Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 25, 2011, 7:14 PM   #1

Default Posted some Q + DA 55-300 and DA 18-250 shots. . .

Hi All,

I posted a bunch of shots taken with the Q and DA 55-300 and DA 18-250 on the Pentax Q forum on this site if anyone is interested.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pe...ml#post1268573

I'm pretty impressed! I only sharpened a few as noted, otherwise just downsized them in steps.

Let me know what you think. . .

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 26, 2011, 9:18 PM   #2

Some impressive results with the tiny camera! Will look forward to seeing more!!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2011, 2:51 AM   #3

Hi mole,

Thanks for taking a look and commenting.

From the overwhelming responses, I'm guessing that most weren't very impressed. I think that mistake with these was to post unprocessed pics, though I thought the two that I had processed would illustrate what could be done with them. Oh well. . .

I'll be starting tp try my premium lenses soon if weather permits, and I think they will do very well. I'll also process the pics normally and we'll see what happens. . .

Scott
Old Nov 27, 2011, 4:47 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by snostorm View Post
Hi mole,

Thanks for taking a look and commenting.

From the overwhelming responses, I'm guessing that most weren't very impressed. I think that mistake with these was to post unprocessed pics, though I thought the two that I had processed would illustrate what could be done with them. Oh well. . .

I'll be starting tp try my premium lenses soon if weather permits, and I think they will do very well. I'll also process the pics normally and we'll see what happens. . .

Scott
Hi Scott,

Unprocessed or not, to me the IQ is very good, I like them all ... the only minor fault I see on my screen (Xerox XM3-22WB) is that most of the close-ups are on the dark side, but no problem to correct in PP though.. ... Jack
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2011, 11:48 AM   #5

Using K mount lenses was the first thing I was thinking when I saw the Q, I like your results, Looks like my loyalty to Canon P&S is on shaky ground

Hans

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2011, 8:06 PM   #6

I posted over on the Q board that I was impressed. While I think the 55-300 is an excellent consumer lens, it doesn't compare with one of the *300 lenses at 300. I thought that the unprocessed pictures a bit soft, but that's consistent with what I find with mine on a dSLR. The two processed pictures show how much you can do with the pictures from these two lenses, and that's quite a bit. I still can't justify the expense at full price (and I still haven't actually SEEN one yet) but I'm still interested. The ability to stop down DA lenses makes things interesting.

The one question I have - does the adaptor allow the camera to stop down the lens when you push the shutter, or is it completely manual (having to focus with the lens closed down). I guess since you are focusing with the LCD instead of a viewfinder, the camera would automatically adjust the exposure on the LCD, like live view on the dSLRs?
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2011, 11:05 PM   #7

Thanks to all for taking a look, and posting comments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jachol View Post
Hi Scott,

Unprocessed or not, to me the IQ is very good, I like them all ... the only minor fault I see on my screen (Xerox XM3-22WB) is that most of the close-ups are on the dark side, but no problem to correct in PP though
HI Jack,

I feel that though the originals lack some very fine detail that a larger sensor can capture, the Q does very well. It's not up to APS-C DSLR quality, but it's surprisingly close IMO, and definitely close enough for what I want to do with it.

About the underexposure -- This camera blows highlights very easily, so I'm a bit conservative about the exposures to prevent this when outdoors until I get a bit more used to paying more attention to, and reading the histograms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnikesch View Post
Using K mount lenses was the first thing I was thinking when I saw the Q, I like your results, Looks like my loyalty to Canon P&S is on shaky ground
Hi Hans,

I'm thinking that the new Canon 1/1.7 BSI CMOS sensor in the S100 (and I would suppose the successor to the G12) will probably outperform the one in the Q, but without interchangeable lenses, they don't work for me as well as the Q.

I've been playing with all different kinds of lenses indoors since I got adapters to use my K lenses on the Q, and there have been some rather surprising discoveries. When I get the chance to use them with appropriate subjects, I'll post something. I think I'll be pretty busy this winter finding out all the things this camera can do with different lenses. This is really more fun than I had anticipated. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
I posted over on the Q board that I was impressed. While I think the 55-300 is an excellent consumer lens, it doesn't compare with one of the *300 lenses at 300. I thought that the unprocessed pictures a bit soft, but that's consistent with what I find with mine on a dSLR. The two processed pictures show how much you can do with the pictures from these two lenses, and that's quite a bit. I still can't justify the expense at full price (and I still haven't actually SEEN one yet) but I'm still interested. The ability to stop down DA lenses makes things interesting.

The one question I have - does the adaptor allow the camera to stop down the lens when you push the shutter, or is it completely manual (having to focus with the lens closed down). I guess since you are focusing with the LCD instead of a viewfinder, the camera would automatically adjust the exposure on the LCD, like live view on the dSLRs?
Hi Harriet,

Unfortunately, this adapter only allows stopped down operation of the lenses, but as you guessed, the LCD gains up to indicate the probable exposure of the shot, and it does allow full use of Av priority, including Ev comp and Auto ISO, so it's actually pretty easy to shoot. In any case, I can't use much of the aperture range because diffraction starts to effect the images at pretty wide apertures, so I only use a few clicks anyway.

It would probably be a nice touch to have a switch on the adapter that makes the operation like a preset lens, but that would add more things to go wrong -- and the new adapter that I'm using was only $59 shipped, so I'm not complaining.

I can't fully recommend getting one yet -- there are quite a few bugs that Pentax has to work out, but most of them are FW correctable, and Ricoh has a history of taking care of their products' software side, so I'm hopeful. So far, the first FW update cured some focus accuracy issues and sped up the AF in good light very noticeably.

Here's a short list:

Focus Trap doesn't work --this may have to do with CD AF, but it would be really handy with adapted lenses.

Magnified Focus Aid doesn't work with adapted lenses.

SR doesn't work with adapted lenses, and there's no provision to manually enter a FL for SR for unidentified lenses. There's a rumor that this will be fixed in a future update when Pentax releases their own K to Q adapter. It wasn't mentioned, but the other MF related issues could be addressed at the same time. . .hopefully.

Flash is quirky -- I have to turn the flash off completely in the flash menu to allow a non P-TTL flash to trigger with Q mount lenses. Non P-TTL flashes will not fire under any circumstances with adapted lenses. This will hamper the way I shoot macros in daylight.

P-TTL flashes (both the popup and external) will both fire and meter in P-TTL with adapted lenses, but only in Red Eye Reduction or Slow Sync Modes.

1/13 max flash sync speed with the electronic shutter -- this also limits flash use in daylight with adapted lenses. I think that the electronic shutter is probably capable of faster sync speeds since it's included in the circuitry of the sensor, and it would be silly to not take advantage of features that should be built in.

I can easily work around all the issues, even the last -- I'm researching compact multi-LED panels used for video to see if they will have enough light to shoot macros with fast enough shutter speeds to stop camera shake and subject motion. I've pretty much the whole winter to figure out the best fix for this problem, so I'm not worried.

Scott
Old Nov 28, 2011, 9:55 PM   #8

As far as the macro and flash - what about getting one of the LED ring lights that's always on (or for that matter, an LED light that's designed for photo use but doesn't work by flash - turn it on and you have the additional light to set exposure by). That way you don't have to depend on the flash. But you'd probably need to use a tripod, perhaps a couple of plamps, too (still want two).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2011, 12:47 PM   #9

G'day Scott

1- don't be too hard on yourself -or us- if responses don't stream in 'real qwik' .... some of us don't get here every day

2- The images are a great advert for the camera & its abilities to host alternate lenses. I am most taken with the pre- post-sharpening ones showing the value of a bit of pp sharpening

Well done - when you've done some more tests etc, let's see 'em
Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2011, 5:17 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by snostorm View Post
Hi Hans,

I'm thinking that the new Canon 1/1.7 BSI CMOS sensor in the S100 Scott
Scott, The Canon I have now has a 1/1.7 sensor but CCD, Still the Q will make the replacement decision very difficult. Sounds like you have a winter project, have fun I will be looking for your posts.

Hans

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:

Last edited by hnikesch; Nov 29, 2011 at 5:21 PM.
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote