Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 3, 2011, 7:58 AM   #1

Default San Disk Extreme HD Video 16GB card problem

Well, I got my card yesterday. Proceeded to put it in the camera to format it and when I turned the camera on, nothing worked. I couldn't get to the menu to even select format. The top LCD screen was leaving behind shadows when turned off and the back LCD wasn't working at all just like when I had gotten my first K5 that I returned. I was using San Disk 4GB cards at that time. Maybe the 8GB, but I'm pretty sure it was the two 4GB's I have.

I took the card out and the battery. Left the battery out a few seconds and put it back in. Put my old San Disk 8GB class 10 card and it worked fine. So, tried the 16GB again and this time I could get to the menu and format the card.

Any ideas on what might have happened? Maybe this card is not good for this camera? Maybe this camera is going to have the same problem the first one had from the beginning? Maybe it was just a fluke and it will all work well together for the life of each?

Thanks for any input. I'd hate to find out one day that it happens again and I can't fix it.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 3, 2011, 1:59 PM   #2

Patty, the card may not have been fully seated. I don't think it is either a card or camera problem.

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2011, 2:06 PM   #3

Do an online search & download 'h2testw.exe' and check the card meets the specification - I purchased a Kingston Class 10 32G which had less than 2G of usable memory and a write speed of just 2GB/S; needless to say, it went straight back.

H2testw was developed to test USB sticks for various kinds of errors. It can also be used for any other storage media like memory cards, internal and external hard drives and even network volumes
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2011, 2:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keltech View Post
Patty, the card may not have been fully seated. I don't think it is either a card or camera problem.

Lou

If I hadn't taken it out and put it in three different times before going back to the old card, I might think it wasn't seated correctly. But.....

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2011, 9:20 PM   #5

It does sound like a card problem, not a camera problem, since the old card works right.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote