Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 3, 2012, 2:56 PM   #1

Default Waiting (impatiently) for the Next Big Thing™

Greetings!

It's getting to that time of the year/eighteen months that Pentax should release Something Newand I am literally chomping at the bit, searching for any hints as to if and when a new Pentax DSLR will come out. I don't mind saying my K-7, while an excellent camera, that has served me well since I bought it, was also a bit of a let down personally. Noise is really the big problem, I don't often shoot higher than ISO400, but the K-7's noise any higher than that means I have had to work around the limitations more often than I would like. Video especially suffers from noise, and I bought the K-7 largely for the video functionality, you know it's bad when your cellphone performs better in low light.

The K-5 seemed to come out far too soon after the K-7 launched, so firmware updates dried up very quickly, and I couldn't really justify trading in a barely 6 month old camera and taking the financial hit.

I have read rumors of a monster 21.something MP Sony APS-C sensor model, a full frame "not quite pro but better than semi-pro" camera, but to be honest I would be happy with a slightly tweaked K-5 that had full manual video and the option of reduced resolution at higher framerates like the Nikon J1. Hell I would be happy if they brought out any old thing and I could just pick up a new K-5 at discount when stores clear stock of the "old" model.

I know a great deal of people here have K-5's, so my moans may seem more like buyers remorse, but it's frustrating sitting around waiting for *something* to happen. The last 6 months I have barely touched my camera other than taking tourist snapshots that I never looked at again, or just taking photo's of the kids.

I have even considered dumping Pentax entirely, hammering the credit card(s) and getting a Nikon D700 or Canon 5D MkII, at least then I could also walk into any camera store and know there's lenses/accessories there, also one of my bugbears.

Apologies for the epic rant.

Any thoughts/opinions?
Tamron Adaptall 2 - 28mm, 28-80mm, 500mm Mirror
Pentax KAF - 18-55mm WR, 28-105mm PowerZoom
Pentax K - 50mm f/2, 50mm f/1.7, 28mm f/2.2
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 3, 2012, 4:47 PM   #2

there is always something new in development - thats what R&D sections do.

MY K5 addresses the noise issues I have with my K10D.

I also love my Pentax lenses - favourites are a DA 21mm Limited and the DA* 50-135mm.

The * and Limited lenses mostly are excellent lenses well worth the extra money.

Last edited by philneast; Jan 3, 2012 at 4:47 PM. Reason: Fix typos
philneast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2012, 11:49 PM   #3

You have buyer's remorse. Sounds like you need to get the K-5 or at least another camera as you'll never be happy until you do.

I LOVE!!!!!!!! My K-5 and I can't imagine that it will be replaced this soon as it is such a good camera, unless they make a full frame version of it. The low noise at higher ISOs is amazing. I can shoot in burst mode at the lower fps burst setting for many seconds before it slows down but keeps shooting until the memory card is full. Its a sweet camera when you have the right lens and a fast class 10 SDHC card in it. Also the battery life at least for me is far more than the reviews and manual suggest you will get.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2012, 3:31 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photo 5 View Post
You have buyer's remorse. Sounds like you need to get the K-5 or at least another camera as you'll never be happy until you do.
There would be little point buying a K-5 at this stage (especially full price) as there should be something new out within the next few months... hopefully... Pentax aren't exactly regular with their release schedules.
Tamron Adaptall 2 - 28mm, 28-80mm, 500mm Mirror
Pentax KAF - 18-55mm WR, 28-105mm PowerZoom
Pentax K - 50mm f/2, 50mm f/1.7, 28mm f/2.2
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2012, 9:10 AM   #5

It will be interesting to see what Pentax brings to the photo shows in Jan-Feb time frame. But I doubt the K-5 is going anywhere and the prices right before Christmas were as low as they have ever been thanks to rebate (unsure if that is still in effect). Its not pointless to buy a K-5. The K-5 is one HELL of a GOOD camera that will last you for many years, unless your stuck on having the newest and latest camera that comes out.... then in that case you would have already upgraded from the K-67 to the K-5 and as soon as the next Pentax came out you'd dump the K-5 (which I won't put you in that catagory since you have yet to see the K-5 as a great camera or the one you should buy)

dave

dave

Last edited by Photo 5; Jan 4, 2012 at 11:21 AM.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 9:59 AM   #6

Ashley - I doubt the K5 is going to go much lower than it can be had for now (around US$950 new if you look around, GBP500 - 550) and it is a major step up from the K7 (which you know I also had before). I love it so much that I now have two ! Shooting at 3,200 isn't a worry and even 6,400 in the right circumstances. Noise ? What noise ? With the K7 I had to PP virtually all shots for noise, now with the K5 it's probably less than 30%.

Whatever comes out next is going to be around US$2,000 (or US$2,500 - 3,000 if FF) but the K5 is an instant game changer now and I'll certainly be hanging on to at least one of them whatever comes next.

BTW the D700 doesn't have any video ! But a better camera if you want superfast accurate AF and lower noise. This link can of course also be used to comare those two cameras to the K5.

See here : http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon_EO...-vs-Nikon_D700

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2012, 11:24 AM   #7

I am also finding the burst mode when shot using AF-C works really well on the K-5, which is a major step up from the Fuji HS20 I was using before. The K-5 is working so well that I'm not even in the looking or thinking mode of which camera will come next.........

dave
Old Jan 4, 2012, 6:50 PM   #8

I'm not at all concerned about what they'll be coming out with - I'm quite happy with the K5 and so am not bothering to read all the speculation about what might or might not happen. Full frame would only be of interest if the camera were the same size and weight as the K5 (not likely), so there's a very real possibility that I'll sit out the next update (for the first time since the K100 came out!). Extra MP means more hard drives and could mean additional noise and less dynamic range.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote