Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 6, 2011, 11:05 PM   #1

Default Pentax K-5 Video Issue

Has anyone had a similar issue?

I took some video the other night with the Pentax K-5 in VGA mode 640x480 at 30fps. When I got the video uploaded to my PC it would not open the video clips immediately. After some time it asked me if I wanted to repair the clip. Then I opened the other 2 and it asked the same thing. I then closed the clips and re-opened them to see if they were ok and it again asked me if I wanted to repair the clips.

Then I went back out and shot VGA mode at 25fps and also HD mode as well. Each time the clips needed to be repaired in order to open and view and repaired each time they were re-opened. The videos look fine once repaired and opened.

I am using transcend Class10 SDHC card which should be plenty fast for 640x480 video.......

Also before anyone asks I also check the video on a second computer qas well as 3 different video players VLC, Windows Media and Nero software and it had same issues, so its not the computer or the video software (or at least it doesn't seem to be). I also took and uploaded similar video clips from a Fuji SH20 to the same 2 machines to check to make sure I didn't have video problem within my computers.

Should I be worried and try to get it repaired? Video is not very inportant to me although I do like the have the option when I really need a video clip to be able to take one with my camera. I usually take about 1 or 2 video clips a months vs 3 to 4,000 stills.

Thanks in advance for your time

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 6, 2011, 11:06 PM   #2

Also I don;t think the memory card is bad because I have used it for 10,000+ still images with no issues and multi video clis taken with Fuji HS20.....No issues. Just issues with K-5 video

dave
Old Dec 7, 2011, 4:41 AM   #3

I had this problem with certain software and video from my K-7, I think it's something to do with the MJPEG format they used, if I tried re-encoding it, the video would become really dark as well. I eventually found a program called "MPEG Streamclip" which handles the video perfectly. I just run it through there after shooting now, convert it to .mp4 and have not had to worry about anything since.
Tamron Adaptall 2 - 28mm, 28-80mm, 500mm Mirror
Pentax KAF - 18-55mm WR, 28-105mm PowerZoom
Pentax K - 50mm f/2, 50mm f/1.7, 28mm f/2.2
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2011, 10:32 AM   #4

There may be an issue with your codecs. I'm guessing that the software with the K5 should install the codecs you need along with the rest of the files, but if not, you should try updating your codecs.
Another possibility is problems with the memory card (fragmentation seems likely with the number of shots you have taken) If you use the card in different cameras, do you format each time when changing, in the camera that you are going to use it in?

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2011, 2:53 PM   #5

I use a Mac and the only time I've played around with video I've imported them into iMovie and had no trouble. I don't now remember what Lightroom opens to play them, when I've imported them - have to check that when I get home. I rarely use video at all.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2011, 9:09 PM   #6

Thanks for the ideas and I reformat the card after each use.

dave
Old Dec 9, 2011, 12:13 AM   #7

The K5 has video ?!

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2011, 9:18 AM   #8

Yes and several setting levels for it as well........ Still unsure what the issue is but I found out if I take a video and then convert it from avi to mpeg-2 it plays back just fine on my PC

dave
Old Dec 9, 2011, 9:46 AM   #9
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photo 5 View Post
Also before anyone asks I also check the video on a second computer qas well as 3 different video players VLC, Windows Media and Nero software and it had same issues, so its not the computer or the video software (or at least it doesn't seem to be).
What version of VLC are you using? I haven't tried playing any videos from the K5 in Windows yet. But, I just tried playing an avi file from a K5 (640x480 at 30fps, which sounds like what you're seeing issues with) using VLC 1.1.12 under Linux, and it plays just fine.

So, I'd make sure you have the latest version of VLC for starters.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

If it still doesn't play, see if you can play one from somewhere else OK to rule out a problem with the way you're transferring them causing errors in the files. Are you using some kind of program to transfer them, or are you just transferring them using Windows Explorer and copying and pasting the files? Card reader or directly connected camera?

If you're using a directly connected camera, I'd set the camera's USB Transfer Mode to USB Mass Storage versus PTP (since PTP can require the camera manufacturer's software to work correctly for transferring photos and videos in many cases).

IOW, if you can play videos from elsewhere, but can't play your videos, the way you're transferring them is probably corrupting the files. I'd suggest using the USB Mass Storage setting in your camera so that it's treated just like any other disk drive if you're trying to copy them from a directly connected camera. That way, you shouldn't need drivers and software from Pentax to copy the videos correctly.

You'll find K5 video samples over at Dave Etchells' imaging-resource.com site on this page (and you can "right click" on the link labeled "Download Original" for one using Firefox and select "Save Link As" to download it to your PC so you can see if VLC can open it).

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/K5/K5VIDEO.HTM

With some Windows players, you may just be missing codecs that work well with some programs (Windows Media Player, etc.). The K-Lite Codec pack is popular with Windows users:

http://www.codecguide.com/download_kl.htm

But, with VLC, you shouldn't need any extra codecs to play them.

So, if they don't work with VLC (and K5 videos from Dave's site at imaging-resource.com do work), I suspect you're probably damaging the files when transferring them by using PTP without using the correct software and drivers installed for that camera.

If that's the case (videos being damaged during the transfer to your PC), using USB Mass Storage instead of PTP will probably solve it for you (you should find a USB Transfer Mode menu choice in your camera's setup screens somewhere).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2011, 1:54 PM   #10

I'm not using the latest version of vlc and I ned to upgrade that. I played identical files from my Fuji HS20 same card/same size/same frame rate with the same players and they worked fine and the K-5 files don't until I converet them to another format......

I'll update my video player at end of this weekend. I have 5 photo assignments for the paper before 6pm Sunday......... Also I will check out the samples and download them as well.

Each time I take the card out of the camera and put in into a USB 2.0 card reader attached to my PC.

Thanks Jim C for the reply