Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 8, 2011, 7:46 PM   #1

Default Pentax K-5 my initial assessment after a week

My initial assessment.

Here it is:

• High ISO performance is magnificent...compared to my Pentax K10D, KM and Canon G 12. These cameras are the only ones I have and can compare to...all fine cameras, but technology does march on. The lack of grain in the K-5, is unbelievable so far to me.
  • Speed of AF....hit the button...zap...it's there. Although in some situations with some lenses there are some concerns. My Pentax Macro F 2.8 50 mm seems not to be a stellar performer when focusing close up. Focus hunts....bad...wonder if it is a characteristic of the Macro lens, due to the narrow DOF of a macro ?
  • Picture quality is really good....I'm impressed...even when cropping...the final picture quality does not seem to fall off. I know some talk about full frames as giving you that extra room to crop and still be fine...but given the larger size of file of my K-5, compared to my previous DSLR...I wonder how much difference there is between a K-5 and say a Canon 5D Mk 11 ? I know...I know...can't compare a FF to a cropped sensor...but I still wonder.
  • Metering- fantastic. Meters very well in all kinds of difficult metering situations.

Don't like:

• PC door....rubber...much prefer the actual, sealed door with a little lock of my K10D.
  • That's all I got.........the K-5 is a wonderful camera. Am I alone in this view ? Is it a case where the novelty hasn't worn off yet...maybe....? I haven't tried the video yet....that's to come.
Les
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 8, 2011, 10:09 PM   #2

Les, I echo what you are saying about the K-5. The high and now that Harriet pointed it out, low ISO both blow me away. I tried some shots at ISO 80 and agree with Harriet that it is awesome.

Having had the K-7 and loving the size and feel of the camera body upon getting the K-5 (that is essentially the same camera with a different Sensor) made me feel real comfortable with this camera very quickly.

I may yet feel a difference in Auto Focus performance as I just updated my firmware today but have not yet used the camera since updating.

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2011, 1:11 AM   #3

The novelty hasn't worn off for me yet Les ..... and I now have two K5s !

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2011, 11:37 PM   #4

I still love the K5, couldn't go back to any of my earlier cameras on a permanent basis.

While I don't entirely like the rubber door, because I find it harder to align correctly, it occurred to me that my Garmin GPS (which is waterproof) has similar rubber doors for the computer hook-ups. So I don't grumble too loudly about it.

The funny thing about ISO 80 is that before I got the camera I didn't care about it at all. Then I read that the camera produced the greatest dynamic range at that ISO, so I tried it. It blew me away far more than the high ISO - I was at least prepared for that.

My particular K5 seems to be willing to blow highlights more than I like when left to itself. There's a huge amount of detail in the shadows that you can recover without effort, so for the most part I keep it set to Ev -.3. The interesting thing is that I used to keep the K100, and K20 set to Ev +.3 and the K7 didn't have any Ev adjustments needed. It may be just my particular camera(s) though.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2011, 10:22 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
I still love the K5, couldn't go back to any of my earlier cameras on a permanent basis.

While I don't entirely like the rubber door, because I find it harder to align correctly, it occurred to me that my Garmin GPS (which is waterproof) has similar rubber doors for the computer hook-ups. So I don't grumble too loudly about it.

The funny thing about ISO 80 is that before I got the camera I didn't care about it at all. Then I read that the camera produced the greatest dynamic range at that ISO, so I tried it. It blew me away far more than the high ISO - I was at least prepared for that.

My particular K5 seems to be willing to blow highlights more than I like when left to itself. There's a huge amount of detail in the shadows that you can recover without effort, so for the most part I keep it set to Ev -.3. The interesting thing is that I used to keep the K100, and K20 set to Ev +.3 and the K7 didn't have any Ev adjustments needed. It may be just my particular camera(s) though.
I commonly find I am using my K-5 set to -.7 and -.3 in order not to have overly bright images.
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2011, 9:31 PM   #6

Great to hear you are enjoying your new equipment!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2011, 10:33 PM   #7

This is very encouraging to hear. I don't know how long I'll have to wait (probably a while yet), but I hope there's a K5 in my future.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote