Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 16, 2011, 8:10 AM   #1

Default Internal Flash Just Stopped Working

Been away from the forum for some time. I've had my istDL from new and love the camera. It has worked flawlessly since day 1. A couple of days ago though the internal flash stopped working. The flash pops up when needed but it does not fire. Any ideas as to what the problem might be? It does not seem to matter whether I set auto flash or manual, problem persists. Happened to others? Any idea what solution entails?

If this proves an expensive fix, I'll start looking for another Pentax body as I have a number of lenses. Are K10 and K20 bodies worth considering or better to jump right to one of the newer K series? ... then of course need to think through those options.

Thanks, Mike
mgedit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 16, 2011, 10:38 AM   #2

Don't know where you buy your equipment-I have purchased quite a bit of used equipment from KEH-really good, used equipment-plus I think they are now offering a (6) month warranty. IMHO the K20d is far superior to the K10d and in the used market is not that much more $$
DMJJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2011, 11:10 AM   #3

Thanks for the input. Any idea what a K20 body is selling for? I've seen a couple with 2 kit lenses selling for around 650. Is that in the right ball park?
Old Dec 16, 2011, 1:00 PM   #4

Just checked their website-have a K20d body for $465 with free shipping. It's their rating of EX+ which I believe is 85/90% of new. I have bought from them since the mid 90's with never a problem-or you can gamble on Ebay
DMJJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2011, 1:06 PM   #5

Thanks. Saw that one. Shipping across border to Canada can be an issue. Cheers, Mike
Old Dec 16, 2011, 3:21 PM   #6

I know someone who got a flash fixed locally on a K10 for a reasonable cost, so that might be an option. However, if you are interested in upgrading, here's my "take" of the K10 vs. the K20 question.

The K10's image quality is very similar to the DS/K100 cameras, it just has more pixels so the pictures/files are bigger. My personal thought is that the camera didn't resolve that much more information than the 6 mp cameras. The K20's image quality is different - it's natural setting has more saturation and there's definitely more detail because the sensor had better resolution. While it didn't make much difference with my old kit lens, the detail was noticeably finer with the DA*50-135. If you have some good old glass, you'll see it more.

The K10 (like the K20) has two adjustment wheels, and that's wonderful to have. the K20 allows more ways to customize how they operate which many people love (but which I didn't take advantage of - just left it with the default settings).

If you want pretty much exactly what you had with the DS, adding the extra megapixels (but not a lot of extra resolving power) and the better adjustment controls then the K10 might be the way to go. I'd rather get the K20, I just loved the image quality and the slightly more refined controls. It was also the first Pentax dSLR to have live view, if you want to use that.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2011, 3:48 PM   #7

Thank you for taking the time to explain the differences between the K10 and K20. I was leaning to the K20 if I decide to upgrade. Of course, now I see there are even new options such as the K5, KR, and KX. How does the K20 compare in performance and features to these three? I don't "need" the newest, just considering options. Cheers, Mike
Old Dec 16, 2011, 11:43 PM   #8

I haven't owned the KR or handled the KX at all, so I only have an opinion of the KR's size. The KR is really small, smaller than the DS. I was surprised at how much I liked the red KR I looked at, always wanted a white one.

The K10/K20 is the largest of the cameras. The K5 and KR have a different interface than the earlier Pentax cameras, I think the KX is more like these too. The K10 and K20 have an interface along the lines of the DS, just with lots more options. I prefer the K5 - the info button gives you access to quickly change a number of things that were buried in menus on the DS and just seems to me much more logical (once I got used to it). I found it a bit frustrating/disorienting when I first got it. There are things that I just didn't bother changing on the DS/K100 because it was more bother to change them, and they are easy to change now.

The K5 is just an awesome camera - it has more dynamic range than any of the earlier Pentax cameras and excellent high ISO capabilities. I loved the DS and still have a K100 that I use mostly with a Hoya R72 filter (the K5 has a very efficient filter to block IR light), I'm still a fan of that 6 mp sensor. But the K5 is just that much more useful.

I liked the images I got from the K20, it was a camera I was very satisfied to own. There wasn't quite as much dynamic range as the DS, but they made up for it with a bit of extra saturation and a slightly more "punchy" output (I usually shoot raw). I really liked the camera and was sad to sell it, even though I knew it was going to a great new home. But a couple of days with the K5 and I quickly forgot the K20, it's that much better to me. But if money is no issue, buy the K5.

The KX produces excellent quality pictures. One of the biggest complaints people had was the fact that it didn't have red focus indicator lights. It also has only one adjustment wheel, like the DS and K100 cameras. They were added back in on the KR.

Another option on the K20 and K5 is the ability to change settings on the camera in case a particular lens didn't focus right on it. One of the biggest complaints I had with the K10 is that mine didn't focus right with many of my lenses and there was no way to adjust it. One of my lenses front focuses with every camera I've used it on, another one slightly back-focused with the K20 but is accurate with the K5, so it's wonderful to be able to make adjustments on the camera for specific lenses.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2011, 10:59 AM   #9

Thank you so very much for sharing your experience and insight. Very helpful and thought-provoking. I greatly appreciate the fact that you took the time to help me. Cheers, Mike
Old Dec 17, 2011, 4:34 PM   #10

G'day Mike

Another option entirely is to consider one of the less-expensive external flashguns that provide eTTL operations ... maybe a Sigma or a Metz

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote