Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 27, 2011, 1:40 PM   #11

Looking forward to more trips across Rocky Fork wilderness, and hope you enjoyed the trip. Thanks so much for any comments & critique!
Attached Images

mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2011, 10:04 AM   #12

On your first set of waterfall pictures (Laurel Falls), I noticed that two of them are quite a bit bluer toned than the rest (though not the same). I would guess that's more what the camera decided for a white balance, instead of the lens, since they were taken with different lenses (am I right in that assumption - I looked at the exif and it looks like the first one was taken with a manual lens, while the last one, also bluish tint, was taken with at least an "A" lens).

The two pictures of the bridge look almost identical - the only thing I notice is that the bridge looks level in the second one, while it's sloping down a bit in the first one. Don't really have a preference, though they made me wonder if the bridge were actually level or not.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2011, 7:05 PM   #13

Harriet - Thanks for the very helpful feedback!
First Laurel Falls photo is taken with Vivitar 28mm F2.8 Close-Focus lens - very sharp and clear, but definitely has a bluish cast. I usually correct this in PP, but kind of liked this bluish tone. Perhaps you (and others) don't though?
Last photo taken with DA 15, and the blue tone here is because the sky was clearing, and blue sky was reflecting on the water.

Thanks for reminding me to correct the tilt in the first bridge photo! Difference is a slight one in the shutter speed, resulting in slight difference in appearance of flowing water.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 8:22 PM   #14

I also preferred the Laurel Falls photos without the slight bluish cast. Of course, I wasn't there and therefore I have no idea what the original scene looked like. Regardless of the white balance, these photos are wonderful and delightful. I have always enjoyed your summer time waterfall photos, and I can now say that I'm equally fond of your winter waterfalls. I think i remember reading in some outdoors newsletter about the footbridge receiving an award. It's a beautiful work of craftsmanship.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2011, 4:53 PM   #15

More lovely waterfalls. I don't see much difference in the Laurel Falls ones besides that the bridge seems unlevel in the first one. Maybe it's my feeble eyes.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2011, 7:14 PM   #16

MtnMan - Thanks for the input on the falls photos. Glad you enjoy the wintery falls too, and hope to be able to post some more soon. It is indeed a great bridge, I believe the award was back in the early 1990's...

Patty - Thanks so much! Laurel Fork photos: you are right that it is a VERY slight difference, I probably shouldn't have bothered posting the comparison...
Old Dec 30, 2011, 8:32 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole View Post
Of course we couldn't visit all 10,000 acres of Rocky Fork in one day, so we chose Lower Higgins Creek, up in the northeast corner of the wilderness. Sun and clouds kept playing "tag" with each other, making for some interesting light on the creek.
I love this set, especially the top right image. Perfect! As always your photo's are just beautiful. I hope to get out west soon. Love it out there.
tony3dd is offline   Reply With Quote