Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 13, 2011, 4:19 PM   #1

Default The one that got away

After running many errands yesterday I was driving home on a scenic Vermont highway. The sun was setting and illuminating the undersides of some clouds with a lovely golden-pinkish glow. All of a sudden, a gaggle of geese, appeared in a perfect V formation, creating a fabulous contrast against the beautiful glowing clouds. Naturally I didn't have my camera with me, not even the little point & shoot that I usually carry. I realize that geese flying past a lovely sunset has been done many times, but it still would have made a nice photo, if only I'd had a camera with me.

So I'm wondering, what fabulous photo opportunities have you missed in the past?
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 13, 2011, 5:19 PM   #2

I crew on a friends sail boat for races and always bring my P&S, well almost the one day I forgot the wind and was light and the reflections of boats would have been amazing, and because of a new course we also got views of boats heading in the opposite direction flying spinnakers that in past races would never have been as close to us. Oh well that will teach me, I do have some of my P&S race shots on my flickr page to give you an idea. The races get quite hectic and I'm afraid of ripping the plastic mount of my kit lens or soaking my new Kr.

Hans

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:

Last edited by hnikesch; Nov 13, 2011 at 5:22 PM.
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2011, 5:37 AM   #3

I know the feeling. I was driving down the main street of Andover, MA last winter when 2 dear, a full racked buck and a doe came walking down the center of the road stopping traffic in both directions. Obviously I had no camera in the car.

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2011, 11:53 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnman View Post
After running many errands yesterday I was driving home on a scenic Vermont highway. The sun was setting and illuminating the undersides of some clouds with a lovely golden-pinkish glow. All of a sudden, a gaggle of geese, appeared in a perfect V formation, creating a fabulous contrast against the beautiful glowing clouds. Naturally I didn't have my camera with me, not even the little point & shoot that I usually carry. I realize that geese flying past a lovely sunset has been done many times, but it still would have made a nice photo, if only I'd had a camera with me.

So I'm wondering, what fabulous photo opportunities have you missed in the past?
One day, one day. I take the K5 and at least 3 or 4 lenses with me everywhere I go ... just in the off-chance something interesting will materialise

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2011, 8:24 PM   #5

One day I was up early taking macro photos in my front yard (it was frosty). I happened to look up to see a coyote running through my next door neighbor's yard with something black in its mouth. I stood there for a minute or two wondering if it had a cat or a dog, without thinking about the camera around my neck. By the time I came out of the trance, the coyote was long gone.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2011, 5:26 AM   #6

Wouldn't you know it ... today I saw something I've never seen before here, a camel walking through the streets of Shanghai (you can find them out in the Western reaches of the country and in the Gobi desert) ..... however by the time I got my camera out (before the traffic lights changed) I found I had a 10-20 on and couldn't change it in time - rats !

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2011, 7:19 AM   #7

I was in Germany during a thunder storm when the rain stopped. The sun broke through shinning almost exclusively on a castle with the nearly black clouds as a back drop. Alas no camera in the car.
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote