Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 3, 2012, 3:36 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
Tony - what types of photography are you experienced in? You've posted vacation shots here, but I haven't seen other types. Your vacation shots are very nice - but there's a big difference between a nice vacation shot and something you can sell. If cityscapes and landscapes are what you want to do - that's great. But if you want to sell any type of work you need to hone your skill at it so you need to decide what type of photography you want to do. So, what types of photography do you want to earn money at?
Actually I'm probably most interested in nature, and wild life. Living in Orlando, there's not a lot of opportunity.
tony3dd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2012, 3:57 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony3dd View Post
Actually I'm probably most interested in nature, and wild life. Living in Orlando, there's not a lot of opportunity.
Follow-up questions:
Given what you said above, are you still wanting to make money shooting nature/wildlife? Or are you now wanting to make money doing other types of photography?

If you want to make money in nature/wildlife you're likely going to have to spend a lot of money on travel - and, with wildlife photography you'll spend a lot of time for very few images.

There are a LOT of amateur wildlife/nature togs out there. There are very few making money at it. Stock sales of those photos is going to be very tough - you really need to be special at it. Your best bet is to get on sites where the serious nature/wildlife photographers gather and find out who is actually selling and what avenues they're using. Wildlife photography takes up a LOT of time - especially when you have to travel to get to the wildlife. So, it's going to cost you a lot to develop your skills and get to a point where you can make a marketable product in a quick amount of time. Some areas, people have a natural advantage - they can work with tourist shops to sell post cards, calendars, photo books etc. because the area is naturally scenic and has good wildlife. That doesn't sound like Orlando area. Go to some of the other areas of florida and you then compete with local photographers who live there and can hone their skills daily.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2012, 11:02 PM   #13

John left out one thing about nature/landscape photography - you have to keep very unsocial hours when traveling. My other half only half understands when I say "we've got to get on the road an hour before dawn because I need to be at [fill in the blank location] at sunrise, so I can get the right light." And when he wants to eat dinner, I want to be outside getting the golden hour before sunset. That can be hard on a vacation. Wildlife photography can be almost as bad, I think.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2012, 1:29 AM   #14

I'm not sure how to make money with photography anymore. Todays it's probably pretty much impossible.
tony3dd is offline   Reply With Quote