5 online yesterday since there was no card in the box and was not successful. The website didn't seem to be working for the warranties.

I e-mailed them to ask what I should do and they wrote back telling me:

"The product registration link on our website may be deactivated at this time. However, product registration is NOT required for warranty coverage on your PENTAX K-5. Keep your sales receipt (and extended warranty card if you purchased one) and send a copy of it with your product if you have to return it to us for warranty service."

I've never heard of this. I thought you had to register in advance of needing any service.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Patty

p.s. My calendar is telling me that my 3 year warranty on my K20 is about to run out. I was thinking of sending it in for a good cleaning/checkover by them. Any thoughts on that, too?
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 7, 2011, 8:55 PM   #2

Just keep the sales receipt for the K-5 that is all you'll need if you need service.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2011, 10:21 PM   #3

I think the laws have changed about warranties in general, registration isn't required, just the sales receipt. I haven't had a warranty card in any of the camera stuff I've bought recently.

Since you have the extended warranty on the K20, why not send it in for cleaning and general servicing? I plan to do that with both the K7 and K5 since I have the extended warranty on both of them. I didn't get one for the K20 or any of the earlier cameras, so don't have any experience with them. I have a couple of dust spots on the K7 that don't want to budge with the rocket blower, they only show up at small apertures so I have little incentive (and I'm rather chicken about trying) to do a wet clean myself. I always manage to get whatever I'm trying to clean streaked.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2011, 10:37 PM   #4

Evening Patty,

My 3 years is starting to evaporate rapidly also (on my K20), and need to send it in for its free cleaning. The one thing that I did not appreciate as much as I should have, was the free 2 year extended warranty Pentax threw in with the camera. My sensor went and Pentax replaced it and the guts of the camera here at the first of the year.

That said, Pentax offers a 2 year extended warranty on the K5 for $20 which is a bargain. I have read on the other website that as long as you buy it within the first year you should be covered....

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ranty_for.html

Also ... I have a question. How much different is the K5 from the K20? I have been considering the K5 now that the price is coming down, but also thinking about possibly waiting out another product cycle - essentially till the end of the K3 or what ever they call it. For landscapes, cityscapes and generally low ambient lighting, is the K5 that much of a game changer?

Last edited by interested_observer; Nov 8, 2011 at 10:42 PM.
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2011, 6:43 PM   #5

I have a Panasonic G3, but like this forum better than any other on the web. (I did have a K-5 briefly, but found it too heavy for my use.)

Interestingly, Floridians -- and now Virginians -- are not eligible for the extended warranty, as explained on the bottom of B&H's listing: "Note! This product is non-transferable and NOT valid in Florida, The Commonwealth of Virginia or where prohibited by law." I have written to the (previous) governor's office, which promised to look into it and never got back. I assume the warranty restrictions are designed to protect elderly folk who might be better targets for swindlers, but it is not very equitable for others. Retail stores, including those with high-pressure salesmen, are allowed to sell extended warranties, but many online vendors are not.
MacBook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2011, 5:53 AM   #6

Might want to double check. I think you have to buy the 2 year extended warranty within 90 days of camera purchase.
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2011, 9:21 AM   #7

I don;t find the K-5 all that heavy. I came from the Fuji HS10 and HS20 cameras and the K-5 is not all that heavy to me. I can use it for over an hour with no issues to my hand, wrist or arms at all. Just get a good black rapid camera strap and you'll be fine. The K-5 is a very fine camera, even with a so called "no-fast lens). Glad I got this camera and so far its been worth every penny.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2011, 9:55 AM   #8
Administrator

In most cases,the warranty registration is just a marketing gimmick so that you get on the manufacturer's mailing list, and it has nothing to do with the actual product warranty.

Most manufacturers will require a dated proof of purchase (your sales receipt) for actual warranty service, and will not honor any type of warranty card or registration without it.

Sometimes they're even more picky and require that the product is purchased from an authorized dealer in the region you live in (for example, Nikon USA usually enforces that, and will not provide service unless your product is purchased from an Authorized Nikon Dealer in the region you're trying to get service in, and that you're also the original purchaser and have your receipt. because that discourages "gray market" purchases).

I sometimes chuckle when users list gear online that says something like "includes unused original warranty card", which implies that it's just like buying a new camera.

Chances are, the manufacturer doesn't care about the warranty card, and in many cases, the warranty is not transferable either. IOW, you may need to be the original purchaser and have your sales receipt for warranty coverage with many manufacturers, and some of them will also enforce that the product was purchased from an authorized dealer.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2011, 10:37 AM   #9

What about an extended warranty, such as Pentax's, that says specifically that your state is excluded? I assume they will enforce that, since it is a state statute, apparently, and not Pentax policy.
MacBook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2011, 11:40 AM   #10
Administrator

i have no experience with extended warranties. I never buy them. But, I'd assume you'd need to look at the details for a specific warranty plan to find out how it works and any requirements you may need to fulfill to use it.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote