Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 25, 2011, 4:05 PM   #11

Well, I'm the kind of guy who enjoy a lot of different things (with the exception of sports). Let me show you one, that consumes quite a bit of my time and money - keeping tropical parrots.

This summer I spent a lot of time making new aviaries.

Name:  Kjell-netting-frame.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  190.6 KB

My wife and our adopted crow also did quite a part of the job

Name:  Christina-cutting-net.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  222.0 KB

Finally it was all put in place

Name:  Aviaries.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  229.0 KB

And our Scarlet Macaw had a new and larger playground

Name:  Scarlet-from-inside-aviary.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  235.3 KB

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2011, 6:06 PM   #12

I serve on several town committees, and I am also a member of our town's elected Selectboard, so I am seriously lacking for spare time. When I do find some spare time I love all sorts of outdoor pursuits: hiking, canoeing, kayaking, fishing, etc. Many years ago I did a fair amount of technical mountaineering, but it's been several decades since I scaled my most recent cliff. In the winter I enjoy snowshoeing, cross country skiing, and snowboarding. (A fat guy in his 50s is not the first image that comes to mind when you think of a snowboarder, but nonetheless I try to get out to the slopes several times every winter.)

My wife and I love to travel, but we're both very busy with work, so we rarely get much farther than a week in Florida during the winter, and a week in the Canadian maritime provinces during the summer.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2011, 6:08 AM   #13

How do I start here.
Not that I have that many hobbies.

My first hobby is anything that has to do with PCs.
I'm doing this since the first PCs and I work as a software developer / expert at the University of Antwerp, where I am involved with webapplications.

My second hobby is Square Dancing. I've been active in that scene for years. Had 3 clubs as caller, still have one. Been on the program for some jamborees and special dances.

My third hobby is photography, which combines great with my other hobbies.

Ok I read a lot, watch movies, love being outdoors, enjoy traveling but I don't count them as hobbies.

And I almost forgot my biggest hobby (if I can call them so), my wife (who I met while square dancing) and my daughter.

I'm the guy in black, and my wife is standing next to me.
(k5 in automatic mode, taking a shot every 5 seconds, and somethimes you get lucky)

Cheers

Ronny
Old Nov 26, 2011, 4:38 PM   #14

Well let me see, back home in Gander I am a member of a theatre group called the Avion Players http://avionplayersgander.club.offic...m/default.aspx (the plane logo was my design). I also like cars and once owned a Pontiac Fiero and this web site http://ironduke7.tripod.com/ (which has remained popular in spite of no upgrades in years). I now own a 1999 Mustang V6 coupe which I am slowly upgrading. That is about it.
Attached Images

FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, FA 80-320mm f4.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-P2, E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses

Old Nov 26, 2011, 4:58 PM   #15

I also listen to music, mostly jazz and classical. I have a son who is a Jazz musician, main instrument is tenor Sax, plays all saxes, clarinet, flute and keyboards. I too kept looking for better speakers, have settled on Neform Research, using patented uni-direction ribbon ribbon tweeters from 1000 cycles up. Only only one that stopped my son in his tracks the first time he heard them. They are only sold on line by a Canadian Company.

My other biggest hobby is Fishing. Mostly inland for Snook, Tarpon, Redfish and Sea Trout (Weakfish). I use mostly casting reels but do some fly fishing.

Ed
snooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2011, 9:26 PM   #16

I've also thought of this (converting LPs) and already have high quality audio equipment, plus an AD converter I bought - that was pricey, as it also amplifies the very low output from a moving coil cartridge to line/usb. The trouble is I have many LPs and the process will take months. I suspect I'll never do it, other than for a few very special LPs that have never been released on CD.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 10:11 PM   #17

I like working with wood. Here is a coffee table made of ash. Lots of fun.

Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2011, 6:26 AM   #18

Hi all,

My main interests are Amateur radio, Photography, Computers, DIY, and my garden, not necessarily in that order. Although all my hobbies are now curtailed by ill health (back problems, and deteriorating sight).
I like to build my own radio equipment, similarly I've devised a few photographic aids. I was into computers from the early 90s when we worked in DOS (somewhat rusty now), and windows 3.1. my only store made PC was a HP model with a massive (at that time) 100 Megabyte HDD... a gift from one of my daughters, since then my several PCs have all been homebrewed, except laptops. I frequently get asked to sort out friends PC problems.
Re. DIY house improvements and maintenance have been high on my list. I'm proficient in plumbing, and reasonably so in woodwork, the electrical side isn't a problem, I can turn my hand to brickwork but wouldn't win prizes for speed LOL.
Apart from that I read in short spells. I keep the grey matter working with crosswords, and sudoku puzzles, I'm good at sleeping too.
I think that's about it ... Jack
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2011, 12:20 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyrics51 View Post
I like working with wood. Here is a coffee table made of ash. Lots of fun.
Lovely table. You'd do well down here.

And Jack, back in the early '70's I worked with small computers where I had to write an operating system AND user program to fit into 600 bytes. When the machines were upgraded to 1000 bytes I just didn't know what to do with all that space! Moving on a bit, I took a public sector job in the mid-late 90's and was given a desktop computer with a massive 4gb hard drive. It was said that it was impossible to fill it. Now I routinely use pocketable disk drives of 1 terabyte each, and my smallest laptop has 1/2 terabyte of hard drive space. Technology has moved so far so fast. Youngsters now can't begin to imagine life without MP3 players etc, gadgets that were science fiction barely a decade ago.

Last edited by peterbj7; Nov 27, 2011 at 12:28 PM.
peterbj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2011, 2:01 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterbj7 View Post
Lovely table. You'd do well down here.

And Jack, back in the early '70's I worked with small computers where I had to write an operating system AND user program to fit into 600 bytes. When the machines were upgraded to 1000 bytes I just didn't know what to do with all that space! Moving on a bit, I took a public sector job in the mid-late 90's and was given a desktop computer with a massive 4gb hard drive. It was said that it was impossible to fill it. Now I routinely use pocketable disk drives of 1 terabyte each, and my smallest laptop has 1/2 terabyte of hard drive space. Technology has moved so far so fast. Youngsters now can't begin to imagine life without MP3 players etc, gadgets that were science fiction barely a decade ago.
Yes, I can appreciate your comments, I did have a Sinclair ZX 81, and a ZX spectrum not really sure when that was (still have them somewhere I think). I was very green on the subject at that time, they were used more like toys.
I can remember paying 100 + for a 8 GB HDD, a 1 TB drive can be had for less now. My mobile phone has more capability than the Sinclair items, as you say technical progress moves like lightning. .. Jack

Apologies to Jim, I don't want to hog the thread.

Last edited by jachol; Nov 27, 2011 at 2:03 PM.
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote