Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 30, 2011, 2:17 PM   #1

Default K-5 and Metz 58 AF-2 in transit

I have been away for two week. Drove down to PA to visit friends and then on to Nashville to have Thanksgiving with my niece and sister. I painfully had to drive right by Moles area of TN without stopping to say hello but time was not with me this trip. The weather was also horrible on the return trip.

This Monday afternoon around 4:00 PM when I arrived at our hotel I went on line to check Cyber Monday prices on the K-5 and purchased one from B&H for $999.95.

My ($25 used) Sunpak auto 383 super that I have been using for the past 5 years died on me two weeks ago so I also purchased the Metz mecablitz 58 AF-2 to replace it. The salesman at B&H was very helpful and advised me that Metz (for Pentax only) had a special to include a mini soft box and a universal bounce diffuser with the flash. My reason for going with the Metz were the metal flash shoe, USB upgradeable capability, more power at focal lengths greater than 70mm and better zoom capability. The price was also less than the Pentax AF540 FG2

I asked B&H to hold off shipping until today and when I got in at 2:00pm I had an e-mail from B&H saying that it shipped today and I will have it tomorrow. I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!

Lou

Last edited by Keltech; Nov 30, 2011 at 2:20 PM.
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 30, 2011, 4:29 PM   #2

I just bought a K-5 (same price) and I'm very happy after two days. The High ISO/low available light performance is something else.

Picture quality..... and I like to think I'm very discerning, is great.

I believe you will be very happy with your new K-5.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2011, 9:47 PM   #3

Congrats! Glad you could take advantage of the specials everyone was running on Monday. I can't wait to see what you make of the K5, and I'd also be interested to see what you think of the Metz flash.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2011, 10:01 PM   #4

and I thought I got a good deal at the end of October when I got $200 off of the body and it came out to $1100 from B&H.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2011, 10:03 PM   #5

Oh and I bought the Vivitar version of the TTL hotshoe flash for the Pentax, have not yet had time to try it out. I did look at the Pentax brand and Metz and opted for some reason to go with the Pentax hope it works out ok for me in the long run.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2011, 7:53 AM   #6

Well Xmas has certainly come early for some !! That is a wonderful pairing Lou !

I think I may just have to go and spend some money tomorrow after all this excitement

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2011, 11:33 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keltech View Post
I have been away for two week. Drove down to PA to visit friends and then on to Nashville to have Thanksgiving with my niece and sister. I painfully had to drive right by Moles area of TN without stopping to say hello but time was not with me this trip. The weather was also horrible on the return trip.

This Monday afternoon around 4:00 PM when I arrived at our hotel I went on line to check Cyber Monday prices on the K-5 and purchased one from B&H for $999.95.

My ($25 used) Sunpak auto 383 super that I have been using for the past 5 years died on me two weeks ago so I also purchased the Metz mecablitz 58 AF-2 to replace it. The salesman at B&H was very helpful and advised me that Metz (for Pentax only) had a special to include a mini soft box and a universal bounce diffuser with the flash. My reason for going with the Metz were the metal flash shoe, USB upgradeable capability, more power at focal lengths greater than 70mm and better zoom capability. The price was also less than the Pentax AF540 FG2

I asked B&H to hold off shipping until today and when I got in at 2:00pm I had an e-mail from B&H saying that it shipped today and I will have it tomorrow. I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!

Lou
Congratulations-I have the Metz AF 48 and it interfaces with my Ist DS, K10d & K20 perfectly-a little different with changing settings but you will get used to it. Good Luck
DMJJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2011, 10:05 PM   #8

Congratulations Lou. I have no doubt you'll make very good use of the new body and flash. I'm terribly envious -- if I had known that B&H was offering the K5 at such a great price, I almost surely would have jumped at it. Alas, I was out of state, and had very limited Internet access that day.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2011, 9:43 AM   #9

Thank all for the well wishes. Both the F-5 and Metz flash arrived Thursday as expected. A quick inspection of the K-5 shows everything is working as it is supposed to. Having batteries form my k-7 I was able to light it up and start playing with it immediately.

I expected better high ISO results, but never had I dreamed it would be so good. Pictures taken @ ISO 12800 in JPEG and given a run through Noiseware in standard setting come out better than the 800 ISO shots I took in RAW with my K-7.

Test shots taken with my sigma 150-500 make it feel like a new and improved lens but I think it is only better use of higher ISO capability that enables me to use higher shutter speeds and higher f/ stops. All my lenses seem to be spot on with no adjustment needed.

The Metz 58-AF2 has taken me more time to wrap my head around the menus and control functions. I had to go back and forth a number of times between the Pentax and Metz manuals to fully understand all the functions of this flash. Never having anything but a Thyristor flash in the past this flash has lots of new features for me to learn and use.

The net result is that I am now comfortable with the Metz and like it a lot. I can't compare it to the Pentax but I find it is working nicely in PTTL mode and giving me nice indoor shots with good range. I have played around with the soft box and diffuser that came with it and feel I will get a lot of use from both. I guess I will have to throw away my alcohol bottle bottom diffuser now.

Next Wednesday I am going to the Boston Museum of Fine Arts and will be limited to shooting without flash or tripod or monopod. So all shots hand held with available light. I will post my first K-5 shots after the visit.

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2011, 10:36 PM   #10

Glad to hear that things are coming along nicely with your new toys. I know what you mean about the high ISO, but don't forget to enable the extended ISO range and use ISO 80 - that's the one I really fell in love with.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote