Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 23, 2011, 7:47 PM   #1

Default Auto Focus K20

Just got my new-to-me K20, which is very nice. Have a question about the auto focus with kit lenses. It does not seem to be working with the "half down" shutter activation, but it works fine if I press the AF button on back of camera. I have the camera set at AF-S on front of camera. Is there some other setting that might need changing that would account for this behaviour. Many thanks. Mike
mgedit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 23, 2011, 9:00 PM   #2

Mike, I usually keep my K20 on AF-S, and it auto-focuses very quickly when the shutter button is depressed part way. I don't think you have an incorrect setting -- it sounds like there might be a problem with the shutter button. I hope someone else on this forum can help more than I can.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2011, 9:24 AM   #3

There is a setting in the custom menu that changes the AF function so that the camera works like what you are describing (AF with the button only). I can't quite remember which menu item it is and I don't have access to any of the manuals. Check the owners manual for which one it is. There are lots of people who prefer having the camera set up this way, and there are times when I wish I had remembered that you could set the camera this way (like when using focus and recompose, then accidentally letting up on the half-pressed shutter so the camera refocuses on the wrong thing). Note to self - look up the owners manual when I get home to see how to change it on the K5.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2011, 12:36 PM   #4

Hi mgedit,

Take a look at Menu item #14 in the Custom Menu. It should be AF by Press Halfway. If this is set to "OFF", then that's the problem. Change the menu selection and all should be good.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2011, 10:32 AM   #5

Thanks for the suggestion. I wondered if that might be the problem, but had not yet found that setting. Just had a look and that was the issue ... Thanks so much. Merry Christmas to all. Cheers, Mike
Old Dec 25, 2011, 2:12 PM   #6

This is another example of what makes this such a great forum! I've had my K20 for about 3 years, and had no idea that feature even existed. I'm glad your question was answered Mike, and I thank both Harriet and Scott for illuminating us all.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2011, 12:00 PM   #7

I agree 100%. Online forums like this are a tremendous resource thanks to those who take the time to share their insight. Cheers, Mike