Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 1, 2011, 5:54 PM   #31
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesmore49 View Post
Keltech,

Beautiful '67 Chevelle. In '68 I bought (used) a '67 Camaro coupe, 327 V8, 4 speed Muncie, Rally wheels...similar blue to your sharp looking convert.

What engine/transmission do you have in your Chevelle ?

Les
The '68 is better. ;-) Chevrolet put the shocks on the same side of the rear axle with the '67. In '68, they staggered them so that one was behind it and one was in front of it to reduce wheel hop.

I had a '68 Camera SS with the lower horsepower 396 in it (325HP, which is all you got if you wanted A/C in one). But, we (my father and I) rebuilt the motor in it with pop top pistons, different heads, etc. at the time. The darn thing wouldn't handle or brake very well though (it only had drum breaks on it). Top end was nice though and I really loved the car. LOL

I later got a "plain jane" '69 Camera and swapped a 307 that came with it using a 400 Small Block from a newer Chevrolet Caprice. But, it never did seem as nice as the older '68 model. The 67 and 68 Camaros were almost the same except for small differences like round parking lamps on the 67 and rectangular parking lamps on the 68. But, something about the minor body and and interior changes with the '69 seemed a bit too different for my tastes. So, I never liked it as well as my '68 SS.

Of course, they were minor compared to the major changes made to the '70 and later models (and I did buy a '77 Rally Sport brand new later on, but it just wasn't the same as the older ones).

Keltech:

As for your Chevelle... nice car. My very first car was a '68 Chevelle Malibu with a 327. It had a 2 speed Powerglide in it. lol

But, the earlier '67 like yours was a nicer ride. My brother-in-law had a '67 SS for a while that I was always jealous of, and I never got a chance own '67 Chevelle.

Hang on to it, as you just don't see many of them around anymore.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2011, 10:49 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
The '68 is better. ;-) Chevrolet put the shocks on the same side of the rear axle with the '67. In '68, they staggered them so that one was behind it and one was in front of it to reduce wheel hop.wheel hop was quite bad on my 67 RS...sometimes I would get a better hard start by using 2nd...only one leaf...mono leaf on either side of the axle. Although the '67 and 68 looked similar, I preferred the look of the '67...only because it didn't have the side marker lights which were federally mandated for 68 cars.

I came close to buying a 67 Mustang fastback...289/225hp...4 speed top loader...previous owner had 'Bulletized' it a bit...being a young guy that appealed to me.

I had a '68 Camera SS with the lower horsepower 396 in it (325HP, which is all you got if you wanted A/C in one). But, we (my father and I) rebuilt the motor in it with pop top pistons, different heads, etc. at the time. The darn thing wouldn't handle or brake very well though (it only had drum breaks on it).I had the drum brakes on my 67 RS...boy were they weak and did they fade quickly. Top end was nice though and I really loved the car. LOL396 engine was a great engine...my parent's had an unusual 396...it was a 2 bbl....265 hp...one year only, in their '69 Impala...but with the BB, came with a THM 400 and a 12 bolt.

I later got a "plain jane" '69 Camera and swapped a 307 that came with it using a 400 Small Block from a newer Chevrolet Caprice. But, it never did seem as nice as the older '68 model. The 67 and 68 Camaros were almost the same except for small differences like round parking lamps on the 67 and rectangular parking lamps on the 68. But, something about the minor body and and interior changes with the '69 seemed a bit too different for my tastes. So, I never liked it as well as my '68 SS.I never liked the '69 as much either...always surprised when Chevrolet brought out the new Camaro as a '69 retro...oh well.

Of course, they were minor compared to the major changes made to the '70 and later models (and I did buy a '77 Rally Sport brand new later on, but it just wasn't the same as the older ones)emission controls sure had an impact on later car's performance...a friend had a 70 1/2 Camaro Z-28, 4 speed...another acquaintance bought...brand new...a 70 Chevelle SS 454...the 450 hp version with a muncie 4 speed ...

Keltech:

As for your Chevelle... nice car. My very first car was a '68 Chevelle Malibu with a 327. It had a 2 speed Powerglide in it. lol

But, the earlier '67 like yours was a nicer ride. My brother-in-law had a '67 SS for a while that I was always jealous of, and I never got a chance own '67 Chevelle.

Hang on to it, as you just don't see many of them around anymore.
I agree with Jim...you want to keep that lovely '67.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2011, 2:31 PM   #33

For me, it's auto racing (Formula One, IndyCar, LeMans type sports prototypes and World Rally), motorcycling (I currently have a BMW R1150R), amateur radio (although, alas, I haven't been on the air in years), movies, music and, of course, photography. Demands at work (10-12 hours a day) and a long commute (it's metro NYC: two hours in each direction, door to door) mean I don't particpate in any of the above nearly as much as I would like.

A tip of my hat to all of those who find the time to participate in public service and charity work. I guess I 'll have to wait for retirement for that.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2011, 6:44 PM   #34

JimC - I agree with what you said about the brakes. GM was into go.....not stop. Many a ******ing close calls with trying to stop the Chevelle. I had thought about putting Pontiac disks in it but did not as I wanted to keep it original.

Lesmore49 - This Chevelle is not a muscle car. It has a 6 cylinder and 3 on the tree. I purchased it from a friend who purchased it new and 3 months later got a company car and had to sell it.

I have no thoughts of selling it as my 15 year old grandson is drooling over it.

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote