Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 2, 2012, 7:52 AM   #1

Default Ok, I'm confused.

I now have 15 shots up on the Pentax Phito Galery. The last three were all excepted. Something doesn't seem right here. Out of about 28 submissions, 15 have been approved. Out of those 4 are being used on product pages. I thought getting up there was a special thing. I'm getting suspicious about the voting process now. Does anyone know the facts behind this?
tony3dd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 2, 2012, 8:03 AM   #2

there are messages to the same affect elsewhere - seems like just about everything is being accepted now.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2012, 8:13 AM   #3

What's the point? That's really sad.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 4:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony3dd View Post
What's the point? That's really sad.
I agree. When the PPG was first created, entry was totally judged by a panel from Pentax. Having a photo accepted was very extremely difficult and a definite badge of honor IMO. After a while, they went to the member voting system, and acceptance became considerably less discriminating, but perhaps more democratic.

Many felt that this significantly diluted the overall quality of the Gallery. I was one of these and stopped submitting photos long ago, even though I was improving significantly as a photographer. I've only rarely even visited the site in the last few years, so I really can't comment on the present overall quality.

I think that the turn in format was unfortunate, but acceptance still means something -- that a substantial number of viewers saw enough merit in the images that you submitted that they voted for acceptance. That has to count for something. . . There are really relatively few places where you can get this kind of feedback on your images from a reasonably large and diverse group of photographers.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2012, 4:27 PM   #5

Thanks for the input Scott. I suppose your right.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 10:47 PM   #6

While I suspect that the quality isn't as high as it once was, the fact you have had as many accepted means that your entries are hitting a note with your fellow photographers, since they are the ones that are voting yes or no.

I've never signed up for PPG - I didn't want to vote for others pictures (don't feel competent to do that - what do I know). Also, when I first got a digital camera, I started to get active on Sony's Imagestation website (now long gone). There was a POD thread each month where anyone could post shots and everyone could see them and comment on any of them, with website judges picking a daily picture to feature and a monthly winner for a prize. At first it was fun to go through them all and comment on many but pretty soon the threads got filled up with complete junk and it was very time-consuming to go through them all, to find the really good ones. I've heard that at one point PPG was getting a bit like that - someone submitting a whole series of similar shots instead of choosing a couple that brought something different to the table.

Having seen your pictures posted here for a while, I know you wouldn't do that - you would only submit ones that you thought were your best pictures, and each one would offer something different. It wouldn't surprise me that others would appreciate that, and be more likely to vote for yours. In addition, your shots from Italy were really good - like the one with the moon in the window was not only a brilliant composition, it was technically excellent - so perhaps you are selling yourself short? In any case, congrats, be very happy that you are on the right track with your photography.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2012, 7:52 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
While I suspect that the quality isn't as high as it once was, the fact you have had as many accepted means that your entries are hitting a note with your fellow photographers, since they are the ones that are voting yes or no.

I've never signed up for PPG - I didn't want to vote for others pictures (don't feel competent to do that - what do I know). Also, when I first got a digital camera, I started to get active on Sony's Imagestation website (now long gone). There was a POD thread each month where anyone could post shots and everyone could see them and comment on any of them, with website judges picking a daily picture to feature and a monthly winner for a prize. At first it was fun to go through them all and comment on many but pretty soon the threads got filled up with complete junk and it was very time-consuming to go through them all, to find the really good ones. I've heard that at one point PPG was getting a bit like that - someone submitting a whole series of similar shots instead of choosing a couple that brought something different to the table.

Having seen your pictures posted here for a while, I know you wouldn't do that - you would only submit ones that you thought were your best pictures, and each one would offer something different. It wouldn't surprise me that others would appreciate that, and be more likely to vote for yours. In addition, your shots from Italy were really good - like the one with the moon in the window was not only a brilliant composition, it was technically excellent - so perhaps you are selling yourself short? In any case, congrats, be very happy that you are on the right track with your photography.
Thank you very much for the more than kind comments. I have sent them nothing but the very best photo's I've taken. I throw out more photo's than I'd like to admit. Out of the 1500 or so photos shot in Italy, I ended up keeping about 950. Those 950 have some very similar shots that could go as well. I find dumping those shots to painful, so I keep them. I think your selling yourself short. You should enter some of your work. You take wonderfully creative images that you should share with the community. Go for it. I am so glad you helped talk me into sticking with the K5 in my first troublesome days. It turns out to be a fantastic tool which has completely changed my shooting style. I'm not so sure my photography has improved as much as the opportunity to get shots I would have otherwise missed. What I really wish is to find a way to actually make money with my photographs. So far I can't come up with a thing.

Last edited by tony3dd; Jan 3, 2012 at 7:56 AM.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 8:36 AM   #8

Tony - Here's my take as an "outsider" - that web site has turned into what many gear forums have always been - a shot is 'great' simply because of the brand of camera used. If you really want to challenge yourself - forget brand specific sites. Want to see how good your landscape photos are? post in forums where outstanding landscape photographers post - regardless of camera system. Same is true for all types of photography. Enter local contests if you want to compete. The challenge there is you won't get critique. But if you really want critique or just to measure yourself - get yourself out of the comfort of being told your shots are great just because they're taken with the same brand camera someone else uses.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 8:43 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony3dd View Post
What I really wish is to find a way to actually make money with my photographs. So far I can't come up with a thing.
Tony - what types of photography are you experienced in? You've posted vacation shots here, but I haven't seen other types. Your vacation shots are very nice - but there's a big difference between a nice vacation shot and something you can sell. If cityscapes and landscapes are what you want to do - that's great. But if you want to sell any type of work you need to hone your skill at it so you need to decide what type of photography you want to do. So, what types of photography do you want to earn money at?
Old Jan 3, 2012, 12:54 PM   #10

Talking to a pro today and he told me something I didn't know already, not only do you have to get 'model' release shots from street shots (and not just models) but also from e.g hotels and other businesses if their signage is prominent, local councils if you shoot the graffiti on a wall they own, and so on and so on .... !

Look into that side if you are planning in selling for marketing. If selling landscape, street, travel pics etc. to private buyers then it'll be a lot easier, but there is a lot of competition out there from serious togs and your shots had better be #$%# good !

Stock photos may be easier but some agencies will only accept shots from Canon /Nikon (usually because they have agreements with one brand or another, e.g Getty & Canon or AP & Nikon) or because they have bespoke software to handle the profiles from those two brands.

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC

Last edited by Frogfish; Jan 3, 2012 at 12:57 PM.
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote