Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 9, 2011, 2:08 PM   #11
Administrator

VLC should work with them.

I haven't tried it under Windows yet, as I'm running some processes in Linux right now and I can't boot into Windows until they're finished. But, if they work in VLC under Linux, they should also work in VLC under Windows, as VLC is using internal codecs under both operating systems for AVI playback, versus relying on external codecs to support that video type.

So, either your version of VLC is so outdated that can't play them (which I'd think is unlikely, but i'd upgrade it to make sure), or something is "stepping on" your video files during the transfer process.

Are you just copying and pasting the files using Windows Explorer, or are you using some kind of transfer software with them?

If the latter, I'd suspect the software you're using may be causing an issue (or something you have running is causing a problem, as sometimes virus scanners, firewalls, drivers for other USB devices and more can cause problems from time to time).

But, I'd take troubleshooting one step at a time, finding out if the same format from other sources plays OK or not. If not, your player probably has an issue and upgrading it to the latest version should fix it. If the player works with files from a K5 from other sources, then your transfer process is likely the culprit (software you're using, other software running causing corruption, or even a bad cable or USB port causing problems).

It shouldn't be that difficult to narrow it down to one problem or another, based on whether or not you can play back the same video type from other sources.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2011, 3:48 PM   #12

Just out of curiosity, I opened the mentioned file with Media Player Classic, and it plays just fine on my Windows laptop.
Irfanview is another program to try, as it seems to be able to play just about anything.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2011, 7:32 PM   #13

When I move images from my memory card via memory card reader all I am doing is opening the folder that has the photos in it, doing a select all command and then pasting them into the target folder on my hard drive. So I am not using any middle man software (or at least I don;t think I am). By the way I did the exact same functions with my Fuji SH20 and had zero issues. I'll upgrade the software and run the test files and if that doesn't solve the issue then its with the camera since I did this on 2 separate computers running them in 3 separate video programs....

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2011, 6:28 PM   #14
Administrator

Hey Dave.

I just booted into Windows for the first time in days and remembered this thread. So, I tried playing a K5 avi file from imaging-resource.com and do get an error about the indexes needing fixing using VLC 1.1.11 under Windows.

Interesting (playback of the file appears to be broken in VLC for Windows, even though it works OK using VLC under Linux). There is a version difference, as VLC 1.1.12 is the latest stable release for Linux, and the older 1.1.11 version is the most recent stable release for Windows. I then tried one of the nightly builds for Windows (vlc-1.3.0-git-20111212-0003-win32.exe) and see the same thing (error message about indexes).

So, you may need to find another player to play them in Windows, as it looks like playback of avi files from the K5 is broken in the Windows versions of VLC (including in the latest stable version and in one of the latest nightly build development snapshots, even though the latest VLC 1.1.12 release for Linux plays them with no problems). I also tried Windows Media player (the one included with 64 bit Win 7) and it couldn't play them either.

You may want to try Media Player Classic, as VTphotog mentioned that it plays them OK in his Windows installation. I don't have it installed and didn't try it. The latest version appears to be known as Media Player Classic Home Cinema, which is based on the original. Get it here:

http://mpc-hc.sourceforge.net/
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2011, 8:01 PM   #15

media player classic solved the entire problem Thanks VTphotog and JimC. Also another work around I found is to import the file and convert immediately to mpeg2 stream via Total Video Convertor that I already have on my computer that I was using to convert video into mp3s . It will then play fine once the conversion is complete.

Thanks for your multi posts and help with this issue.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote