Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 26, 2011, 8:46 AM   #1

Default Tips for New K-x user and windows

Hi

Anyone have any tips for a new user on how to expose for a candid picture of someone in front of a window? I was in aperture priority and spot auto focus. I tried to focus on the face and then the window both pictures resulted in under exposed shot.

Thanks
for any help
Mark
Panasonic FZ-100, FZ-150, LX5, LX7, Pentax K-x & K-5, Bower Flash, FA-50 1.7,FA-100 2.8, FA-135 2.8, DA-35 2.4,DA-18-135 3.5,DA Limited 15 4, DA Limited 70 2.4, DAL 18-55, DAL 55-300, Pentax 1.7 Teleconverter, Sigma 70-200 2.8
popellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 26, 2011, 3:15 PM   #2

Try spot metering, not spot autofocus. Also exposure compensation is another way.
philneast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2011, 9:17 PM   #3

Spot metering might work, but could overexpose the window. Try fill flash or bounce flash to lighten the face, but be careful to avoid reflections of the flash in the window glass.

Last edited by penolta; Dec 26, 2011 at 9:19 PM.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2011, 10:48 PM   #4

Put the camera in live view and try to add the exposure compensation maybe +2, with LV you can see the out come, or you could just go with manual in LV what you see is what you get change exposure until you see what you want

Hans

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:

Last edited by hnikesch; Dec 26, 2011 at 10:52 PM.
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2011, 7:32 AM   #5

Thank you all for your responses I will give these a try. I did try exposure compensation and it did help and it did overexpose the window. But I wasn't concerned about that at the time.
Panasonic FZ-100, FZ-150, LX5, LX7, Pentax K-x & K-5, Bower Flash, FA-50 1.7,FA-100 2.8, FA-135 2.8, DA-35 2.4,DA-18-135 3.5,DA Limited 15 4, DA Limited 70 2.4, DAL 18-55, DAL 55-300, Pentax 1.7 Teleconverter, Sigma 70-200 2.8
popellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2011, 9:28 PM   #6

Flash is probably the best thing if you don't want to overexpose the window. Another thought would be to exposure bracket and do an HDR, but that doesn't always work well (depends on a lot of factors). If you don't care about the window try spot metering, making sure that you have what you want exposed correctly under the spot (don't do what I did and have the spot over a black sweater!).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2011, 2:43 AM   #7

Hi Mark,

I agree that fill flash is probably the best option.

Here's one way to do it:

Assuming that you're using Auto ISO and Av priority, and Center weighted or Spot metering. . .

Aim the camera so the light from the window dominates the central portion of the frame and activate the meter momentarily, then switch to M mode. By activating the meter momentarily, you set up a proper ISO for M mode since when you switch to M, the camera will automatically choose the last ISO chosen.

With the camera's frame still dominated by the light from the window, pop up the flash and press the Green Button to set the exposure in M mode to properly meter the light from the window. By popping the flash up first, the shutter speed setting will be set at under the max flash sync speed (1/180). Do not touch the Green Button again until after you've taken the shot

Reframe, focus on your subject, and take the shot with flash.

The shutter speed and aperture should give you proper exposure for the light from the window. P-TTL should give you proper flash exposure for your subject. If you want to tweak the flash exposure, you can do it with flash compensation in the flash menu.

To go back to shooting the way you were previously, all you have to do is push the flash back down and turn the Mode dial back to Av priority --everything will revert back to the way you were shooting before. this might seem pretty involved, but do it a couple of times, and it will become second nature, especially if you take the time to understand why you're doing each step.

There are other ways to accomplish the same thing -- with AE Lock, for example, but I think that using M mode is the easiest for me. . .

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote