Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 17, 2011, 11:58 PM   #1

Default spheres

One of the really cool posts for the current bi-weekly challenge was by saly, who posted what looked like a reflection in a bulb, but was really a process that takes a square and makes it into a sphere. It's very cool and addicting! As I played around with it this evening, I came up with two that I thought were really cool. I actually took the process one step further, by instead of cropping out the part of the picture not used for the sphere, I took the sphere and put it back on the original picture and came up with this:

This second one is more typical of what I saw when I was looking at the instructions. Only I couldn't resist playing a bit with it, too, and added in some of the original background on the corners. I need to practice drawing circles, to get the selection of the globe correct.

I've just begun to scratch the surface of what you can do with this, I'm going to have fun playing around with this for a while.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 18, 2011, 8:57 AM   #2

Some interesting images, You achieved some nice results, Where was the challenge I would like to read a little more about it

Hans

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2011, 9:21 AM   #3

The bi-weekly challenge is actually about festive lighting. From Steve's forum's main page/menu, scroll down to the "post your pictures" section and it's either last or next to last, right before the section on software. It's the thread about circle of lights. She also posted a link to an earlier thread about how to create them: Now for some fun... .

The bi-weekly challenge has been lots of fun, I skip some topics but most I play around with.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 2:48 PM   #4

A few more examples. Is this ever fun! And you can get significantly different results, depending on what selection you start off with. This won't quite appeal to everyone, but I think it's very cool. This first one I used a couple of layers and used a drop shadow and an inner shadow to try to give it a bit of depth. I think there's better ways of going about giving this a 3D feel, but I'd have to do some research how to do it.

And a butterfly (both these are based on photos I took a long time ago - I'm still cataloging/keywording my old pictures and these happened to be in a folder I recently worked on).

Then, here are three that are based on the same picture. I just changed the original selection, so different parts of the picture were converted differently.

The original shot:

And then the spheres:

Does anyone have a preference between the three? I still can't quite make the selection to get the effect that I want without a bunch of trial and error. And sometimes what I get is totally unexpected and better than I had planned.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 4:15 PM   #5

Oh these are fantastic ! I can see these are going to be TOTALLY addictive !

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2011, 11:46 PM   #6

I've been playing around with this, trying different things. I discovered that if you only rotate the square 90 degrees instead of 180 degrees, it does interesting things to the corners. The sphere itself is off, so what I tried was to make 3 layers - the first one I leave alone, the top one I do the sphere the way the instructions say to, and then the middle layer I rotate the square 90 degrees instead of 180. Then I select the sphere on the top layer (by the way, shift-option on a Mac with the elliptical tool forces it to a circle and starts it in the center, I looked it up) and use command-J to create a new layer of just that selection. Get rid of the old layer with the square and that should overlay the good sphere on top of the neat looking corners from the middle layer. Crop to the sphere. I thought this one was a nice example of that:

The first one I made the sphere and took out the corners, leaving the whole original picture with the sphere on top of it. I thought it worked well with the moon/cloud picture.

The second pier picture is more like what I've been getting most of the time, where the background corners aren't that different than the outside of the sphere. The first pier picture I darkened the corners quite a bit (made two layers, used a layer adjustment layer to darken the under layer, then got rid of the corners on the upper layer, leaving the brighter sphere on top of the darker corners).

This is great fun, and how I love using different layers to get different effects.

Anyone else want to try?
Old Dec 19, 2011, 8:51 AM   #7

A cool technique that you seem to have mastered quickly. Love the pictures and the effect.

Thanks for sharing.

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2011, 11:15 AM   #8

Hi Harriiet,

Very cool find!

I use PSPPX4, and had to adapt the process a little, but it works fine. Here's my first attempt -- I also rotated the selection again before pasting it on the original background, then used the clone tool and warp brush to make the image in the sphere more symmetrical as I have something of a fixation on that. . .

I will be doing more of these. . . "addicting" is probably a bit too weak a term. . .

Scott
Attached Images

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2011, 9:48 PM   #9

Oooh, very cool, Scott! Glad to see that I'm not the only one who finds this great fun. I'm so happy that saly posted about it in the bi-weekly challenge, I wouldn't have seen it otherwise.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 10:51 PM   #10

Very, very cool. I see I have a definite play session in my future when I get all my papers graded.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote