Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 24, 2011, 10:55 AM   #1

Default K5 AE-L Problem

I've used the AE-L feature on my previous *istDS & K10 to lock the exposure by pressing the shutter button half way, switching to manual focus and taking a sequence of adjacent shots to stitch together to make a panorama - best results being obtained by not auto focusing & changing the exposure.

However, the K5 doesn't always lock the exposure. The exposure lock indicator '*' is lit but when you swing the camera around to the next shot it will sometimes, not always, change the exposure - WHY, it's supposed to be locked.

I'd set the Meter Operating Time to 30S, AE is locked when focus is locked & AE is linked to AF Point during Multi-segment metering (as done for the *istDS & K10).

I've changed the AE to not be locked when focus is locked * turned off AE is linked to AF Point during Multi-segment metering but with no difference.

I changed the metering mode from Multi-segment Metering to Centre-weighted Metering which seems to LOCK the exposure and gets me around the problem.

But, why should the exposure changed when it locked under Multi-segment - if you just press the shutter half way to lock AF, then press AE and swing the camera through an arc, you can see the exposure value change (it doesn't on the *istDS or K10). It doesn't happen every time but IMHO it shouldn't happen at all.

Is this a fault on my K5 or is it inherent in the firmware?
Attached Images

Last edited by Catbells; Dec 24, 2011 at 11:23 AM.
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 24, 2011, 1:17 PM   #2

Hi CB,

Are you keeping the shutter button at half press during the whole process? The half press position is just a light touch, and it's possible that you're removing your finger while repositioning the camera.

You can alternately hold the AE-L button throughout the process. . .

. . . or use M mode and the Green button to set the initial exposure, which would be my first choice in this situation.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2011, 2:19 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by snostorm View Post
Are you keeping the shutter button at half press during the whole process?
No, because I take a number of shots in a sequence to stitch into a panorama.
Quote:
You can alternately hold the AE-L button throughout the process.
According to the manual, the exposure should remain locked for twice the meter monitoring time (30S x 2 i.e 60S) even after releasing the finger from the AE-L button, so it shouldn't be necessary to keep it pressed the whole time - but I'll give it a go to see if it works.
Quote:
or use M mode and the Green button to set the initial exposure, which would be my first choice in this situation
If all else fails, I can use this mode, but it would be easier to keep to same Mode of operation.

Thanks for suggestions but given that the *istDS & K10 didn't behave in this way, was it just luck or is there an issue with my K5 or the firmware?

Update:
Updating the firmware to v1.12 resolves the problems BUT only with the camera at default settings. If CS5 menu setting 'AE-L with AF Locked' is set to ON it will regularly fail on all modes (except TAv Mode) even though it's a legitimate setting as referred in the User Manual.

Interestingly, in TAv Mode you can even set C6 'AE linked to AF Point' set to ON & it still works
JUST LIKE the *istDS & K10 that I own!

Last edited by Catbells; Apr 18, 2012 at 10:19 AM. Reason: Update:
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote