Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 30, 2011, 9:45 PM   #1

Default Thank you Sony

One of the few competitive disadvantages of the latest Pentax DSLR's for many owners or prospective buyers has been the lack of a fold-out LCD view screen for low level, overhead, and tabletop / macro / microscope viewing, or for live motion picture monitoring. These screens have been appearing with greater frequency on other makers' models. Sony has issued a 5" LCD High Definition monitor (with hood for outdoor use) presented on their website as for the new alpha 65 and 77 cameras, but actually useable for any DSLR with an HDMI output connector, which the Pentax K-7 and K-5 have. It mounts in the hot shoe (comes with two mounts, one for the Minolta/Sony proprietary hotshoe, and another for everyone elses, or mounted off camera on any flash bracket. It works only in live view by "rerouting" the image from the built-in LCD screen (which blanks out) to the external monitor. Very useful, and may male it unnecessary for some pentaxians to add a Sony or other similarly equipped DSLR, ILC, or bridge camera to their arsenal (as I had done), or (perish the thought) to switch from Pentax to another brand with a fold-out screen. Such screens have been used by motion picture professionals, but at many times the price of this one.

http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/sto...accessory=true

Last edited by penolta; Dec 30, 2011 at 11:31 PM.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 31, 2011, 10:31 AM   #2

That looks very cool! I gather the optional bracket attaches to the tripod mount and has a flash mount - looks like you could get any flash bracket to use with it. Hmmm, get a flash bracket and then the cords to use my 540 flash off-camera wired (instead of wireless) and the bracket could be used for either this or the flash. I've often thought of getting the pieces to use the flash off-camera since wireless doesn't work well in better light. This is going on my "want" list, a very cool find!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2012, 8:26 AM   #3

How timely that you found this product as I am one of those seriously considering switching systems to get decent live view and the articulating screen. I would have to see a review of this item, and what it looks like on a camera, before I would consider buying it. I have never owned any DSLR other than Pentax and have been waiting patiently for the above functionality. It does not look like it is anywhere on the horizon. FYI: Changing systems costs a lot of money.
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2012, 11:59 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pboerger View Post
How timely that you found this product as I am one of those seriously considering switching systems to get decent live view and the articulating screen. I would have to see a review of this item, and what it looks like on a camera, before I would consider buying it. I have never owned any DSLR other than Pentax and have been waiting patiently for the above functionality. It does not look like it is anywhere on the horizon. FYI: Changing systems costs a lot of money.
Not so sure about that horizon bit - with the new cameras coming out this year (and maybe announced in the next month or so ?) I'd be very surprised to not see articulated screens on some of them.

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote