Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 22, 2011, 7:06 PM   #1

Default Snowy up here in these parts...

Well I finally got some shots of a Snowy owl! These guys are so skittish..by the time you slow down to snap a picture..they are gone! But today with a little creative driving with my knees (I was alone on a country road)..I managed to snag a few of two different owls.I just wished I had would had my camera set to take continuous shots..next time....They are not the sharpest but I was just happy to get some at all.There's still alot of winter left..
Attached Images

kashka is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 22, 2011, 10:14 PM   #2

Wow, these are great! I don't think I've ever even seen a snowy owl. I don't think they're very common in my area. (Or maybe I'm just unlucky when it comes to these birds!)
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2011, 10:17 PM   #3

Wow! What a beautiful bird, and I think you've done very well with them. You might think about perhaps brightening the last one a bit. It looks underexposed on my monitor - a very good thing with white birds - and could probably stand being lightened some. There's lots of feather detail in it, a really nice picture.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2011, 10:20 PM   #4

Those are really nice. The blue background is perfect.
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2011, 10:49 PM   #5

Thanks for looking!..I gave the last one a smidge of bightening up..I wasn't too sure how they would turn out as I didn't have time to fiddle with settings when I spotted them while driving..lol.Just had the camera on Auto and hoped for the best.You could see them a half mile down the road,a bright blotch of white atop the hydro poles and normally if you stop or even slow down they take off but these two blessed me with a little time.This time they allowed me about 30 seconds before they flew off after I stopped.I am looking forward to my drives to work this week as they are calling for clear skies and now I will be a little more prepared and hopefully get some shots with them in flight..
Attached Images

Old Nov 23, 2011, 9:14 AM   #6

As has been said above wow, I have never seen one in person great job

Hans

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2011, 9:16 AM   #7

Beautiful shots of this hard to photograph bird. I have been looking for Snowy Owls for 3 years now and have only seen one and that was through my spotting scope. It was in a snow filled field and if it weren't for some other eagle eyed birders that had spotted it I never would have noticed it.

These birds are nocturnal hunters and it is rare to see them with eyes open in the daytime. When they are perched like this they usually have their eyes closed.

Nice captures!!!

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2011, 5:53 PM   #8

Kashka,

Very nice pix of the Snowies.

I see them occasionally on hwy. (7 ?) going from the Peg north to Stonewall ...also around Oak Hammock. But I haven't been out that way since last year...didn't realize they're back in the southern part of Mb. yet, this winter.

A good area sometimes in the winter, to see Northern Hawk owls in the province is Hwy. 15 east from Wpg. to Rennie. Some have also seen Great Gray owls around there, but around Old Hwy. 15. I haven't been one of the lucky ones.

Les
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2011, 7:38 PM   #9

Thanks for the kind words,eveyone! I normally don't get excited about getting shots but these guys had me going this time...I have been trying for years..lol.

Les,there are alot out here this year.I got these between Souris and Boissivein.Wide open prairie and all they have are the poles to perch on..I would say there is one sitting about every five or six miles down this stretch of road and surrounding area wherever there is hydro.Just before I came up on the first one there was a pair of ring neck pheasants on the side of the road..again..caught me by surprise and wasn't ready.I didn't even know they were up here..in the winter,too.Thanks for the tip on the hawk owls..if I am ever up in that area I will be on the lookout.I have only seen one and that was up at Baldy Mt..really neat bird!
Old Nov 23, 2011, 10:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kashka View Post
Thanks for the kind words,eveyone! I normally don't get excited about getting shots but these guys had me going this time...I have been trying for years..lol.

Les,there are alot out here this year.I got these between Souris and Boissivein.Wide open prairie and all they have are the poles to perch on..I would say there is one sitting about every five or six miles down this stretch of road and surrounding area wherever there is hydro.Boy that is quite a few...more than usual ? Wonder if the rodent population is light up north this year ? I used to have family in Boissivein and as a result am familiar with the area. I'll have to make sure that i take a winter trip there this year...keep my eye out for Snowies and my 55-300mm ready to go.Just before I came up on the first one there was a pair of ring neck pheasants on the side of the road..again..caught me by surprise and wasn't ready.I didn't even know they were up here..in the winter,too.Saw some Ring Neck Pheasants last year (winter)...trying to recall where...think a field in the general area of Neepawa or Gladstone...although that doesn't sound right.Thanks for the tip on the hawk owls..if I am ever up in that area I will be on the lookout.I have only seen one and that was up at Baldy Mt..really neat bird!

You're welcome. A couple of years ago, I was able to get a fairly good picture of the Northern Hawk Owl. It was perched near the top of a leafless tree
in the Sandilands, on the North side of Hwy. 15. I was able to wade through the snow...constantly taking pictures with my 55-300 Pentax lens. I was surprised how it didn't seem to 'spook'...just looked at me until I got to the base of the tree...than flew.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote