Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 7, 2011, 9:27 PM   #1

Default Additional Thoughts On My K-5

Got the camera on October 30th. Sample images have been posted in this forum.

My newspaper editor is very happy with the quality of the images especially the night shots.

I got approx 700 shots on the supplied battery. I shot a lot of them with the flash since the first batch were shot at night. Even when the battery level showed all red it kept shooting. I finally took it out after approx 700 shots being in the red zone for at least 40 images and charged overnight.

Battery took 6 hours to fully charge in supplied charger

Carried the camera via supplied strap and in hand for just over an hour on a walking tour of a high school construction site. The strap was uncomfortable but in hand the camera felt good. After an hour my wrist did not hurt nor did my arm.

I am using the Sigma 18-250mm lens (the only one I bought for the camera) and it gives me everything I need on the wide end and 95% on the long zoom end. There are those times I wish it went a little bit more. I will get use to it sooner or later after coming form the Fuji HS20 with its seemingly endless zoom

The lens feels good on the body and is not front heavy at all.

I ended up buying the Black Rapid ( hope that is spelled right) 7 camera strap and it is working good for me although since I am short the camera hangs a little below my waist with the strap at its shortest length.

One person asked me in a PM what other camera I was looking at for my newspaper photography use. I had a list of a bunch of cameras I started looking at in September got a used Canon 40D that was a disaster. In October I narrowed it down to the Canon 60D, Nikon D90, Sony A77 and Pentax K-5....... The Pentax won out after reading all the reviews and looking at many you tube videos on each camera. The burst mode and ISO1600 samples are what won me over. and the fact that the ISO1600 samples were with the kit lens and not an f2.8

A few suggestions to those who may get the Pentax K-5

The 16MP file sizes are big so have a 16GB card in the camera if you shoot a lot. If you a wedding photographer or will be covering a large event as a pro have a spare 16GB in the camera bag, maybe even a third card. Also if you don't need full news page prints or big posters consider the excellent 10MP file size.......

Get another camera strap for it, the one that comes with it gets in the way of the lens at times depending on how you sling it and carry it in the hand and is not padded at all.

The battery takes 6 hours to charge so plan accordingly to get your batter(ies) charged in time for your needs.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 7, 2011, 9:58 PM   #2

I had to laugh at your last comment - the best advice I once heard is to get the camera, put the battery into the charger and then use the 6 hours to read the owners manual. Thought that was pretty good advice, I took it when I bought the K7. I didn't when I got the K5 - then I just put the K7's battery in the new camera and took a couple of shots. Loved the instant gratification!

One thing you might consider (depending on your budget and other needs) is to get something like the DA*300 for a longer lens than your 18-250. Then you'd have the zoom for most of your needs and then a really lovely lens for those times that you want something longer. That way you wouldn't have an overlap. But it might not be a good solution for your work though.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2011, 7:52 AM   #3

Due to what I do I really need one lens that can stay on the camera. I get around smoke and fire and stuff too much to be changing lenses. In fact changing lenses etc is what killed my Sony D-SLR in 2009.

David
Old Nov 8, 2011, 8:50 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
I had to laugh at your last comment - the best advice I once heard is to get the camera, put the battery into the charger and then use the 6 hours to read the owners manual. Thought that was pretty good advice, I took it when I bought the K7. I didn't when I got the K5 - then I just put the K7's battery in the new camera and took a couple of shots. Loved the instant gratification!.
Although I am glad you had a laugh........ The reason for that advice which wasn't meant to be funny. It was given because some people (like me) like to know how long it takes to get the battery fully charged so they are not caught with their pants down. That way they can start early enough in the time cycle to make sure they have all their batteries charged when they are doing weddings or special events and need maximum battery power.

Will out covering the local elections this evening and night. Should get a lot more photos with the K-5.

dave
Old Nov 13, 2011, 5:40 PM   #5

Glad to hear your equipment is working out so well for you!
Will look forward to seeing more of your great photos posted...
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2011, 11:36 AM   #6
Super Moderator

Good news Dave that all is well with this camera, that you are enjoying using it and that the paper is happy..... what more could one ask?

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote