Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 24, 2011, 11:22 PM   #1

Default Twice a Year.....Trumpeter Swans

Every Thanksgiving and Christmas, when I go home to Heber Springs, AR, I make a point of at least one stop at Magness Pond, east of the city, where trumpeter swans begin arriving around Thanksgiving to spend the winter on the pond.

A group that started ten years or so ago at about 12-15 birds now numbers well over 150. This year, the birds have been slow in arriving due to the warm summer, and there were none when I went out there this morning at 10am. After Thanksgiving dinner, I went back about 1:30 and found a couple of dozen birds. The birds are particularly impressive when they get in a dispute and go through a series of dominance displays....

Once in a while, they are NOT fighting....

All shots with the Pentax K-5 and the Sigma 50-500.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 25, 2011, 11:13 AM   #2

Great shots Paul ! My only criticism would be that you have cropped them (if you have) too aggressively and need to leave more space in front of the birds. Love them.

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2011, 11:55 AM   #3

Hi Paul,

Very nicely done!

All exposed beautifully -- hard to do with white birds against the darker water surface. Who woulda thunk that we'd be using ISO 2000 and 3200 outdoors -- in direct sunlight?

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2011, 12:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by snostorm View Post
All exposed beautifully -- hard to do with white birds against the darker water surface. Who woulda thunk that we'd be using ISO 2000 and 3200 outdoors -- in direct sunlight?

Scott
errrrrrr.....ummmmm....... is this the time to remind everyone to check settings before shooting? I had been shooting in twilight, lowlight, the evening before and forgot to change.....
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2011, 6:22 PM   #5

These are great shots Paul. I agree that you did an exceptional job of getting the exposure exactly right. Most of our migratory waterfowl left several weeks ago, so our lakes, ponds, and wetlands are currently devoid of birds. That's probably a good thing, since very soon those water bodies will be covered by ice.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2011, 11:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojansoc View Post
errrrrrr.....ummmmm....... is this the time to remind everyone to check settings before shooting? I had been shooting in twilight, lowlight, the evening before and forgot to change.....
Hi Paul,

. . . But isn't it nice to know that you can actually use this to get great DOF and freeze subject motion -- on purpose? Or as an alternative, you can actually use Auto ISO with a relatively high upper limit without paying a heavy noise price fi the camera chooses a higher setting than you would have normally.

Personally, I really like the crispness of the high ISO shots -- mistake or not.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2011, 10:17 PM   #7

What a wonderful series of sharp and detailed photos, and such great captures of the action too!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote