Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 15, 2011, 5:53 AM   #11

Great Pictures!!!! They bring back a lot of memories. I had forgotten about the caves there. I went to school in SLO and also worked out at Diablo Canyon (yea - I glow in the dark). Is Alex's still on the frontage road to 101? There use to be a great little place called the Custom House across from the head of the pier in Avila Beach. I also understand that they tore Avila Beach up and rebuilt the entire town. Pismo looks like it has really changed.

I still do remember the Sinclair gas station there north of Pismo (actually Shell Beach) along 101, where they had the giant Dinosaurs....

Last edited by interested_observer; Dec 15, 2011 at 5:59 AM.
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2011, 8:11 AM   #12

Very nice series. My favorite is the sea breaking on the rocks. I also like the B&W Shot of the cave.

Now that you have a good low light camera you need to go and photograph the Grunion run in the spring. I remember in the late 60's it was a hippy thing to go to Pismo and watch the run on spring high moon nights.

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2011, 9:42 AM   #13

I think the giant dinosaurs are gone, at least I don't remember them from previous trips. We never really spend much time exploring the area - I have yet to go out to Avila Beach. I understand it's quite the place compared to Pismo. While much of the area on the hills around Pismo has changed, I think the area around the pier is more like what it's been for a very long time. Whenever we go we tend to just visit the area around the pier, have some clam chowder and walk on the beach (day trips). This was the first time I've walked as far as the cliffs - really enjoyed that. Next trip I'll try to go south and explore some of the dunes to the east (I've gone a certain way south and we once took the Jeep along the beach, but we didn't take the time to explore the dunes). I took other pictures, including more of the wave breaking over the cliffs (the one above was actually one of a series). If you are interested, the album is at: http://mtngal.zenfolio.com/p501859899 . A warning: I'll readily admit that the interior pictures are pretty sorry, but that's not my thing and I only posted them because the main audience for the album is other timeshare owners - they are less interested in photo quality as they are how the units are set up. But some of the other shots are more fun from a photo standpoint.

P.S. I've always wanted to watch the grunion run, but have never made it. Maybe some day things will come together and I'll have an opportunity.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2011, 6:33 PM   #14

Fascinating series - both for the natural features and the man-made details! Thanks for sharing the varied scenery (so well-captured), as well as the valuable information about your techniques. Personal favorite would be the wave breaking on the massive rock. I don't find the pasted sky to look unnatural, and actually like it much better than the (to my eyes rather harsh) topaz adjust variation.
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2011, 8:03 AM   #15

I really liked the series!!! We use to go to the Pismo Theater for the $1 movies when in school. They were actually 50 cents since they showed 2 feature films. The road in to Avila Beach is nice. There is also a back way - actually a side way in through the apple orchards.

When I left in the early 80's the housing on the hillside was just starting.

The Dinosaurs are gone. You could not miss them since they were about 3 stories tall - right hand side of 101 going north right at the hill as you climb out of Shell Beach on the way to SLO.

interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2011, 8:52 AM   #16

I could swear Roger Corman shot a low-budget film along that stretch of beach in the 1960's. . Great work, Harriet.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2011, 9:57 AM   #17

It's possible but I don't really know, there's a lot of the California coast that looks like this.

Pismo was once known for clams - there's a type that once was very common there. Unfortunately it was over-harvested and there's not that many left. Clamming is still legal for individuals but there's size limitations. My favorite clam chowder place uses farm-raised clams for their recipe, not native ones.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote