Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 7, 2011, 9:02 PM   #1

Default Falkland Island Penguins

Our cruise ship was too large to dock at the port of Stanley so we were ferried in on our ships launches.

Stanley has a population of 2100 people. It is quaint, and has no neon signs or fast food restaurants. The inhabitants of the Faucklands are for the most part sheep farmers. The Falklands are mostly a baron and windswept archipelago.

To get to the penguins we took a bus on a gravel road for about of an hour. We then transferred to a land rover and were driven off road through rough terrain for about 15 minutes to get to the rookery.

This was the most fantastic place. You are among thousands of penguins. There were only a few King Penguins (perhaps 10) and all the rest were Gentoo. At the rookery the penguins are separated from the the tourists by small white flags placed in the sand that you are asked not to cross. The penguins on the other hand have the option to cross over and visit you which they often did. They are as curios about people as we are about them.

We were separated from the breeding Kings and there young by a good distance. I brought my tripod and was using the K-7 and the Tokina 80-400mm plus the Tamron 1.4 TC to get the shots of them. Others were taken with the Pentax SMC A 35-105 and Sigma 10-20.

It's A Boy!!!!!!!!

Did You hear me.......It's a boy!

The whole family

Interloper!

Molting penguins.

Lou
Upland Goose

Last edited by Keltech; Nov 7, 2011 at 9:08 PM.
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 7, 2011, 9:40 PM   #2

Great opportunity, nicely documented.

Your "interloper" is a Dolphin Gull, Larus scoresbii, restricted to souhern Chile, Argentina and the Falkland Islands.:

http://www.ontfin.com/Word/dolphin-g...rus-scoresbii/
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2011, 10:17 PM   #3

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Look like scenes from "March of the Penguins". What a great trip and what great photo ops...Thanks for taking us along for the ride. Your images are sharp well exposed, and most of all well composed. #2 with the Penguin chick is especially poingnant!

Jehan
Wingman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2011, 11:19 AM   #4

Jehan said it for me.

K5, Sigma 50 1.4, Tamron 28-75, Tamron 70-200 2.8, Panasonic LX5, Canon G15
Dr. C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2011, 12:23 PM   #5

Incredible shots-thanks for sharing
DMJJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2011, 11:29 PM   #6

Wonderful shots - what a trip of a lifetime! Fascinating, especially love the baby.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2011, 7:34 AM   #7

Penolta- Thanks for the ID on the gull. Did not know the name but saw them several times in Tierra del Fuego and Chile. I think they were a little late here for a Penguin egg dinner.

DMJJR & Dr C - Thanks and glad you enjoyed them.

Jehan - March of the penguins indeed. They were absolutely wonderful to watch walking around. I think that the fact that they walk like us is what captivates us by them. Also the expressive way they position their wings.

Thanks for your nice comments as well.

Harriet - The babies were endearing but the parents were stealing the show with their vocalizing and antics. There was another pair near them sitting on eggs and if one of them came too close to the chick, the pair would display and squawk to scare them away.

Lou
Old Nov 9, 2011, 11:30 AM   #8

Wow these are great Lou - you are very lucky (and very brave - it's cold down there) to have this opportunity. Hope those remote Brits are treating you right

Post more - love to see shots of the town / island / ship you are on.

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2011, 8:20 PM   #9

Lou, these are amazing shots. What a remarkable trip! I couldn't pick a favorite from these if I had to. Thank you for sharing so many highlights.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2011, 10:21 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogfish View Post
Wow these are great Lou - you are very lucky (and very brave - it's cold down there) to have this opportunity. Hope those remote Brits are treating you right

Post more - love to see shots of the town / island / ship you are on.
Kevin, The Brits that I met when asked why they came to the Falklands said that they came and stayed because they liked the laid back lifestyle and the party like atmosphere. It sounded like a lot of pub time and congenial people.

Lou