Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 14, 2011, 3:51 PM   #1

Default Question on bokeh

When shooting photos, I almost never pay much attention to the out-of-focus areas, but thanks to patty's excellent topic for this month's challenge, I'm "focusing" much more on those areas of the photo. (Sorry for the terrible pun.) I have recently noticed that when I view the scene through the viewfinder, the out-of focus areas are only slightly out of focus. If I shoot with an aperture of f/1.4 or 1.8, when I view the same shot on the computer screen, it's completely out of focus.

I suspect the best way to deal with this is to pay close attention and practice, but can anyone provide any tips on how better to anticipate what the bokeh of the final image will look like?
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 14, 2011, 4:25 PM   #2

I think you may need to set the camera to Optical Preview.
tony3dd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2011, 6:56 PM   #3

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

I use the "Depth of Field" preview control which stops the lens down to the designated aperture and allows you to see what the final image would look like. Note that with smaller apertures, the preview will render a dark (low light) preview through the view finder.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2011, 8:23 PM   #4

I use Wingman's method for a good guess. Also usually take several bracketed shots at varied f-stops when possible...
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2011, 11:24 PM   #5

The problem is related to the focusing matte screen. The original matte screen is optimized to show an as-bright-as-possible image through the viewfinder when using the very common kitlenses and other zooms with maximum apertures around 3.54.
This comes at a cost, though. The cost is that the screen can't show any difference in depth-of-field when you use apertures wider than 2-2.8. So if you set your fast lens to f1.4 and use the dof-preview you will only see the dof of f2.8 anyway. And if your focus is slightly off, you won't see that either and end up with an unsharp picture.
To me this has been very frustrating, since I have and want to use some very good fast lenses: the A* 85mm f1.4, FA 50mm 1.4 and FA35mm f2.
I didn't know that my problem was related to the matte screen till I read this thread at "the other forum": http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/p...anon-ee-s.html

I bought a customized EE-s screen from Focusingscreen in Taiwan, made the shift in ten minutes and now have a totally different shooting experience with my premium lenses.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2011, 9:10 PM   #6

Kjell, thank you very much. That explains the discrepancy between what I saw in the viewfinder and the image that I saw on my computer screen. Thanks also for the info on the focusing screen. I'm thinking about getting the Rokinon 85mm f/1.4 lens, but I've been wondering how well I'd do with it since it's a manual focusing unit. The replacement screen should help with that issue tremendously.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2011, 9:47 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnman View Post
Kjell, thank you very much. That explains the discrepancy between what I saw in the viewfinder and the image that I saw on my computer screen. Thanks also for the info on the focusing screen. I'm thinking about getting the Rokinon 85mm f/1.4 lens, but I've been wondering how well I'd do with it since it's a manual focusing unit. The replacement screen should help with that issue tremendously.
So will the in-camera CIF ! I use CIF with my Contax Zeiss 85/1.4 and it's brilliant. Just make a few test shots to find out whether actual focus in the 'focus range' is when focusing from Out to In or In to Out.

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote