Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 13, 2011, 4:02 AM   #1

Default Very low prices for K5 in Shanghai

Guys 'n Gals if on the remote possibility you are visiting Shanghai in the near future and want to buy a K5 let me know and I'll take you to the shop where I buy most of my Pentax gear : I've been unable to resist and today have just picked up my second K5, this time for RMB5,800 (about US$920) and also added the WR 18-55 for another RMB600 (about US$90) which I didn't do with the first one. Great prices for this wonderful camera !

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 13, 2011, 7:29 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogfish View Post
Guys 'n Gals if on the remote possibility you are visiting Shanghai in the near future and want to buy a K5 let me know and I'll take you to the shop where I buy most of my Pentax gear : I've been unable to resist and today have just picked up my second K5, this time for RMB5,800 (about US$920) and also added the WR 18-55 for another RMB600 (about US$90) which I didn't do with the first one. Great prices for this wonderful camera !
Geez. My DL, K100D and K20D are still going strong. Particularly the DL. How about the warranty issue in mainland China? Standard 1 yr ? In Can/US it costs around $1000 with 2 yrs warranty.
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2011, 7:58 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielchtong View Post
Geez. My DL, K100D and K20D are still going strong. Particularly the DL. How about the warranty issue in mainland China? Standard 1 yr ? In Can/US it costs around $1000 with 2 yrs warranty.
In China Pentax give you a one year warranty. I'm not sure about International warranties as living here permanently it's not really an issue for me. I suppose you could register the camera on-line with Pentax ?

Isn't it possible to buy extended warranties in the USA no matter who you bought the camera from, so long as it is still within the first year warranty period ? I'll try and remember to ask them when I'm there next !

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Old Nov 13, 2011, 5:05 PM   #4

Wow, what a great deal! About a week ago a friend e-mailed me a special promotional ad from a Pentax dealer that was valid only for the duration of a trade show. The price for a K5 (body only) with US warranty was US $1050. Unfortunately for me, the trade show ended the day before I read the e-mail. I thought that was a great price, but you can get it for even less!
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2011, 6:31 PM   #5

That's interesting, it used to be that you couldn't beat prices in the US. I have traveled much of Europe and some of South America for business and was always shocked by the prices of electronics and Cameras. On my one trip to Japan about 15 years ago it was the same prices were high. It must be that the consumer electronic demand in Asia has dramatically increased over the years and like the US consumers must be enticed to purchase new stuff.

Hans

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2011, 12:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnikesch View Post
That's interesting, it used to be that you couldn't beat prices in the US. I have traveled much of Europe and some of South America for business and was always shocked by the prices of electronics and Cameras. On my one trip to Japan about 15 years ago it was the same prices were high. It must be that the consumer electronic demand in Asia has dramatically increased over the years and like the US consumers must be enticed to purchase new stuff.

Hans
It may be a number of factors Mike.

China is just a hop, skip and a jump from Japan - a 1.5 -2 hrs flight from Shanghai, so transport costs are low. Many cameras and lenses are now made in China, so no import duties.

Vast market - I mentioned this in a thread maybe a year ago - the newly formed and highly affluent middle class want what Americans/Europeans have taken for granted for decades, starting with designer labels and technology (look at Apple - when the iPhone 4 was first released in China it sold 1/2 million units on the first day alone - at prices 50% higher than in the USA) !

I also said that China was/is a massive opportunity if Pentax were quick of the mark ... you see a lot more Pentaxes here than in the West. I hope Ricoh take advantage of this as, as with car marques being bought up by Chinese car-makers, this is a market where the massive purchasing power of the Chinese middle-class can power Ricoh-Pentax on to the benefit of the all Pentax users globally.

Old Nov 15, 2011, 3:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnman View Post
Wow, what a great deal! About a week ago a friend e-mailed me a special promotional ad from a Pentax dealer that was valid only for the duration of a trade show. The price for a K5 (body only) with US warranty was US $1050. Unfortunately for me, the trade show ended the day before I read the e-mail. I thought that was a great price, but you can get it for even less!
Thats the price we've got here now. I only hope they'll come down a bit more. Then I'll get a second.