Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 13, 2011, 3:43 PM   #1

Default Overnighter for Clam Chowder (lots of imgs)

We had a quick get-away weekend to Pismo Beach, one of my favorite spots. The surf was very flat so there weren't many surfers out (no surfing pictures from the pier this time). Instead, I walked as far north as the terrain would let me, discovering some interesting rock formations along the way.

There were also a number of small caves. The dynamic range was way too much even for the K5, so I did some HDR processing. I found that the software didn't manage the view outside the cave well, so I took the version of it that I liked the best and did a cut/paste. It doesn't look particularly believable (what I usually aim for), but thought it was nice anyway.

I recently downloaded Topaz Lab's Adjust 5. I hardly ever used Adjust 4 in the past, I found it quickly got an over-processed look and it was too frustrating to try to figure out settings I liked. Adjust 5 is far more graceful, and many of their presets work very well. Here's one of the more extreme ones, but I thought it had a neat effect. If I were going to be serious about this one, I'd probably look for softening it a bit - it's designed to be very harsh. I'd like to know what others think about this (including "shocking" if that's your opinion).

Here's 3 views of the same cave, two the same and one from a slightly different spot. I'd be interested in if you have a preference - one was done with HDR software and the other two I combined bits and pieces of the differently exposed frames to create my own HDR. They are more realistic but I'm not so sure they are better than the HDR version. I'd really like your comments/likes about them.

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 13, 2011, 3:49 PM   #2

There's always non-humans at the beach.

Birds:

And I noticed this bird - I've never actually noticed one of these fellows at the beach. It was looking for lunch:

Which it found:

Here's a lady who's obviously on guard duty for her humans.

And then there's evidence of departed wildlife.

Old Dec 13, 2011, 3:57 PM   #3

They don't want you to forget where you are:

They had the end of the pier closed off for some awesome looking holiday decorations.

Walking back down the pier (handheld shot)

One of the main "drags" of town (also hand-held)

Early Sunday morning there was quite a bit of clouds. The moon did come out to play briefly.

It was a very relaxing weekend, a wonderful break from our usual hectic lives. I want to go back!
Old Dec 13, 2011, 6:41 PM   #4

These are very nice photos, and I can't see anything that looks unnatural in the one you cut & pasted the ocean and sky. Sounds like a nice trip, and all for a bowl of chowder. I hope it was good!
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2011, 7:38 PM   #5

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Beautiful compositions...I especially like how you used the rocks to frame the horizon in the first several. Looks like a lovely spot for a get-away!

Jehan
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2011, 7:51 PM   #6

Very nice series. I love the black and white Topaz shot.
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2011, 9:44 PM   #7

# 1 and 4 to 8 excellent.

Like that modified pix (B+W) that you were wondering if it was too harsh. IMO...not at all...really striking...grabbed my attention right away.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2011, 11:19 PM   #8

Quite a few of these pictures are composites in some way. The first one was taken with the DA 10-17 fisheye. I had set Lightroom to automatically add lens profiles to a number of the shots I took with this lens, it suffers from both CA and fringing in high contrast situations. Lightroom does an excellent job of getting rid of both, but it also does perspective/distortion corrections, basically de-fishing them. I normally don't like the way it handles this, and (since I also have the 12-24) I usually want the distortion. In the case of the first one, I took the left side from the de-fished version to have a straight and level horizon line and the rest of it with the fish-eye distortion for the rocks.

The second one of the last set - the pier and the tree is another composite. I used the DA*50-135, which is subject to lens flare at night. Also, the lens had some dust on it so there was some additional vague reflection in a couple of other spots. I did a version using Adjust 5 and was delighted how it brought out the detail in the pier and the tree, but it also accentuated the vague dust reflections in the sky more than I liked (I had already cloned out the repeated lights/flare). So I did a version without Adjust and used most of the sky from that one along with the Adjust version of the pier and lights. I liked that version best.

I'm glad others like the b&w sketch version of the cave. I thought it was striking also, just something to be used in small doses and it is quite harsh.

When Jason (Inferno) was at SLO, he would occasionally go to Pismo to take surfing pictures, so he was familiar with the area. The's a small cafe in Pismo, called the Splash Cafe, that has excellent clam chowder. So whenever I mentioned that we were thinking about making a run for clam chowder, he knew where I was going and it became sort-of a joke. This trip was no different than any other - only instead of clam chowder for lunch, we had clam chowder for dinner.

Going back to equipment, all these pictures were taken with the K5 and a variety of lenses. I change lenses fairly often, even at the beach, and haven't had a problem as long as I'm careful (have your back to the wind!).

#1, 2 - DA 10-17
#3 - DA*300
#4, 5 - DA 10-17
#6 - DA 35 Macro Ltd
#7, 8 - DA 10-17

Second set (9-14): all with the DA*300

Third set:
#15 - DA 12-24
#16, 17 - DA*50-135
#18, 19 - DA 12-24
#20 - DA*50-135

The long exposures of the pier and lights were taken by putting the camera on a railing and using a wireless remote to limit any camera shake. Even though I had brought the tripod on the trip, I carried the Lowepro shoulder bag and didn't take the tripod. So I had to get somewhat creative for long exposures.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 1:20 PM   #9

A really interesting series. I like #3 the best.

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2011, 7:49 PM   #10

Great compositions, I really like the beach rock shots and the and the decorations on the pier

Hans

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote